Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius `65 Plymouth Satellite

Well I know how a Ford 9 inch looks and the Mopar 8 3/4 isn't that far off in dimensions, I mean the ring gear is 8 3/4 inches for the Mopar axle and 9 for the Ford so it's only 1/4 of an inch difference and they physically have to fit in the housing.
I think it looks to be on the smallish side but I can't tell before I have seen the actual kit part with my own eyes, pictures can be deceiving.

Edited by Force

To my eye.....

The rear axle center section looks undersized

The transmission pan looks oversized

And the H pipe gap looks narrow with the exhaust pipes too close together leading into the mufflers

But again, sitting in the recliner looking at a picture becomes more opinion than fact. Looking forward to this kit.

Should be an 8 3/4 no? A990s got the dana 60?

Definitely 8 3/4 ; the Dana 60 didn't appear in factory-built cars until the 1966 model year ( Hemi with 4 speed ; optional with Torqueflite Super Performance Axle Package ) , then in 1967 models

(440 Magnum / Super Commando with 4 speed ; again optional with Torqueflite ).

The only car to come with the Dana 60 as standard equipment was the 1969 1/2 440 Six Pack / 6 Bbl , Super Bee / Road Runner ; it had 4.10 gear ; Sure Grip (colloq. , "Posi-Traction" , which is a G.M. name ) was standard with the Dana 60 (3.54 gear [ 4-speed standard diff only] , 4.10 optional [Torqueflite or 4-speed] ).

Many racers swapped-out the 8 3/4 for the Dana 60 ; not sure if this was acceptable in Stock classes for vehicles built prior to 1966...

Edited by 1972coronet

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm not seeing the "Satellite" scripts on the front fenders or on the panel by the right rear taillight. The rear panel should also have the tri-color rectangle under the "Satellite" script. Also not seeing the "PLYMOUTH" scripts on the hood or decklid. The "V" on the "Commando V8" script looks a little too large (tall maybe). I know these are just test shots but hopefully these are addressed before it's released! VERY excited about this kit!!

So I'm not seeing the "Satellite" scripts on the front fenders or on the panel by the right rear taillight. The rear panel should also have the tri-color rectangle under the "Satellite" script. Also not seeing the "PLYMOUTH" scripts on the hood or decklid. The "V" on the "Commando V8" script looks a little too large (tall maybe). I know these are just test shots but hopefully these are addressed before it's released! VERY excited about this kit!!

I would assume badging will be done with decals, as that is the typical current practice...

Agreed, I have built a couple of the Revell kits with the decals. No more. If etch isn't available, I won't buy the kit unless it is engraved. Decals make it look like a Hot Wheels car. Luckily, the main Revell offenders are the Cuda, Camaro and Impala, all of which have been done before. (AMT Impala CV, AMT Camaro, and the '71 Cuda which uses most of the same scripts.) You can fake the scripts with MCG etch, but they don't have the right look OOB.

Hopefully the engraving is added after the test shots, as has been done in the past. Moebius does a nice job with their surface details. It makes their models have that "Just right" look on the shelf.

BTW, I was just at the Church show a few weeks ago, and a Father and two kids had built 1955 Chrysler 300s together. They painted then all three colors. The Father painted his black, and the older kid did his guards red with an airbrush and the younger one used Tamiya racing white spray cans. (The off white that is close to Wimbledon white) They were all well foiled (Although the white one had a couple of paint marks by one of the emblems) They just stood out on the table, partly because of the size, and partly because of the chrome and foil. Those cars were huge and proud! The models got a lot of attention. Chrysler chose the perfect three colors to show off the chrome on those cars. (and three colors that worked well with the tan interior)

My statement was more a poke at those who declare they will not buy it unless it has the script. Really? That is going to keep you from buying it?

Fine, more cars for us Drag Racer types to modify into drag cars! Can't wait to hack the wheel wells forward on the body!

TS09_r082_01.jpg

My statement was more a poke at those who declare they will not buy it unless it has the script. Really? That is going to keep you from buying it?

I don't think anybody said that they wouldn't buy it.

But I can agree with Craig, it'd be a heck of a lot easier to remove any scripts than it would be to add them.

MCW already has and altered wheelbase Satellite in resin and it looks pretty good also.

So, $40 to 45 bucks for a body and some parts, plus, a donor kit for the remainder of the parts? Vs. a complete kit for maybe $35 that I can modify with a hobby saw and super glue, and a bit of filler.

Yup, going to be cutting me up some kits!

Fine, more cars for us Drag Racer types to modify into drag cars! Can't wait to hack the wheel wells forward on the body!

TS09_r082_01.jpg

Hmmm. I may do this with the MCW resin '65 I have, since it did not come with an interior. Thanks for posting this I love it!!! I cannot wait for the Mobieus kit, as when I was a kit, a friend had one, that was saddle with a black interior, 383/4 speed with Cragars. Nice car!!!!

Edited by Ron Hamilton

Apply those logo/emblem/nameplate decals to a thin piece of clear sheet acrylic or whatever, let it dry, cut it out around the decal and apply to the body with some Future or clear paint. It gives the decal just enough of a lift over the body surface to add dimension. I read about this in an old issue of the other model car magazine and used it on my tow truck.

Hmmm. I may do this with the MCW resin '65 I have, since it did not come with an interior. Thanks for posting this I love it!!! I cannot wait for the Mobieus kit, as when I was a kit, a friend had one, that was saddle with a black interior, 383/4 speed with Cragars. Nice car!!!!

That's cool!! Consider this one as well...

• 2 months later...

Here are a few shots of the Built up test shot of our 65 Satellite.

Final test shots with all packaging proofs are due to be sent to me this week end.

Hope to start production in the next 10 days - 2 weeks and ship kits in May

65-XL.jpg63-XL.jpg80%20%281%29-X2.jpg

Edited by Dave Metzner

Here are a few shots of the Built up test shot of our 65 Satellite.

Final test shots with all packaging proofs are due to be sent to me this week end.

Hope to start production in the next 10 days - 2 weeks and ship kits in May

65-XL.jpg

I'll admit that this one was not on my gotta have list......until I had the privilege of seeing a test shot........

WOW....not only well done but details so well done it is a must have.

Although not many ran in NASCAR....a number of them did in other series. I am going to try a Lindberg 64 Plymouth roll cage and parts to make a really nice stock car model.