Model Cars Magazine Forum

> MPC 1980 Road Runner

I sure would like to get this upcoming reissued kit and build it as a Super Coupe, but I think that would turn into a fairly-major conversion project.  From what I can tell, I'd need to replace the front bumper/grill/headlights piece for certain, and probably many of the interior pieces.  Weren't the 1:1 Super Coupes only built in the 1978 model-year?  Any Mopar experts out there that provide some insights as to what'd need to be done to this upcoming reissue for conversion into a decent Super Coupe replica model?

Edited by '70 Grande

It's been years since I watched the show. KTLA was where I always saw it. Tom Slick and George of the Jungle were my favorites, however.

Although, Super Chicken has one line that I remember to this day.... "You know the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred!"

Interesting discussion.  I've got a Volare promo that I've been saving for years.  I hope a new (or repopped) kit sees the light of day so I don't have to keep hoarding my promo (and so I don't have to deal with its dark blue plastic).

One of the obstacles to consider on these, if you are building one stock, is the front suspension.  Chrysler used a transverse torsion bar front end on these cars, as opposed to the longitudinal torsion bars you find on almost all Mopars before these came along.  They were actually used as a street rod front end swap before rodders discovered all the benefits of the Mustang II front end.  I'll be interested in seeing if MPC actually replicates the front suspension or just uses the same chassis as on the earlier A-body kits.

I owned a '79 Aspen back in the early '90s and it was really a pretty decent transportation tool, if slow with the 225-inch six.  I bought it with the notion of swapping K-members and putting a 440 in it, but I got bitten by the Mustang bug around that time and that was the end of what was only my second ever Mopar (the first being a '64 Barracuda).

One of the obstacles to consider on these, if you are building one stock, is the front suspension.  Chrysler used a transverse torsion bar front end on these cars, as opposed to the longitudinal torsion bars you find on almost all Mopars before these came along. 

Rest assured that the transverse-mount torsion bars are there , same chassis from 1976 (as a 1977) through the 1980 (last year for the F-bodies) . I have a '77 Volare annual (MPC never did a '76 model) and that was the first thing I checked ! Another bonus of the MPC F-body kits : Torqueflite trans , correct air cleaner , and underhood details !

I would assume MPC/AMT are not going to do decals that would be correct for an 80 Roadrunner.  It would be nice if Keith Marks might put them together.  I checked on his sight and it doesn't look like he is planning on it.   

• 2 months later...

Molded in white is great too see. I have an original (and only) 1979 issue that's molded in Black. white makes it a lot easier too paint.

I , too , have the c.1979 issue . Had it when the kit was new  ,but it "suffered" at the hands of a 10 year old's "skills" . I bought another one , factory-sealed , from eBay a few years back. My thinking  was , "This will never be reissued ! " . I'm glad that it's seeing the light of day after 36 years ( !! ) . I will say that the advantage of the original being moulded in black is that the air cleaner assembly has a default proper sheen to it !

At least this go'round the tyres will be much better than the original's 2-piece plastic pieces of cow dung !

Interesting discussion.  I've got a Volare promo that I've been saving for years.  I hope a new (or repopped) kit sees the light of day so I don't have to keep hoarding my promo (and so I don't have to deal with its dark blue plastic).

One of the obstacles to consider on these, if you are building one stock, is the front suspension.  Chrysler used a transverse torsion bar front end on these cars, as opposed to the longitudinal torsion bars you find on almost all Mopars before these came along.  They were actually used as a street rod front end swap before rodders discovered all the benefits of the Mustang II front end.  I'll be interested in seeing if MPC actually replicates the front suspension or just uses the same chassis as on the earlier A-body kits.

I owned a '79 Aspen back in the early '90s and it was really a pretty decent transportation tool, if slow with the 225-inch six.  I bought it with the notion of swapping K-members and putting a 440 in it, but I got bitten by the Mustang bug around that time and that was the end of what was only my second ever Mopar (the first being a '64 Barracuda).

Mark....What does your promo look like...?

Mark... That is cool...I like it.  If you decide not to do anything with it or..? PM me.

As is usually the case, I paid a bunch for it, and by the time I get around to doing anything with it, the kit will have been reissued.

I used to tell people, if there's an OOP kit you want reissued, just let me know and I'll buy an old on on eBay to big bucks, and the original will get reissued within months!

As is usually the case, I paid a bunch for it, and by the time I get around to doing anything with it, the kit will have been reissued.

I used to tell people, if there's an OOP kit you want reissued, just let me know and I'll buy an old on on eBay to big bucks, and the original will get reissued within months!

Mark...Id love to see yours get re-issued...then I could have another family owned one for the collection.

It does say Roadrunner Markings on the decal sheet.  I don't think the orginal decals had Roadrunner markings.    Now if we can just come up with correct 1980 Volare wheels.   

Edited by drodg