Model Cars Magazine Forum

'62 Bubble Top Belair

StevenGuthmiller

Here's another old build. As evidenced by the dust. :) Although I guess the dust under the hood adds a bit of a "used" appearence. This is, of course, the AMT kit. Built pretty much box stock except for the wheels & the air cleaners, as well as a few other added details. They include: Plumbed & wired engine, along with a few scratch built parts like the dip stick etc. Side glass, door locks & valve stems. I don't remember for certain the color on this one, but I believe it was 1969 Chevy "Azure Turquoise" from MCW in a rattle can. As I recall, it was a pretty nice kit to build, but it was probably 15 years ago so who knows! :)

Steve

2v23hvBuNxwUbWP.jpg2v23hvAQzxwUbWP.jpg2v23hvBKNxwUbWP.jpg2v23hvfS5xwUbWP.jpg2v23hvf7yxwUbWP.jpg2v23hvfi8xwUbWP.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

One of my favorite Chevrolets of all time. I'm glad you've built one of these and shared it with us, as it's one of the best '62 Bel Airs that I've seen in a long time. Good looking details in the engine bay and smooth paint as well. Your BMF work still amazes me, even if I know every time I see your post that it's gonna be awesome. Nice job.

Thanks everybody! Lee, The side windows are very easy. Just pieces of clear sheet plastic cut to size, trimmed with foil & glued in place. Mike, The "bubble top" roofline was the standard in '61 on all of the GM cars & was replaced in '62 buy the more formal "convertible look" tops in '62 on all except the '62 Belair hard top. There may have been some cheaper Pontiac, Buick or Olds hard tops that carried over the bubble top roof into '62 as well. Not sure about that. Steve