Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modeling disaster stories?

Disaster build you say…

How about this:

10445553_10202210005114313_3038625507399

10363390_10202210005554324_5630397330921

What happen?

Well a light bulb, a Styrofoam ice box… and the idea of accelerating the drying and curing the paint by heat…

It was the year 2000 I was young and inexperienced 14 years have passed and I have grow patience and a lot of experience

Disaster build you say…

How about this:

What happen?

Well a light bulb, a Styrofoam ice box… and the idea of accelerating the drying and curing the paint by heat…

It was the year 2000 I was young and inexperienced 14 years have passed and I have grow patience and a lot of experience

What's wrong with it? Looks like just another Mustang.

:P Just kidding, people!

Paint it orange, Jesus. It'll be fine.

Edited by Danno

Burglars, that has got to be the worst. to have your models destroyed by someone just for vandalism sake. It would be bad enough with a (soon-to-be-ex) wife, but a complete stranger would be unbearable.

How are the gun laws and "stand your ground" laws in your state?

jb

The hand gun laws here are very complicated but wish I had one just in case. They not only tore up many they took about 70% of my and my dads old stuff--60s,70s promos,kits,build ups they just tossed around and stepped on...I can get over mine but my dads oldies really hurt...now I have to see if I can find parts to repair/restore the ones still decent enough to try... :( That is not going to be easy going to need all the help I can get with them.

Just about any model painted with Testors' enamel paint in the last 30 or so years has been a disaster for me. I took a lot of ribbing, and a lot of advice from different members in my local model car club (Model Car Club of MN). No matter what I did, most of my paint jobs ended up with orange peel. Club members were joking about giving me the nickname of "Sunkist"! I tried everything! Nothing seemed to help. Other than using a food dehydrator. That help a bit. Finally I decided to quit being cheap, and started buying Tamiya paint. It cost more, but you know what they say, "you get what you pay for".

So far my models using Tamiya paint are turning out great. And not to put down Testors completely, I've had pretty good luck with their One Coat Lacquers. For somethings like chassis and engines I'll still use Testors' enamel. But never again for the main body of a car or truck!

Scott

P.S. Now you know why I ask a lot questions about others paint jobs.

Edited by unclescott58

Remember like it was yesterday

IMG_3524600x450_zpsb508af82.jpg

Tried to paint this purple 5 times and because of an inappropriate paint mix,... Failed everytime

IMG_3639500x375_zpsc1d5f0e9.jpg

Painted it black instead,....

IMG_3658500x375_zps301a4a73.jpg

Put it in the case too close to and incandescent bulb,... and Bingo!!.. Plastic failure.

Lessons learned,.... Every Day

Cheers

yes that is quite clever!

about testors enamels...a polishing kit is a life saver. I don't think much of anyone uses that paint without orange peel, but the polishing kit (and a light hand) will do miracles with it...just put plenty on so you can have some material to polish.

I would have to guess that 90% of disasters are paint related. I know that is true for me.

jb

Are you limited to just one disaster?

The funniest by far involved a chinchilla cat, an ironing board and and an iron (turned off, fortunately) I can't remember why I put a model up there but it was a front engined dune buggy I built as a kid out of sprue, a few seats and rollbars and an old double Dragster chevy engine. Brush painted (with porridge it looked like) it was not my finest work but it was a bit of nostalgia, nothing more.

Mischka, the neighbour's fluffy white chinchilla, used to love watching me model, preferably from somewhere up high. She did the old vertical take off thing and landed unsteadily on the ironing board, dislodging both the buggy and the iron, but not at EXACTLY the same time - yep, the buggy reached the floor a nanosecond ahead of the iron which was directly above it.

Man, you should have seen the parts fly! It was like an improvised explosive devise!!!!!! The iron even managed to smash the engine block. Ol' Mischka was nowhere to be seen - she must have left the house and cleared the fence at warp speed.

Saved one seat that now lives in a 32 Ford jalopy. It was funny, even when it happened - just glad it wasn't something precious!

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alan barton

Are you limited to just one disaster?

The funniest by far involved a chinchilla cat, an ironing board and and an iron (turned off, fortunately) I can't remember why I put a model up there but it was a front engined dune buggy I built as a kid out of sprue, a few seats and rollbars and an old double Dragster chevy engine. Brush painted (with porridge it looked like) it was not my finest work but it was a bit of nostalgia, nothing more.

Mischka, the neighbour's fluffy white chinchilla, used to love watching me model, preferably from somewhere up high. She did the old vertical take off thing and landed unsteadily on the ironing board, dislodging both the buggy and the iron, but not at EXACTLY the same time - yep, the buggy reached the floor a nanosecond ahead of the iron which was directly above it.

Man, you should have seen the parts fly! It was like an improvised explosive devise!!!!!! The iron even managed to smash the engine block. Ol' Mischka was nowhere to be seen - she must have left the house and cleared the fence at warp speed.

Saved one seat that now lives in a 32 Ford jalopy. It was funny, even when it happened - just glad it wasn't something precious!

Cheers

Alan

I can just see that chinchilla running away lol.

The most recent story was with the Mufflermobile. A friend of my sweet half, was staying at our home for a few days, and one morning, she went thru the garage to put some trash in the garbage container, and she in some how hit the Mufflermobile that I left dry on the bench in the garage, make it fell on the floor. Few hours later I went in the garage and the Mufflermobile was not where I left. I check it and it had scratches and on one spot the paint was chipped. So I had to sand and repaint all. The things that pissed me off, is that this friend did not told me about this.

The most recent story was with the Mufflermobile. A friend of my sweet half, was staying at our home for a few days, and one morning, she went thru the garage to put some trash in the garbage container, and she in some how hit the Mufflermobile that I left dry on the bench in the garage, make it fell on the floor. Few hours later I went in the garage and the Mufflermobile was not where I left. I check it and it had scratches and on one spot the paint was chipped. So I had to sand and repaint all. The things that pissed me off, is that this friend did not told me about this.

Not the MufflerMobile hahah

Oh, I had one! I picked up a resin kit of Mahoro from an anime series called Mahoromatic. It was a figure of the main character straddling a motorcycle and holding a pistol. It was a decent kit and the bike is insanely detailed, but I got a cheap knock off from Thailand, so instead of any real packaging, it was just a bag of parts. I had picked out all of the parts for the character to prep and paint and set the remaining bag of parts (the bike, which was 3/4 of the kit) to the side. Unfortunately, I put it right next to some stuff that needed to be thrown away. My wife mistook it for an empty chip bag and tossed it. I didn't catch that the parts were missing until I went to start trying to clean up the bike parts. I ended up having to order a whole replacement kit. My wife felt so bad she ended up ordering two more resin kits to make up for it. :)

the good wife

Oh, I had one! I picked up a resin kit of Mahoro from an anime series called Mahoromatic. It was a figure of the main character straddling a motorcycle and holding a pistol. It was a decent kit and the bike is insanely detailed, but I got a cheap knock off from Thailand, so instead of any real packaging, it was just a bag of parts. I had picked out all of the parts for the character to prep and paint and set the remaining bag of parts (the bike, which was 3/4 of the kit) to the side. Unfortunately, I put it right next to some stuff that needed to be thrown away. My wife mistook it for an empty chip bag and tossed it. I didn't catch that the parts were missing until I went to start trying to clean up the bike parts. I ended up having to order a whole replacement kit. My wife felt so bad she ended up ordering two more resin kits to make up for it. :)

Don't even mention ex wives and models. :o

#1 and #3 both called them "toys" and told me I was never going to grow up if I kept "playing" with them. :huh:

#2 was the worst though, deliberately broke every completed model in which, in her mind, I had spent entirely too much time building. I've told the entire story before so I won't get into detail here. :angry:

#4 "gets it" and buys me kits. She attends model shows and has become my #1 fan. That she's my only fan is irrevelant, she's my #1 fan! :wub:

G

I've been married for 33 years this week. Part of the success is that my wife knew what she was getting into from the start. I wasn't building models then, but I've always collected things. She comes from a long line of TV watchers, so she really didn't understand it, but knew it was part of me. As far as models, she doesn't really 'get it' but understands that it's important to me, that it's my sanity and center of many of my friendships. She still can't figure out why modelers from other countries find me interesting enough to visit! She does tolerate that my newest finished build always sits in a place of honor next to the TV in our family room. It does look out of place between her two cabinets of figurine stuff, but I like to see it there.

She does get upset when I introduce her as "my first wife". I cannot understand why.

In a well needed breakup with a girlfriend I moved out of my own place in my moving I returned to find burn piles in the yard that had a 33 year collection of models & 39 years of almost every car magazine ever printed in them

The cops wouldn't do anything & I almost got a trip to jail over my cars

That was 10 years ago

In a well needed breakup with a girlfriend I moved out of my own place in my moving I returned to find burn piles in the yard that had a 33 year collection of models & 39 years of almost every car magazine ever printed in them

That was 10 years ago

That's horrible!

The # was over 3,000 & had a list of sealed from the 50's to the 90's in multiples mostly

They were collected from old hobby shops & flea markets all over the country

My wife & girls know how much the ones I have collected up how much they mean to me & share in some building sometimes

They buy them for me for birthdays,Father's day's & Xmas & are not jealous of the time I spend building them

In the long run though if that was the price to pay for the happiness that I have now then so be it

I can't buy as many as fast as I used to & that's probably best

That was 10 years ago

The # was over 3,000 & had a list of sealed from the 50's to the 90's in multiples mostly

They were collected from old hobby shops & flea markets all over the country

My wife & girls know how much the ones I have collected up how much they mean to me & share in some building sometimes

They buy them for me for birthdays,Father's day's & Xmas & are not jealous of the time I spend building them

In the long run though if that was the price to pay for the happiness that I have now then so be it

I can't buy as many as fast as I used to & that's probably best

I have read stories of this before Bob. I had a first wife who kept and destroyed a small collection of builds but I have been happy since that divorce 24 years ago. I hate that happened but I guess it was the only way she could hurt you....I have been married for 22 years now and never been happier..