Model Cars Magazine Forum

Getting Organized.

I know we have talked about this before but yesterday I started reorganizing parts. I have parts in different things it seems like a quest to find things some times, Is there really a good system and a great organizer out there.???

I don't have a lot of spare parts yet, but I bought a couple of nut/bolt organisers [the plastic 'tower' kind with the pull out little drawers of different sizes], so far it's helping. if you have a large quantity of 'loose' stuff, might be time for an industrial parts bin :)

I've got several of the sliding drawer screw bins from Home Depot. A couple with all large drawers and one with all small drawers for smaller parts.

Plus I've got maybe a dozen or so of the large plastic bins with the snap on lids(like Draggon shown above ) I use for partial kits and/or builups that I don't have a box for .

Walmart has all kinds of plastic storage bins, plastic storage drawer units, etc. Super cheap prices. Take a look next time you're in Walmart... the stuff is in the storage aisle near the kitchen stuff.

Good idea Harry, I need to look there.

I use the plastic drawer things, baby food containers, and lunch meat containers. I put wheels/tires and engines in the baby food containers and made trays from corrugated sign material for the containers.

Another idea.

I have 4 of those flat plastic organizers from Hobby Lobby with tires and wheels, I keep having problems with carbs intakes and engine parts. It all gets mixes up and I don't know what goes with what. I tried putting everything in little bags and that became bags every where. I did label them. I guess I have not found the best organizer yet...

I use plastic lidded box bins, but I find them at the dollar store or 99cent store. Just as good as any you'll pay more for elsewhere, even at WalMart.

And, the plastic trays with snap lids that Swiffer floor mop pads come in are great!

I use the plastic medication bottles from the pharmacy for small or odd parts, after removing the labels.

I do use organizers to put tires, wheels, small parts etc in. More so I keep the boxes from previous builds and store like kits in those. I have some boxes with up to three kits or parts kits in them. It does save space when you don't have a lot of it......

I use a rolling plastic unit with slide out drawers that I keep right next to my workbench

Drawer #1 - Wheels & tires.

" #2 - Engine & Chassis parts.

" #3 - Interior parts.

" #4 - Clear & clear red parts and clear and clear red sprue.

" #5 - Body & fender parts.

For my Aftermarket PE & resin detail parts I have them separated by category, in plastic bags with binder clips, hanging from cup hooks on the edge of a worktable next to my rolltop desk workbench. All within arms reach.

Categories are; Bolts & fittings.

Brakes & Master Cylinders.

Distributors.

Engine parts.

Grilles.

Hose.

Interior parts.

Sets.

Trim pieces (chrome).

Wheels & custom hubcaps.

Wire.

BMF sheets, sheets of sandpaper, sheets of styrene, and wood are kept in an office type file organizer that fits on top of my workbench.

Lengths of aluminum and plastic tubing, aluminum and brass rod and wood are kept in a tall plastic container also on top of my workbench.

It makes it real easy to find something if everything is kept neatly organized.