Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

IMG_1978-vi.jpg

Heading up the hill, the residential properties contained a lot of older vehicles, much more than you'd see in a rusty state like New Jersey. Here's a Scout II that I'd like to have dragged home.

IMG_1979-vi.jpg

This guy had no fewer than four Ford pickups.

IMG_1980-vi.jpg

and we continued our climb! It's really cool that people live here.

IMG_1986-vi.jpg

and the view these folks wake up to every morning!

IMG_1992-vi.jpg

and our trusty steed for this jaunt was a 2014 Jeep Cherokee courtesy of Advantage Rent A Car. They are called that because they will try to take advantage of you! We rented a Chevy Impala for $14 a day, only to be told they didn't have one, and that we'd have to pay them $60 a day for an SUV. Nope! Stuck to our guns and got the Cherokee for the $14 fee.

How did that 9 speed behave for you?

The Jeep was very nice to drive. This was a 2014 that already had 45,000 rental miles on it and there were no issues. Pickup was good, it never hesitated on climbing the mountain roads. And Jeep claims 31 mpg. We bought the full tank of gas with the rental figuring we'd drive it off. We put 200 miles on the vehicle and returned it with slightly more than half a tank!

Saw a white 1st gen. Camero that looked original. It was white with the 6 cylinder emblem on it with a bit of smoke coming out the tail pipe, Also a dark blue 57 Chevy wagon and a 30's fork retro hot rod. It was flat black with red steel wheels and a full hood on it so I couldn't see the motor. both looked nice.

Me and my oldest son went on a road trip yesterday to a salvage yard that I haven't been to in 10 years. We drove up there to pick up a set of factory bucket seats for his '94 F-150. Anyhoo, on the way home we saw an old ford coming toward us. Turned out to be a white '69 Ford Talladega! We were out in the middle of nowhere. I've never seen one of these on the road before, only at shows or museums. Two minutes later we saw a red '68 Charger coming toward us! Both were gorgeous. What a good day! Wish I had pictures!

Oh yeah, we also saw Sullivan county Indiana's newest Sheriffs car, a brand new Hemi Challenger. It's light metallic tan with the words "Sullivan County Sheriff Department" on the side and a light bar on top. A dual scooped hood with a Hemi emblem and five spoke wheels. That's the coolest Sheriffs car I've ever seen. Two or three years ago they bought a few new four door 4x4 Ram pickups, I thought they were cool, but this new Challenger, wow, really cool.

Guys, we have annually a City Rallye and Car Show here in my town. I mean old Bugatti's and Ferrari's and classy noble cars and lots of Rolls Royce candidates and the like. Lots of cash here in this old German town.

This year the winner was an immaculate 1960 Corvette, Fuel Injection, black with red interior, silver side scallops(?), white wall small tires and a 4 spd. With the original top. Mileage is a whole 22, 500 miles! They're out there, even over here in Europe.

Hard to believe what's hiding in garages here. Sometimes I run across a Gull Wing 300 Mercedes (several in town), or an old Rolls Royce from the 30's. Amazing, and I think they're just beautiful to see in real life. I love the Old Timers, especially the Luxury Class. just Awesome.

Michael

Here and there around town. A wicked looking old custom, a nice Caddy, A row of big ones. The 59 Galaxie used to belong to the man who had the store where we bought our "45's". And a go anywhere Suzuki.

IMG_2152.jpg

All my post-apocalyptic needs have been answered, all that I need now is some big gun to throw in the bed.