Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Ford Country Squire wagon.

LongRoofNut

Very nice! But a few questions...

1. Why didn't you paint the wood edging on the sides a much lighter color, to match the real car as seen in the photo you posted?

2. Can you post a little more detail on exactly how you built the roof rack?

Harry,

Excellent question and good eye. On my '77 the trim surrounds were pealing (think snake skin shedding) . So it was pulled, cleaned, preped, painted all in my college apt. Originally it was darker in color but faded even with clear coat and waxing once a week (weather permitting). The wheel covers I had on my '77 were correct as well but I switched to the '71 to '72 full size not wanting to loose the original wheel covers I have.

As for the roof rack.

Pretty simple. I used the truck bed rails off the Monogram Chevy plow truck that had been reissued (mine were original). Cut the ends and supports off, use them as the "feet". Used L angle plastic trips for the rack, then used strip plastic that I carefully sanded to fit just above the edge of the L. The rear air foil was simple plastic strip. The inner luggage bars are round stock just drilled and glued in. I wish I had it chromed but I was not to hot on the idea of it making it in tact to the chrome place. So I just painted it bright silver, chrome foiled the back air BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH, and added wood where it was on mine.

In all odds I will make another few Ford wagons but this time lot more progress pictures, notes and accuracy. My '77 was far from perfect from being abandoned for 9 years. But she was a great automobile, wonderful ol gal to have in college and building this took me back to that time of camping trips, tailgating, kegers..........

WOW...........................................WOW...................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the wagons! This build is super sweet.

I owned a full size 80 LTD with a 400 V8 years ago....great car!

• 3 weeks later...