Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

VERY cool pics, Ed.

Thanks Jim. Heck you ought to have LOADS of more chances to photograph Lightning down in your Zip Code! I understand Hurricanes and Tornadoes are just Packed with it!!:rolleyes:

Very nice Ed. Always look forward to your pics.

Thank You Ray, I look forward to your builds (ya know Someday, yep Someday I'm gonna finish one of my own!!).

Haven't had any hurricanes or tornadoes in about 10 years (knock on wood).  If my camera has a manual setting, I don't know about it and I don't have a tall tripod.  Besides all that, when lightning starts, I go in the house.

Jim you're just the kind of person that Could safely take Lightning Pics. I Have taken lightning shots through Windows also (Hey I'm Crazy - Not Stupid!;))

Just watched the movie the Seven Samurai for the first time last night. I'm pleased to say, it was every bit as good as I heard it was. I can see why it's considered a classic. Is better than it's later copy, the Magnificent Seven? Tough to say. Both are great movies. And if you've never seen either movie, please do see them. The length of Seven Samurai is very long. Yet it went by quickly. And you do have to read subtitles, unless you understand Japanese. But, it is well worth it. A great movie.

Very nice shots Ed.

Thanks Michael

There are lightning sensors that you can attach to your camera, so all you need to do is turn it on. There are DIY versions that are supposedly pretty easy to make as well.

Yea, I know some folks that have 'em. But for me it's kind of a Sport, plus the Cells are Dynamic so unless you have a Lightning Tracking Tripod you've got to be out there anyway, so why not have some Fun!!

A couple of weeks ago, my dad and I got a great deal on interlocking pavers for his driveway. We just had to uninstall them ourselves, and haul them home. No problem (ugh, we're idiots, but that's another story). At the house where the bricks are, they have four dogs, all rescues. One dog, Ripley, 2 years old, was kicked in the ribs repeated for barking at strangers. She is very afraid of men, and skittish (skiddish??) around men she knows. My dad and I have been at the their house 14 times now, taking bricks. Each time I would get down on my knees, hold out my hand, and just wait. Eventually Ripley would come and smell me, and then I could pet her for a few moments, and then off she went. Well, today, the 14th load, she came right up to me, I petted her, and she even gave me kisses. And, then, when it was time to go (trailer was full), she started to whine because I was leaving. It pleased me greatly to know that she could trust me, and liked me, even though she was abused so badly by another man. Silly I know, but it was very pleasing to know that.

Brick_Dogs_-_Ripley.thumb.jpg.a2bef4d6ba

Thanks for the ideas guys. Going for a family reunion but will have plenty of time. Only thing planned so far is a few hours in a 4 seat UTV with the wife, daughter and possible future son in law. I hear I may be having a talk with the young man and he will be asking for her hand. Old fashion perhaps but very respectful on his part. I hope to use this time to get to know him better. He was in the Marines and now is through some hurdles to try to get in the secret service. Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders. I will happily welcome him to the family.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Going for a family reunion but will have plenty of time. Only thing planned so far is a few hours in a 4 seat UTV with the wife, daughter and possible future son in law. I hear I may be having a talk with the young man and he will be asking for her hand. Old fashion perhaps but very respectful on his part. I hope to use this time to get to know him better. He was in the Marines and now is through some hurdles to try to get in the secret service. Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders. I will happily welcome him to the family.

Good luck with your Marine, and I heard Estes Park is just great as I have a buddy that lives in the Denver area.

Have a great trip Wayne!  I was to Estes Park for a day maybe 20 years ago.  Truly spectacular and I promised we'd go back and spend a week. Never did happen :(

This younger generation is back to some old traditions.  My daughter's fiancee asked me for her hand in marriage.  They are getting married on August 6th.  He's one of those guys you can't help but like.  We are very pleased.  Good luck to you!

A couple of weeks ago, my dad and I got a great deal on interlocking pavers for his driveway. We just had to uninstall them ourselves, and haul them home. No problem (ugh, we're idiots, but that's another story). At the house where the bricks are, they have four dogs, all rescues. One dog, Ripley, 2 years old, was kicked in the ribs repeated for barking at strangers. She is very afraid of men, and skittish (skiddish??) around men she knows. My dad and I have been at the their house 14 times now, taking bricks. Each time I would get down on my knees, hold out my hand, and just wait. Eventually Ripley would come and smell me, and then I could pet her for a few moments, and then off she went. Well, today, the 14th load, she came right up to me, I petted her, and she even gave me kisses. And, then, when it was time to go (trailer was full), she started to whine because I was leaving. It pleased me greatly to know that she could trust me, and liked me, even though she was abused so badly by another man. Silly I know, but it was very pleasing to know that.

Brick_Dogs_-_Ripley.thumb.jpg.a2bef4d6ba

Cute dog. I'm glad she's starting to trust you.

Yeah, that seems to be the difficult part Bill. I have moved on to selling shop consumables after having sold replacement parts for 20 years and the atmosphere is quite different. I represent a company known for it's quality and higher prices, so unfortunately I tend to hear the phrase "You have some great products, but they are kinda expensive".It's funny how a tech will spend $1.99 for a cheap can of brake cleaner and use twice as much and not have a problem with it but can't wrap his head around using my brake cleaner that is $2.89 and goes almost twice as far! I have learned that it is not easy educating ignorant people. A lot of them also struggle with the concept that I am their business partner and can offer solutions that the cheapo 1-800 number guy can't/won't. One of my successes yesterday was a dealership parts manager who "gets" the service proposition we offer because it makes his techs much happier having product that works and makes their life easier.

Got anything that'll help un-freeze a lock cylinder?

Graphite powder was a no-go. I remember a locksmith used some kind of spray stuff on another lock that worked decently, but I've never been able to get the brand of stuff- wasn't anything common like WD-40 or PB Blaster.

Charlie Larkin

Graphite powder was a no-go. I remember a locksmith used some kind of spray stuff on another lock that worked decently, but I've never been able to get the brand of stuff- wasn't anything common like WD-40 or PB Blaster.

Charlie Larkin

Charlie, Thanks about the Photos,

For your lock you might try TriFlow. It's a Spray Lube that also has Teflon in it. Or maybe you might have a Friend with (or you might have) Marvel Mystery Oil. An Eyedroper should deliver more than enough to do the job.

Charlie Larkin

Kroil