Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

Woo Whoo didn't even hit 100 today !  Is summer coming to an end here ?

Was starting to think the same. A couple of days last week that didn't hit a 100. Just checked the forecast and only 2 days predicted at 100 even for the rest of the month and finally getting under 80 at night. We'll probably get hit with one of those 1 week heat waves in late October were it'll be back up to a 105. Seems like the last couple of years the Orphan Car Show in October gets hit with a 100+.

As much useless crapp as there is on the internet...social media where-I-took-a-dump-today-lookit-me-idiocy, whacko conspiracy theorists and flat-Earth nutjobs, screaming-whining SJW morons (plus a load of morons in general, posting and reposting poorly-written and misspelled lies, half-truths and unfounded-in-reality BS) and hysterical advertising hawking even more useless crapp...if you KNOW something about what you WANT to know and have some search skills, the web is the most fantastic source of knowledge in the history of Man. I know...it's pretty obvious and really goes without saying...but if you stand back and THINK about it, the amount of worthwhile stuff available is staggering.

No, everything isn't there. But if something has been converted to a digital format and made accessible to the net, with a little effort, you can find it. I LOVE the internet...even though I have absolutely no use for most of it.   B)

As much useless crapp as there is on the internet...social media where-I-took-a-dump-today-lookit-me-idiocy, whacko conspiracy theorists and flat-Earth nutjobs, screaming-whining SJW morons (plus a load of morons in general, posting and reposting poorly-written and misspelled lies, half-truths and unfounded-in-reality BS) and hysterical advertising hawking even more useless crapp...if you KNOW something about what you WANT to know and have some search skills, the web is the most fantastic source of knowledge in the history of Man. I know...it's pretty obvious and really goes without saying...but if you stand back and THINK about it, the amount of worthwhile stuff available is staggering.

No, everything isn't there. But if something has been converted to a digital format and made accessible to the net, with a little effort, you can find it. I LOVE the internet...even though I have absolutely no use for most of it.   B)

I used to have a tag line that said,  "I knew this would happen when computers got cheap and too easy to use!"   

But with the good, there will be content that relates to the common goober.  

And you hit on it,  the Internet is the most fantastic library of knowledge in the history of the world!   I'm probably twice as knowledgeable as I was before the Internet.  All of those things you didn't know, wondered about, and never got to a library to look up, are now a few clicks away.  

I constantly use the Internet to make business decisions.   "What are the visa requirements to send an Indian citizen living in the USA to Japan?"  A few clicks later I knew the steps to do so.   And personal decisions...  "How do you add power steering fluid to a 2006 Buick LaCrosse?"   It's buried behind the engine, you'd never find it on your own!   I read that there was an Australian copy of American Pickers.  A few minutes later I'm watching an episode of  Aussie Pickers on YouTube.  

And for our hobby...  back when the Internet was new, people said it would be the death of our hobby.  Contrary to that, it's probably the one thing that will save this hobby!  The Internet gives us the ability to converse daily,  buy, sell and trade, promote events and share information.  You can find good reference material on every vehicle ever manufactured very easily.  

It's an amazing thing.  I remember back when I got my first computer with Internet access at home,  I was amazed that I could be in a real time chat room with people in 20 different states.  And I put together a single web page that pulled an image from every continent, just because it was absolutely amazing to see it assemble quickly on the screen.

And we now take it for granted.

We were set up at a swap meet on Friday afternoon and there was a young guy there I had not remembered seeing before well as everything was set up you know then the bs starts. This guy just loved one of my builts but said he couldn't afford it so we talked and I told him come around after the show on Saturday and if it's still there we can work out something. As we all talked he was looking around so I asked my buddy about him and it turns out he is an Iraq disabled vet well that changes everything so I boxed it up and he came over and sat down again I handed him the car. He said I can't take this for free and I said it's not free thank you for your service still argued with me with his eyes welling up I told him buy me a Pepsi at the show tomorrow and we're even. He took it home that night and put it on the shelf next to his dad's models. My brother said Ihe was shocked what I did but said I'm proud of it and I said was the least I could do and made me feel awsome inside to do that for him!

vince

We were set up at a swap meet on Friday afternoon and there was a young guy there I had not remembered seeing before well as everything was set up you know then the bs starts. This guy just loved one of my builts but said he couldn't afford it so we talked and I told him come around after the show on Saturday and if it's still there we can work out something. As we all talked he was looking around so I asked my buddy about him and it turns out he is an Iraq disabled vet well that changes everything so I boxed it up and he came over and sat down again I handed him the car. He said I can't take this for free and I said it's not free thank you for your service still argued with me with his eyes welling up I told him buy me a Pepsi at the show tomorrow and we're even. He took it home that night and put it on the shelf next to his dad's models. My brother said Ihe was shocked what I did but said I'm proud of it and I said was the least I could do and made me feel awsome inside to do that for him!

vince

That was a great gesture on your part, you're very generous.

I have multiple remodeling projects going on currently in and around my 'new' 1967 split-level house, one of them wrapped up today--new floor tile in the tv room--porcelain tile that resembles destressed barn wood.   Love the look.   Got to get the furniture arranged, book shelves installed, art on the walls and re-arrange the home theatre equipment.   Have a patio roof re-roofing, inside lighting, and shed restoration projects ongoing.   More projects before winter include fence repairs, tree pruning, and maybe a new front door.

IMG-3271.JPG

Edited by Rob Hall

How many trips to Home Depot each day ? :D

Been a few times over the last few weeks...though a lot of things I've ordered from Home Depot's website and had delivered, as well as from Amazon and others.  I've found some really skilled local home improvement guys for it, though. I'm writing the checks, not doing the work...

Edited by Rob Hall

A buddy of mine and the wives spent the day at keystone raceway park watching thr nostalgia nationals man there were some sweet cars altereds, slingshot rails, funnies and super stocks along with bracket races!!! We kinda got a little sunburn was a beautiful day it's still going tomorrow but we aren't going but had tons of fun!!!

Vince

How many trips to Home Depot each day ? :D

I have a Home depot 'bout 1/4 mile away and I do my best to stay out of there. I don't need any tools and I don't want to do any more work than I already do. Oh sure I go there when I need stuff for either around the house or if I'm working on a project, but I don't make a habit of going there.

A buddy of mine and the wives spent the day at keystone raceway park watching thr nostalgia nationals man there were some sweet cars altereds, slingshot rails, funnies and super stocks along with bracket races!!! We kinda got a little sunburn was a beautiful day it's still going tomorrow but we aren't going but had tons of fun!!!

Vince

Sounds like a great way to spend the day.  :D

...and you know that saying about owners of jacked up trucks- over compensating for something else? baloney!!!

Lotsa folks have said that about sports-car drivers over the years too, especially in the case of the more expensive ones. There might be some truth to it in many cases, as there usually is with stereotypes...but if you're a real enthusiast...not just a poser...and know and use your specialty vehicles for what they're made for...as you obviously do...it gets tiring to hear it repeated endlessly.

I've driven a LOT of sports cars over the years, some mine, some not, and the two best "chick magnets" (neither of which were mine) were an Aston Martin V8 Vantage, and a red '57 T-bird. So fellers...if you're having trouble getting noticed by the birds, get yourself one of these. 

NOTE: Once you get noticed, it's a big help to have something like a personality too. ;)

82-Aston-V8-Vantage-DV-16-RMM-01.jpg

Image result for red 57 thunderbird

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I actually planted trees today, a major accomplishment considering I'm out of shape.   Planted 3 small evergreens in my backyard, first time digging holes with a shovel since I was a teenager 30+ years ago.  Now aching all over, took 4 Aleve.. watching football, my poor Browns getting slaughtered.  

I have a lot of plans for improving my back yard, but will probably need to hire a landscaper for them. 

Good man. 3 more trees to make oxygen and remove CO2, provide shade, privacy, and got yourself some exercise too. Most excellent.  :D

I had 5 stumps removed a few weeks ago--one was 84 inches in diameter, I have a huge white oak in the front and a couple smaller oaks in the back..the neighboring lots are more wooded than mine, want to add more trees, as well as extend the patio to install a grill and hot tub eventually.. 

Edited by Rob Hall