Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 67 Camaro

Phildaupho

Fantastic review Tim. It's a nice kit but I'll wait and see if they do a drag version before I buy one.

I'd say this more of a 1 1/2 in 1 kit instead of a 2 in 1.

They could have at least included some headers and side pipes for the supposed race version.

Edited by VW93

Sorry, but I had a family medical situation to deal with the last day and a half. (Everything is going to be okay) If somebody else can snap a pic of the grille I promised, I would appreciate it. Otherwise I will try to get new batteries in the camera and do it tomorrow things have been pretty busy here, and I can't sneak out to the store until I can get somebody to come over and watch things while I'm away. I might have some time to work on the Camaro tomorrow, but I won't be able to get any supplies.

I also hope there are many more variations. A 'vert would be nice, and an RS version, plus a Z/28 for the small block setup. Then, it's just a matter of mixing and matching the parts until you get the exact version you want. The pace car would be really cool. I should do a '69 pace car and display them together. I could even toss in a '55 Chevy pace car. I have too many ideas, and not enough time!

I just noticed that Tim Boyd's review a few posts up from this one has a far better picture of the grille than I will ever be able to take.

Great review Tim. I love the other Camaros that you had in the pictures too. The '69 Camaro is also one of my favorite kits. I have done a couple. That '68 is excellent. Considering the age of the tool, and the fact that that kit has some tricky spots, you really nailed it. Great color too.

As to whether the wheels are Minilite or Western... Isn't the letter "W" just an upside down "M" :P (Disclaimer; This comment comes from a guy who raced with the number "88" using the logic that it would read the same right side up or upside down. )

I could be wrong, but the lack of emblems and lack of vent window frames, makes me believe that Revell is going to blow out a '68 Camaro kit in the not so distant future.

I am becoming a photo etch detail fan. I know how some feel but in the end, the etched emblems or decals look better than paint covered emblems.

Looking at the photos Tim provided, I think the grille can be fixed pretty easily. Still, it's something I shouldn't have to do. But, it's not a huge deal to me. I'll still probably wait for the next version. I'm a little disappointed in the direction Revell seems to be headed in regards to emblems. Sorry, but a decal just doesn't cut it for me. Something else that really annoys me is how they do the different versions. What I mean by that is that they will leave parts out of the first version. Then they add parts to the second version and take the parts from the first version. Wait and see if the second version of this kit doesn't have headers etc. in it. Of course, you won't be able to build a stock SS from it as those parts will be gone. :rolleyes: If they do produce a convertible, you can bet your stash that the first version won't have an up top. But, the second version will.

Roger...understand your point and it is a good one.

But the reality is, with today's relatively small adult kit market, a manufacturer has to do multiple versions of a kit (to sell multiple copies to us builders and collectors) to make the financials/investment work out. It's really as simple as that.

Today, if a first run of a kit sells 10,000 or 20,000 copies, that's considered a success. Back in the days of the old AMT 3 in 1 kits, they sold in the 100,000's of thousands, occasionally even in the millions (for some of the Trophy Series kits). That difference in sales volume/revenue, plus the much higher level of detail and fit/accuracy demanded in today's market, makes for a much different business equation.

Yeah, I'd like to have more extra parts too, but I'd much rather have the current approach than no newly tooled kits at all.

Thanks again for your comment/feedback. TIM

Roger...understand your point and it is a good one.

But the reality is, with today's relatively small adult kit market, a manufacturer has to do multiple versions of a kit (to sell multiple copies to us builders and collectors) to make the financials/investment work out. It's really as simple as that.

Today, if a first run of a kit sells 10,000 or 20,000 copies, that's considered a success. Back in the days of the old AMT 3 in 1 kits, they sold in the 100,000's of thousands, occasionally even in the millions (for some of the Trophy Series kits). That difference in sales volume/revenue, plus the much higher level of detail and fit/accuracy demanded in today's market, makes for a much different business equation.

Yeah, I'd like to have more extra parts too, but I'd much rather have the current approach than no newly tooled kits at all.

Thanks again for your comment/feedback. TIM

Thanks Tim. The Grill needs to be fixed, as a non-RS grill appears thus:

1967-chevrolet-camaro-front.JPG

The roll under of the body is probably acceptable given that it is rather subtle unless you look very close.

I saw another interesting thing in that Revell did mold in the seat back releases.

Replica and Miniatures of Maryland made a 67 Camaro Custom Deluxe Interior Upgrade kit (SRD-3002) for the AMT kit. I wonder if it would fit the Revell interior. I have one of these and may need to buy a 67 to check it out.

Thanks Tim. The Grill needs to be fixed, as a non-RS grill appears thus:

1967-chevrolet-camaro-front.JPG

The roll under of the body is probably acceptable given that it is rather subtle unless you look very close.

I saw another interesting thing in that Revell did mold in the seat back releases.

Replica and Miniatures of Maryland made a 67 Camaro Custom Deluxe Interior Upgrade kit (SRD-3002) for the AMT kit. I wonder if it would fit the Revell interior. I have one of these and may need to buy a 67 to check it out.

Thanks Gerry...that's a better picture of the correct 1/1 scale grille than the one I referenced in my review.

And not only did they mold the seatback releases, they also molded the vent levers in the kick panels (which I meant to mention in my review - I'll go back and update it thus).

Best regards...TIM

Edited by tim boyd

I am also becoming a photo etched detail fan, but I prefer kits to have raised emblems for a few reasons. They open up a lot of options. They can be painted by the first time builder, or by kids who will never get as deeply into the hobby as we are. The look pretty darned good when they are foiled, as they are both raised and shiny, just like the real ones. and they can be removed pretty quickly and painlessly to put photo etch on. I also don't mind fairly tall engraved emblems, as they will survive a couple of coats of paint and still be able to be painted or foiled. Remember, for every one of us who paints with lacquers or acrylic enamels, there are probably a dozen people painting kits with Testor's spray cans. Emblems on the '62 'Vette and the like may be more "in scale" when the body is raw, but as the thicker paints flatten out the detail, the sharpness ends up being lost. Decals just don't cut it. Nothing screams "FAKE" more than a decal where there should be an emblem.

On the grille, what would happen if you made small holes at the ends of the place where the horizontal bars go and then scribed a very small groove with a scriber or the back of an exacto? Maybe some .009 or so guitar string could be polished up and bent into place. At least it would be shiny and not too huge. For my box stock build, I will leave it just like it is, and probably blacken the center part of the grille and foil the horizontal strips. I am cleaning up the parts, gluing the parts together that will need to have seams filled, and getting things ready to prime. So far, this kit seems to have nice fit and positive location. I think it's going to be one of Revell's better recent kits.

I checked out your review. Very cool.

I for one am not a fan of Revell's new style of attaching wheels to the car, nor their giant wheels that fit inside the hollow tires. Makes it real hard for a guy like me, who isnt a pro at scratchbuilding, to be able to kit bash and put different wheels and tires on it. I want to build the Hot Rod Magazine Crusher Camaro out of this kit really badly. I have all the parts to do it, but now that I see the wheels attach w/ metal pins, that sort of depresses me and I'll probably just have to glue the wheelbacks straight to the axle.

I checked out your review. Very cool.

I for one am not a fan of Revell's new style of attaching wheels to the car, nor their giant wheels that fit inside the hollow tires. Makes it real hard for a guy like me, who isnt a pro at scratchbuilding, to be able to kit bash and put different wheels and tires on it. I want to build the Hot Rod Magazine Crusher Camaro out of this kit really badly. I have all the parts to do it, but now that I see the wheels attach w/ metal pins, that sort of depresses me and I'll probably just have to glue the wheelbacks straight to the axle.

I agree on the wheel mounting. For the 68 Firebird I'm completing, I adapted older wheel backs and parts box Rally II's. I also am not a fan of most grills in models. Even with a wash, many still look too toy like. Something that wouldn't have mattered 20 years ago now just nags at me.

Thanks Tim for such a complete review. I am looking forward to my kit arriving at my LHS. I have previously used excellent the Model Car Garage 67 Camaro photo-etch detail set on an AMT Camaro and was very pleased with the results and assume it will work well with this Revell kit. It includes the standard grill and the hidden headlight RS version.

I remember seeing my first brand new 1967 Z28 in a dealership across the line in Washington State and was very impressed. Shortly after a local road racer got the first Z28 in Western Canada and successfully started racing it with very few modifications.

In all this no one has mentioned the taillight installation on this kit. The instructions show the chrome taillight bezels being installed from inside the body. On the real car, the taillight bezels have a flange that hides the edge of the opening in the rear panel of the car.

Yes.

Not to mention the wrong hood, etc. I assume this was just a low effort for box art filler...they threw in a few extra parts so they could call it a 2n1.

It will be interesting to see if hoods and other parts from the Revell '69 Camaros can be swapped in with some modification...

The hoods should interchange with the '69 version and vicey versey...

At least I hope so..

Here is a shot of the Revell `69 Camaro Z/28 hood on the newly tooled Revell `67 Camaro SS.

DSC_0018.jpg

The center crease that runs down the center of the and top of nose clip line up "fairly" well.

The width is on the money.

However, the hood is to short front and back.

Body cowl vents and hood vents need some messaging.

Edited by 69NovaYenko