Model Cars Magazine Forum

'58 Fairlane 500 Semi-Custom! Finished at Last!

John Goschke

Now that I'm calling the '58 Impala ragtop finished I've returned to this neglected project thanks to an eBay find with a very clean body. Clean, except for the chipped fins and damage to the front bumper and fender and the ancient green hobby enamel which I was able to pull off with masking tape! For the moment I'm digging that natural ivory & white two-tone!

58Ford_Green_3-vi.jpgStripped_58_Ford_1-vi.jpg

Here's a little step-by-step on the fin repair. The original plan was to use spare custom fins from another old kit but once the fins were notched for the graft I realized the custom pieces were too thin.

Stripped_58_Ford_5-vi.jpg58_Ford_Fin_Fix_1-vi.jpg

Plan B came into play when I looked at the original '58 kit chassis and realized the rear corners would provide another source for the donor bits. Because I'm using a '59 Ford chassis for the actual build, cutting up the original chassis won't be a problem.

58_Ford_Fin_Fix_4-vi.jpg58_Ford_Fin_Fix_3-vi.jpg

After cutting the end of the new pieces at a rough angle, they were superglued in place. The right angle notch makes a very firm joint.  A trusty #11 blade was used to carve the grafted pieces closer to the final shape...

58_Ford_Fin_Fix_6-vi.jpg58_Ford_Fin_Fix_7-vi.jpg

Once the new tips were carved close enough to the final shape, I used flat, elliptical, and round section files to get the final contour. Though the stock '58 Ford fins had a more rounded tip, I think it might be cool to retain these sharper tips for my custom. Next will be finish sanding the grafted fins followed by quite a bit of mold line cleanup and accurizing body shapes and window molding details and removing all those nice, crisp emblems. But no nasty scratch or glue damage repair from skirts or other custom junk!

58_Ford_Fin_Fix_11-vi.jpg58_Ford_Fin_Fix_12-vi.jpg58_Ford_Fin_Fix_13-vi.jpg

Edited by John Goschke

• 5 weeks later...

A couple gentlemen of sound design judgement pointed out that the Chrysler bumper and grill swap could use some refinement to drop it down a bit and smooth the transition into the wheel opening. A bit of work was needed to accomplish it, most adding material underneath the front "lip" along with some on the sides and shaping with files and sanding sticks.

I like this better now!
58Ford_NewFront_3-vi.jpg

Here's where it was before...
58VicTail6-vi.jpg

Some more shots of the new treatment. I also molded in and opened up the hood scoop which will eventually receive some very fine mesh. The hood opening was rescribed at the front and the corners were rounded.
58Ford_NewFront_1-vi.jpg
58Ford_NewFront_2-vi.jpg
58Ford_NewFront_4-vi.jpg
58Ford_NewFront_5-vi.jpg
58Ford_NewFront_6-vi.jpg
58Ford_NewFront_7-vi.jpg

Edited by John Goschke

Glad to see this one back up (and now two of them!).

What mesh are you using for the hood scoop? I have some Eduard 00 108 2x4 mesh; I can send you a little piece to fill the hole.

00108_z1.jpg

Chris, the mesh I'm using is fine woven stainless steel from a drip coffee maker.  But I also like what you're showing here! If you don't mind sending me a piece about a 1/2" x 1/4" to keep on hand as a Plan B (or maybe even Plan A once I see it firsthand!) that'd be terrific! I'll PM you my address. Thanks!

Awesome looking tail lights, this is a good looking model and you are doing it justice.  Keep it up John

Thanks, Dan!  The plan is to keep this project moving.

I really like the way the tail lights carry the horizontal theme of the grille. Really great looking!

Thanks, John!  That was the intention, to carry that look to the rear. Glad you like it !

I have enjoyed watching all of your repairs and modifications on this '58. Have you thought of using a '57 hood or is that not in your plans ? 

Thanks, Dave!  I did consider using a smoothed '57 hood but was concerned about making it look to much like a Chrysler, and that little scoop is such a distinctive feature of the '58 Fords I wanted to retain it, but just integrate it a little better.

The revised front bumper/grille, the hood scoop and the taillights all look really good. Ford should have styled it that way!

Thanks, Charley! That's what we custom geeks like to think we're doing, improving on the original stylists' work!  If we're lucky, sometimes we even succeed!

• 4 weeks later...

Recently got the custom taillights fitted to the new body, including scribing the lines for the trunklid opening through the lights, below them, and along the bottom edge, which AMT chose to ignore when they tooled the kit. I also cut out the license plate housing AMT forgot – this time trying to create a nicer shape for the opening than I did on the first body before backing it with sheet styrene from the inside. Also made a set of tailpipe extensions that tie into the molded-in pipes on the '59 Ford chassis, and drilled out the ends and cut them on a little angle.

58_Ford_Lights_etc_3-vi.jpg
58_Ford_Lights_etc_4-vi.jpg

A bit of mesh is in the mail. Happy modeling!

Thanks, Chris! Check it out!...

I added a piece of photoetch mesh to the hood scoop, thanks to Chris Brame, and resolved the headlights. The headlights use reflectors made from 5mm "googly eyes" purchased at a fabric and craft store. I cut the clear dome (cornea?) off the eye and glued it to a piece of styrene rod that fits into the mounting hole for the original headlight. A Molotow "Chrome" pen was used to provide a reflective surface on the inside of the dome. The lenses are from the new tool Edsel Pacer kit.

58_Ford_Lights_etc_7-vi.jpg

58_Ford_Lights_etc_2-vi.jpg

58_Ford_Lights_etc_1-vi.jpg

Great work so far ! 

You see lots of customs built, but not too many really add to the original cars appeal. I think you've really captured a typical custom that has improved on the original cars lines, takes a lot of skill to achieve such a subtle look !  Ill be following along for sure........