Model Cars Magazine Forum

STEVE SCOTT ,A.KA . [ UNCERTAIN T ]

>I had no interest in it back then. I have no interest in now

Obviously you DO have some interest in it...or you would not be posting here.

as for the checkbook, I got one ready and its full of checks. just remember, you cannot cheat an honest man.

and thank you Greg for the reality of butt ugly kits. they apparently sell quite well. to someone. :huh:

jb

Huh, what :blink: ..... Steve ..... is that you ? :rolleyes:

>I had no interest in it back then. I have no interest in now

Obviously you DO have some interest in it...or you would not be posting here.

as for the checkbook, I got one ready and its full of checks. just remember, you cannot cheat an honest man.

and thank you Greg for the reality of butt ugly kits. they apparently sell quite well. to someone. :huh:

jb

True you can't cheat an honest man but a fool and his money are soon parted.

Pretty sure an injected kit of T will not be done. The work it takes to design, test and complete a new 1/25 scale car tool is massive......a job that takes 4-5 people with LOTS of specialized talent......which this guy does not have.

Kinda doubt a 3D printed kit will ever appear.

I have worked in the model kit biz from retail, aftermarket, manufacture and design levels. I also produced a number of full resin car kits.

It's more work than most know.

Amen, Dave!

A couple of comments

1) The Monogram Uncertain T was actually a pretty cool kit, other than the body casting which was compromised in its execution.

2) I did an article on this kit for Model Cars a number of years back....unfortunately about 1/2 the article and photos/captions were not printed in the mag at the time.

3) The coolest part of the kit was the fuel injected Buick Nailhead, but the new Nailhead in the upcoming Revell '29! blows the Uncertain T kit Nailhead outa the water!

4) Roger Harney personally told me a number of years back that the tooling for the Uncertain T was scrapped at some point in the past.

Best Regards...TIM

maybe if you told roger Harney that if he put that new nailhead in the same room with a tweedy pie chassis he would be way ahead of the game on reverse engineering the Uncertain T.

sure would beat another garbage truck. who the heck buys that junk anyhow?

jb

maybe if you told roger Harney that if he put that new nailhead in the same room with a tweedy pie chassis he would be way ahead of the game on reverse engineering the Uncertain T.

sure would beat another garbage truck. who the heck buys that junk anyhow?

jb

Harney has passed....so tough to do.

I like Garbage truck and all Tom Daniels kits. Do you think Revell Monogram re-issues them because they DON'T sell?!?!?!?!?!?

RM is in the business to make cash....as large amounts as possible.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean they don't sell.

Do you honestly think they sit around and look for the kits that DON'T sell???? Really????

Work in the business 30+ years and get back to me.

Edited by Dave Van

Take all the kits Mom and Dad, Grandma and Grandpa and other family members buy.....and there is a HUGE hunk of the hobby kit sales (planes, ships, sci-fi cars etc) compared to the few folks here.

Every 'ladys craft store' has a good amount of shelf space with plastic kits on them. Shelf space of any kind cost a store LOTS of money. WHY KITS??

Because they sell.....not to us.....to the Moms and Grandmas.....but they sell.....and a funky 'Garbage truck' is cute....and little Jimmy would love it.

Gotta think about the big picture here......we are the niche.....a loud niche....but niche none the less.

Promote the hobby in a positive manner. My 6 year old Grand daughter loves models and is very good at building. She doesn't pick what I might....but having her build.....fantastic. :)

I have been wanting to build an Uncertain T for a long time. I have no intention of waiting for a 3D print or buying the resin copy that floats around out there on the interwebs.
The body is primarily flat stock. The corners have some funky radius, but not impossible to duplicate. The cowl, that can be sourced from other kits. Frames can be scratch built. And the nailhead, thank you for that '29 Ford tip.
Someone once did me a favor, and laid out the body panels of an unbuilt Monogram U/T, and traced them onto paper. It's around here somewhere.
It's only plastic.
And 100% accuracy doesn't concern me on such a strange kustom show rod.

Ron Savoie, thank you for sharing the rare original version of the Uncertain T!

I have been wanting to build an Uncertain T for a long time. I have no intention of waiting for a 3D print or buying the resin copy that floats around out there on the interwebs.

The body is primarily flat stock. The corners have some funky radius, but not impossible to duplicate. The cowl, that can be sourced from other kits. Frames can be scratch built. And the nailhead, thank you for that '29 Ford tip.

Someone once did me a favor, and laid out the body panels of an unbuilt Monogram U/T, and traced them onto paper. It's around here somewhere.

It's only plastic.

And 100% accuracy doesn't concern me on such a strange kustom show rod.

Ron Savoie, thank you for sharing the rare original version of the Uncertain T!

Sounds like the way to go. Instead of flushing your money down the toilet with a has been one trick pony. Fifty bucks buys a lot of evergreen plastic and decent nailhead. Also besides the pictures on the internet there is an issue of Car Craft with some good reference information.

Harney has passed....so tough to do.

I like Garbage truck and all Tom Daniels kits. Do you think Revell Monogram re-issues them because they DON'T sell?!?!?!?!?!?

RM is in the business to make cash....as large amounts as possible.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean they don't sell.

Do you honestly think they sit around and look for the kits that DON'T sell???? Really????

Work in the business 30+ years and get back to me.

Applause.gif?format=1000w

14-year veteran of the hobby business here. Tom Daniel kits sell really well for reissues. Uncertain T would do well, too, but reissue-type numbers. It's not something I would invest new-tooling dollars into.

Birds?

I think that's Bill Wyman on the left and Charlie Watts on the right.

As an aside a partial UT with a nice box, but only most of the body, no engine, no display stuff aside from the girl figure and not a whole lot else went for approx. 165$ yesterday.

jb

I remember reading threads over on the another Site (S***R** R****) when Steve Scott was first contacted by Uncertain-T enthusiasts.

There were some great guys, standing by to help.

He blew them all off, and then started to "enhance" his story.

The whole story lost it's lustre pretty quickly for me, although I suspect that the few Die-Hard Un-T fans are still dragging this along.

Art Anderson's point about the original kit, sales volumes is a good one. While I doubt that the sales records exist anymore, I'd really like to see how the kit sold, especially the second time around. If it had outsold the first release, I doubt Monogram would have scrapped to tool.

Notice that even the nailhead engine never turned up in anything else.

By now this whole story is just old,old news.

alexis