Model Cars Magazine Forum

STEVE SCOTT ,A.KA . [ UNCERTAIN T ]

On 12/22/2018 at 9:41 AM, Greg Myers said:

Keeping the dream alive :P

072120180750-vi.jpg

Keeping the nightmare alive. I just don't get the obsession people have over the Uncertain T. IMO was an ugly car. I do like a nice T street rod and/or showcar. From what I can see this neither. And from what I've read here, and elsewhere , Steve Scott sounds like he's either nuts or a con man. 

Oh, and P.S. Yes I do know the car pictured above is not the actual Uncertain T. I still don't like either car. 

Edited by unclescott58

7 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Keeping the nightmare alive. I just don't get the obsession people have over the Uncertain T. IMO was an ugly car. I do like a nice T street rod and/or showcar. From what I can see this neither. And from what I've read here, and elsewhere , Steve Scott sounds like he's either nuts or a con man. 

I think that was the attitude of Monogram(Revell) if they did indeed scrap the 'T'.......

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

Oh, and P.S. Yes I do know the car pictured above is not the actual Uncertain T. I still don't like either car. 

I think the same thing when I see people go nuts over a 57 Chevy, an ugly car with an oversized bumper and grill with fake chrome fins stuck on the side.  Just because we may or may like a car does not say others can not. Not sure what the guy problem is but we all could make a few guesses. Looking around at what old show cars are bringing at auction prices is a good start. 

12 minutes ago, 1930fordpickup said:

I think the same thing when I see people go nuts over a 57 Chevy, an ugly car with an oversized bumper and grill with fake chrome fins stuck on the side.  Just because we may or may like a car does not say others can not. Not sure what the guy problem is but we all could make a few guesses. Looking around at what old show cars are bringing at auction prices is a good start. 

At least the 57 Chevy was a real production car, not show car nonsense like this.. 

This is a Swedish Show Rod , the builder said he was inspired by the Uncertain T.
Torsten "Krom Fritte" Fritz is the builder.
Everything that isn't brass, paint, rubber or leather is chrome plated.

49beaa341d0e6a31d6473b3f20e75916.jpg

Edited by Force

2 hours ago, Force said:

This is a Swedish Show Rod , the builder said he was inspired by the Uncertain T.
Torsten "Krom Fritte" Fritz is the builder.
Everything that isn't brass, paint, rubber or leather is chrome plated.

49beaa341d0e6a31d6473b3f20e75916.jpg

Now I like the above better than the real Uncertain T. Overall I'm not keen on it. But, it looks better. And I can't tell you why? 

• 1 year later...

At the risk.of reviving this old thread...anybody see the most recent issue of Rodders Journal and the clone some guy in New Zealand did? Lots of great photos...in addition to a quick history of the original...although it fails to mention any of the controversy shown here...or any news of the whereabouts or condition of the original.

One of the locals built that  as a tribute car. It does have some deviations from the original like front disc brakes and is an outstanding show car.

Meanwhile we are still waiting for the promised new kit set that Steve Scott had promised and took deposits for years ago.

.89468375_1613996232084385_5810089568841498624_o.jpg.67e47acdb4c45ab576dce4037d6a1580.jpg

87436316_10163258151205048_6187086203058126848_o.jpg

42 minutes ago, Roncla said:

Meanwhile we are still waiting for the promised new kit set that Steve Scott had promised and took deposits for years ago.

And is STILL actively promising and taking deposits for to this day.  I once totaled up the orders he’d taken (back when he proudly published a list of everyone who had preordered and paid him already) and it was well into the tens of thousands of dollars.

Last update he actually gave on the production of this kit (aside from talking about what he’s planning to do, more than a decade into this project) was that he had purchased some wire (!) to “test” so that he could make some wire wheels for the kits.  This was probably three years ago now... ?

16 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Last update he actually gave on the production of this kit (aside from talking about what he’s planning to do, more than a decade into this project) was that he had purchased some wire (!) to “test” so that he could make some wire wheels for the kits.  This was probably three years ago now... ?

A long time ago I told Steve where he could get the wheels made for him at a decent price. I'm pretty confident that (since he seems to post about everything ) he never followed up on it, or we'd have seen him post about it. 

12 minutes ago, Draggon said:

A long time ago I told Steve where he could get the wheels made for him at a decent price. I'm pretty confident that (since he seems to post about everything ) he never followed up on it, or we'd have seen him post about it. 

I’m pretty sure he’s just pocketing the money people send him with no intention of doing anything resembling making these kits.  

Maybe he really does think he will make them eventually - but after ten or twelve years and tens of thousands of dollars of money sent to him you’d think he would’ve had SOMETHING to show for it...

If you read through all of that going back years now it was all because making this model would be the key to getting him out of Hawaii and back to the mainland U.S.  At this point after...stea...borrowing money from several hundred people (since several people bought more than one, it's not 500 individuals) totaling into the 5 figure range, one has to wonder - How much does a plane ticket to California cost these days?  I mean it's not like you have to save up the cash to buy gas along the bridge back to San Francisco.  That's a definitive - get to the new place, and buy new stuff when you get there type of move.  If it's taken him 20+ years and $20k+ and he still can't figure out how to get to the airport and board a plane...I doubt he'll recreate a model kit out of whole cloth in his lifetime.

4 hours ago, Roncla said:

Steve has answered  a post to his Facebook page asking for any word on the models by  responding that because of the virus everything will be delayed !!!!

I'm wondering  virus he's referring too? It can't be the Corona, that's only been going on for the last six or seven months, or so. How long has he delayed his model? How many years? They must have a virus on Hawaii that we don't have here on the mainland? 

Edited by unclescott58

I won't speculate on what his intentions have been with the proceeds from this project. 

However it was doomed from the start. His initial proposal was vague in how going to achieve getting model done. I suspect his initial price of $40 was pulled out of thin air. He intially was suppose to do plastic kits but he was unable to get his injection machine to work.

More recently he has talked about doing the model with a  3d printer he is going to purchase.  Besides the fact he will need to generate the 3d files. Printing 500 kits on a 3d printer will be a slow process. Doing the initial master might work with a 3d printer but he's painted himself into a corner. He has already said that a resin version was unacceptable. 

The fastest way to doom any project is not to sufficiently plan for how you going to achieve your goals.

Going after him in court will only cost you money.  If he had money he would have used it to move from Hawaii and create his kits. Also he had said he would refund your money if requested. Something that would have to be attempted and documented that he was unwilling to pay before you could iniate legal action.

Besides he never ever set a hard date for completion its always been when its done it'll ship from day one.

More likely everyone that placed orders is out of luck. Chalk it up to experience.