Model Cars Magazine Forum

STEVE SCOTT ,A.KA . [ UNCERTAIN T ]

8 year old thread. No kit. 
Can’t get workbench into new place’s door. 
Accepts money. 
Refuses to take easier route unavailable 8y ago. 
Won’t partner with enthusiast to get it done. 
Pretty much moot point now. 
#nevergonnahappen. SMH. 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 6/11/2023 at 7:37 PM, iBorg said:

Great article......wouldn't it be a blast if Atlantis now owned the molds. 

With that said, quick raise of hands to who else thought that.

Molds are long gone. Bob Paeth told me so back about 2005.

11 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Molds are long gone. Bob Paeth told me so back about 2005.

yep....my Revell contacts more or less (without actually saying it) confirmed the same.  Probably was sold for scrap early in the Tom Gannon presidency at Monogram....TB

24 minutes ago, Scott Colmer said:

It's great to see a build up article on the Uncertain T. You did a great job with it, Tim. This one was on my list. I can put it to bed now. So good to see you are breaking into those uber rare kits and doing them justice.

Scott

Thanks Scott!  BTW, great to meet you at GSLlast month, too.  Best...TB 

16 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

It's great to see a build up article on the Uncertain T. You did a great job with it, Tim. This one was on my list. I can put it to bed now. So good to see you are breaking into those uber rare kits and doing them justice.

Scott

Tim , I echo what Scott has to say.

Thank You for doing such a great build and taking such wonderful pics!

I have to say also, that this article (even if late) helps to put to rest any desire to ever own or build one of these kits.

It looks like an awkward, fussy build, of a frankly, Unique, but Not Really Attractive Car.

If Monogram had continued making and selling these kits thru the 1980's, most likely, you would not be able to give them away.

The only things that I see that would be usable are the engine and wheels.

The only thing, in my opinion that makes this a grail, is the Back Story and subsequent Issues with both the kit, and it's owner.

Absent that, It would be an "Also-Ran".

P.S.

I hope to live long enough to see the real car dragged out of a One Car garage in Burbank, Pasadena, or some other 1950's suburb in L.A. someday, when the guy who owns it now, passes on, and his kids dispose of the thing.

• Like 1

I agree I enjoy seeing your build articles Tim.

A fun kit but certainly not worth the crazy money they go for. Wouldn't spend  more than the going rates for it. If the molds had still existed it would be fun to build one for nostalgia. Definitely don't see that it would be viable to create all new tooling for. I remember building one as a kid but that one is long gone.

22 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I agree I enjoy seeing your build articles Tim.

A fun kit but certainly not worth the crazy money they go for. Wouldn't spend  more than the going rates for it. If the molds had still existed it would be fun to build one for nostalgia. Definitely don't see that it would be viable to create all new tooling for. I remember building one as a kid but that one is long gone.

Agree entirely. That's why I'm kit bashing one from a current Infini T dragster kit.

Edited by magicmustang

• 7 months later...

After all the years of gossip and conjecture...kind of exciting to see this hot rodding icon emerge to see the light of day. Crazy looking show cars arent my thing...but this one earned a special place in full scale and modeling history.

It's my understanding (from a couple guys in the know) that the location of the Uncertain-T was known but getting it out of the hands of the owner was the issue. Looks like the owner approached the Boeckmans, and that's how it was "found". 

On 2/22/2022 at 10:27 AM, stavanzer said:

Steve has said many things over many years. I will not call him a liar. I will point to the results of all he has said. No pics of the car, no hints as to where it is, no rumors from anybody other than Steve about current status of car and other owner.

It turned up.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/uncertain-t-custom-1921-ford-model-t-grand-national-roadster-show/

2 hours ago, Dan Hay said:

It's my understanding (from a couple guys in the know) that the location of the Uncertain-T was known but getting it out of the hands of the owner was the issue. Looks like the owner approached the Boeckmans, and that's how it was "found". 

That was I saw too, they have done a lot to preserve and/or restore a lot of customs, rods, and show cars from then. Think if I were in the owner’s shoes, this is the group I would contact too.

I do wonder how Steve Scott May respond to this news, is he still at least a bit off his rocker?