Model Cars Magazine Forum

STEVE SCOTT ,A.KA . [ UNCERTAIN T ]

1 hour ago, sfhess said:

Did he ever raise enough funds to move back to the mainland?

No; he did move into a new house, but the doors are too narrow for his work bench to fit thru, so that’s causing further delays (no, really)

CE8756FB-8D60-44C8-91C7-C6CE676C2097.png

Edited by CabDriver

• 10 months later...
22 hours ago, paul alflen said:

Now with 3-d printing  getting cheaper to produce things ,maybe he can print those bodies after scanning an original kit .!

I had a 3D printed body made for an Uncertain T clone made four or five years ago.  I sent him photos of the finished product and contact details of a person willing to reverse engineer the entire set of Monogram kit parts (or design new/improved parts to Steve’s specs) - he declined and told me he’d already looked into 3D printing and decided his way was better.

What his way will end up being, who knows.  ..(likely a bunch of pie-in-the-sky and empty promises is my guess, but I’d be delighted to be proved wrong).

Edited by CabDriver

Wow, after all that he still refused your help! I guess with Steve Scott if something is too good to be true it is! And if someone oversells a product to you the opposite is true! Sorry to hear that Cabdriver. But you ARE inspiring others here with your 3-D thought process, parts, and builds! Keep up the good work! Enjoy your bench time that's what modeling is all about!

3 hours ago, paul alflen said:

Wow, after all that he still refused your help! I guess with Steve Scott if something is too good to be true it is! And if someone oversells a product to you the opposite is true! Sorry to hear that Cabdriver. But you ARE inspiring others here with your 3-D thought process, parts, and builds! Keep up the good work! Enjoy your bench time that's what modeling is all about!

Meh, I wasn't really upset or anything - just trying to hook the guy up with a way to make his goals happen.  I've still got my two original Uncertain T's here, plus a 3d printed body for a third one at some point...I probably don't need to build more than three of the things anyway :D 

I did want to build one variation box-stock, do one much more detailed build and then another detailed build but with the candy red body that the car had at one point but past that I probably don't need any more of them in my collection unless I come up with REALLY good idea of something else to try.

20 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Definitely strange. The purpose of pre selling the kits was to raise funds to do the project. Taking those kits off the table limits the funds to acheive his goal. 

The "anonymous" donations kinda reek, too. If you're giving a deposit for a kit( if it ever comes to pass)  how would Mr. Scott know where to send it?

On 2/18/2022 at 11:48 AM, ZTony8 said:

The "anonymous" donations kinda reek, too. If you're giving a deposit for a kit( if it ever comes to pass)  how would Mr. Scott know where to send it?

I think that Steve would have the names ,those people didn't want their name on the list.

But several disturbing points.

This saga has been going on since 2016.

The last update says he somebody else has the car and he needs to get photos and dimensions to create his project.

Second I understand the idea of doing lots of things yourself to save money on a project however there are limits.

Finally I believe he was asking $50 a pre paid kit. So 500 kits would generate about $25,000. That money has to pay for a computer, 3d printer, and materials for the 500 kits. Somebody explain to me how that works. Forgot to include shipping cost.

As Bones on the original star trek would say "it's dead Jim".

That's all I'm going to say on the subject.

Edited by bobthehobbyguy
Added thought.

On 2/16/2022 at 10:52 AM, paul alflen said:

Now with 3-d printing  getting cheaper to produce things ,maybe he can print those bodies after scanning an original kit .!

I suggested that to him a long time ago. I also suggested resin. He was not interested in either and was adamant that it MUST be in plastic. 

Thanks for the feed back Pat, I thought that someone had done one.

Looks like Steve Scott the original car builder has been getting various comments about the kits he is proposing to make.

If the Monogram moulds still exist, surely getting kits made from the original tooling would be the most cost effective way for Mr. Scott to reproduce it. I remember buying the kit when it was first released, but am not aware of it ever being re popped since!

Noel, It has been for a certainty that the original tooling is long gone. It was destroyed many years ago, along with other "unprofitable" tools that were sitting around. Blame Draconian State Tax laws about unused inventory, and the fact that all that tooling was for "Old Toys" in the eyes of the Folks who made the decisions at the time. This same Mindset and Tax regime cost us many AMT Tools too, If I understand what happened. (That is a BIG "IF")

Here is what I think the situation is now.

1. Steve Scott is (to put it politely) an Old Man clinging to an "Old Man's Dream"  I'll allow that it is not malice driving him, but a dream that he will never achieve. The exact same dream that keep men holding on to rusting Muscle Cars in the driveway. "I'm going to restore it, someday!" 

2. The Car Itself? Rusting away in a garage in Southern California. From the ages and timing of all involved, my guess is that it is in Burbank or a some other very old neighborhood in SoCal. Most likely in one of the traditionally Model T Ford sized One Car garages that spawned so much of 1950s-60s SoCal Hot Rod Culture.  It will be found when the children of the current owner clear out his stuff after he has passed away. It will look awful. It will be sold to somebody with VERY deep pockets, who will sell it at Mecum's or Barret-Jackson's after an extensive restoration, for millions. There is a 50/50 chance it will leave the country and move to an temperature controlled vault in Japan, like so many other Classic Automobilia has.

3. The kit. It is gone, Long Gone. In the years before the Great Hobbico Bankruptcy destroyed R/M, there had been a well planned revival of a couple of Tom Daniels popular Showrod Kits. It Got us the Tijuana Taxi, the Rommel's Rod and a couple others, all lovingly re-tooled from original kits. These were fresh tools, copies of the old kits, not the 1960's tooling. Although most kit maker's are very closed mouth about plans for new tooling, there have been Zero Rumors of R/M cutting fresh metal for a new Uncertain-T.  (My suspicion is that if R/M considered doing the U/T , that getting the right's to re-tool it from Mr. Scott were a big deal, and not worth the trouble, so the idea died in series of phone calls and letters in the mid 2005-12 time frame) 

4. So, for the 40-70 year old fans of this kit, there have been a few resin copies sold (and perhaps still available), there is an ever shrinking number of kits and built-ups for sale on the secondary market, and that is about it for the supply. Those that are left are expensive. They will get more expensive, so there is no better time to get one than today. Truthfully though, the demand for these kits appears to be shrinking at a slightly slower rate than the supply. There are just fewer and fewer people who want one of these kits, and despite the occasional newcomer, the fanbase for odd 1960's Showrods is not growing very fast. The supply that is out there will keep up with the demand for now.

That is how I believe things stand in early 2022. I am most probably wrong about some things. Reading rumors here and at the 'Coffin Corner' of the "Showrod Rally" Website back in the day, and having read back issues of "Hot Rod Deluxe" and "The Rodder's Journal" magazines, there have been no human eyes set on the car since the mid-1970s, and no real solid news about it's whereabouts in almost as long. I think that the issue now is slowly sliding into "Dead Horse" territory, pending some Great, Unexpected discovery of either the car or the tooling.

• Like 2

This is a dead horse, period. With no tooling left, except for odd parts, there is no hope that anyone like Atlantis will resurrected it. Scott never had, or will have, the necessary funding to do such a thing as bringing it back. Yes, there are resin kits out there, and that is great if you really want one, but for some of us that really don't care that much and don't really want one, that is not an issue.  

I know, we said there would never be a Rommel's Rod or a Tijuana Taxi again, and they came back, but, they where done by the parent company of those kits, not some guy in a garage. And unless Revell Germany, who is now technically the parent, has a huge change of direction, this is a dead player. 

But, I know there will be questions about his again soon by someone who doesn't know much about it, this thread will resurface in a couple of years again. 

Steve has said many things over many years. I will not call him a liar. I will point to the results of all he has said. No pics of the car, no hints as to where it is, no rumors from anybody other than Steve about current status of car and other owner.

• Like 2