Model Cars Magazine Forum

...Sharing some pain...(Lost Parts)

While assembling my Revell Bullitt Mustang about two years ago, the steering wheel went missing--less than an hour after I painted it. It turned up about a year later in the door of the microwave oven, slightly mangled. :blink: Someday I'll try to unbend it and install it.

...I chose to adapt. although not a correct dash switch console, I made a simple representation. Once it's all painted up and purdy it shouldn't look TOO out of place...it does fit like a glove. (I'm sure I'll step on the original on my way to the john in the 3 am darkness...)

post-9878-0-23703200-1416975778_thumb.jp

I was once customizing a Hot Wheels 55 Chevy pickup with a 57 Cadillac grille and bumper unit ( to replicate a local 1:1 custom) I very carefully sliced the front of the nose off the Caddy to give me the moulding that the grille and bumper unit would fit into. We are talking a sliver of diecast here about 15mm long and about 2mm wide. Some time during the build it disappeared. For good, I thought.

At least a year later, and after moving house, I started working at a new school. My office was a disgustingly filthy and cluttered cleaner's storeroom. Over a couple of weeks I gutted this horrible room and got ready to paint the walls. I just wanted to vacuum the carpet first when I saw something glint - and there it was.

Obviously it had travelled on my clothes at some point, or maybe in a box or inside a book, but when you consider that we moved 50 kms to a new house (about 30 miles) and then the school was another 15 miles from home, and I had moved all that stuff around, and it was at least a year later - well, I gotta tell you, you'd have a better chance of winning Lotto than finding that piece!

Good luck Doctor Jay - we have all shared your pain at sometime!!

Cheers

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I spent some time making a coolant overflow tank from a piece of scrap from my junk box. I had it finished, painted flat white with a blue cap. And suddenly I fumbled it and it was gone! The good thing about having a hardwood floor in my model room is that you can hear the direction it's gone. So I knew it was to my left. I must've cleaned the entire underside of my bench without finding it. Then I turned around and there it was on the floor in the center of the room! I would have been bummed if I lost it. I probably had an hour into making it.

I lost the front bumper from a '61 Ford Starliner. A huge chrome bumper. My workbench is in the garage and I have a pretty clean garage so looking on the floor in the area was easy. Spent days looking around and in boxes on the bench but never found it. How does something that big and chrome just disappear?

Luckily I was building a circle track car so ended up substituting another bumper but still would like to have the mystery solved.