Model Cars Magazine Forum

2014 - Just Two For Me!

Tom Geiger

Back on New Years Eve last year, we weren't in much of a celebrating mood. I was out of work all year with no end in sight. So we stayed home and prayed that 2014 would be a better year. And in January, I got a phone call from an old boss offering me a job. For all the pain in the tail demeaning interviews I was on all that year, here I had a job offer over the phone. No interview, no bull, just show up next Monday! And with that being a great year, and working hard including a week in Puerto Rico, I didn't get that much done this year. But I'm not complaining!

IMG_0178-vi.jpg

Dodge A100 Van -- A replica of a van a friend drove back in the late 1970s.

IMG_0813-vi.jpg

My sister in law's first car, a 1977 Chevette. She loved it so I gave it to her!

I do have the Volare going, that's days from completion and my Trabant Universalle is also very close to being finished right after the Volare. If I had added up my production earlier, I might have stepped up my work on these two!

Steady work is always a plus! I love that van, I had one very similar while I was in the service back in the 70s. Slant-six, three on the tree, sitting on top of the front wheel like a bus, that thing was a blast to drive. Nice job. Is that a Flintstone body? I've been thinking of doing one of these.

Thank you everyone for your kind words! That's what keeps me fueled to build more. During 2013, I think I hit my all time high of 7 or 8 builds, but that as the frustrating year of unemployment for me. I'd spend my days on the job search, and around 4pm every day, I'd hit the workbench until my wife got home from work. Someone recently posted an article about how craft hobbies are as good as meditation for the mind and soul, and I can truly say modeling was the therapy that kept my head screwed on straight through all that!

And hopefully by the end of January this year I will have matched last year's production, as I have 2 models almost off the bench!

The two you built have special meaning to me, because they represent real vehicles from your past. The story that goes with them is what's important in my opionion. Hope 2015 is kind to you with many more awesome builds and financial stability.

The best kind of build, IMO .. something you know personally! And the look good and are unique!

Thanks guys! That's why I am completely content that I only finished two models because both of them matter to me. I'm going back to that well this year. I participate in Gary Kulchock's 24 Hour Build each year and I'm planning on building an International Scout that I almost bought back in the early 1990s. Then I have all the parts (and paint!) in one place to build the 1974 Mustang II my wife drove when I met her. It's fun to see these old friends slowly appear in 3D on the work bench!