Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tesla vs Hellcat

I think the driver of the Challenger needs a bit more practice with this drag racing thing. That much power, you just can't stand on it and expect two tires, even if they were slicks, to hook up. Some of the magazine drive tests I've read show the Charger some what better at getting traction due to greater weight over the rear tires. All that said I still think the Tesla is still going to be the winner here. Now if they could get the AWD on the Charger to stand up to the 700 HP then you might have a more apples to apples race.

I feel bad for the driver messing up the start. Anyway,i dont care if the Tesla have 9000hp,electric cars are a big zzz

for me. If i wanted a fast 4wd,four doors and a big boot,i would get the E63S Wagon 4Matic.

Well now, the E63S wagon is a much better choice than the Hellcat. Be a great surf board hauler.

The trick is to challenge the Tesla to a road trip.Maybe L.A. to Las Vegas,Detroit to Chicago,Boston to Washington,D.C.Then we'll see who gets there first.We'll even let the Tesla pack the extra long extension cord! :lol:

Anybody else read the article in Car & Driver last year where the Tesla almost lost a long distance race with a Model T Ford?If the T had been more a more reliable example it would have been no contest.

Edited by ZTony8

The Tesla is nice in the way that most electric cars are a joke,both look and performance wise. The Tesla

do look good,has great performance and lot`s of teck. It has become very pop over here,but the challenge

is range,also it can be extremely cold here. There have been some issues with customers having to replace

the engine,but when it happend,people from Tesla flew over with teck support and new engines in matter of

hours. What will be the challenge is selling these cars used and when the warranty is out. What does a new

engine cost,or battery pack,and how to update the software etc.

Overall i think it`s a great car for those who want an full electric car.

i think the tesla will find a niche in the market. at over 100 grand right now, prob not a very big niche....

A Tesla is more in the $80s and they will have a $40,000 model in a few years. There are two Teslas in my family right now.

If you had told any of us five years ago that an electric car would out drag a Hemi Challenger, Ferrari or Corvette we would've told you that was crazy. And now it's reality. I can't wait to see what the future holds.

Tesla is the most well thought out vehicle introduction in history. I have nothing but respect for this company. The big issue with electric cars is fueling, and they have pioneered a network of charging stations across the country. When you use the on board GPS it programs your route and mileage between them. That list is updated to your car computer overnight, every night. My cousin lives here in PA, and has driven as far west as Detroit, up to Maine and down to South Carolina and says that he never was inconvenienced longer than the time it took to have a meal. I predict it won't be long before a major restaurant chain announces chargers at all their restaurants.

And with them open sourcing their technology, it will only get easier. And the next generations of batteries will increase the charging distance. This is our future.

Edited by Tom Geiger

i think the tesla will find a niche in the market. at over 100 grand right now, prob not a very big niche....

unless you live somewhere with lots of rivers or nuclear reactors, i dont think the electric car is the "be-all-savior" go green machine people like to think. a huge chunk of N.America's power comes from..... burning....let's replace one pollutant with another...

(and jack up the hydro rates when 50 million cars jump on the grid...)

This is the truth, and a very real and important truth that the knee-jerk electric-car-crowd seem to ignore.

But the Tesla has also convincingly demonstrated that a very stylish, high-quality and high-performance vehicle is possible with electric power. Musk is definitely on the right track with his interlinking projects, like Solar City, that aim to take the generation of electricity and distribute it over many rooftops.

Guess the Hellcat driver turned off his traction-control, and red-lighted to boot. Would have been an interesting race.