I stumbled over this today, news to me but you may have seen it before

I blame Skip, he sent me the video :)

http://www.google.co...190.NXYhXl1nEL0

So I had to buy it

ScreenShot2014-12-05at07_38_29.png

http://www.hiroboy.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=80_43&products_id=6134

and not to be outdone for the Bentley fans...Jay Leno

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

There have been quite a few cars built around aero engines. One of the notables was the "Babs" land-speed-record car. In 1926, running a 27-liter Liberty aircraft engine, she set a world LSR record of 171 mph. There's a fascinating story that goes with this car.

1920px-Parry_Thomas_and_Babs%2C_Pendine%

Arfons "Green Monster" cars were powered by a variety of aircraft engines, from Allison V-12s to jets.

monster8.jpg

This crazy thing from Blastolene runs a 12.7 liter Ranger V12 aero engine as well.

the-blown-ranger-tri-inline-photo-496683

There's been no shortage of radial-engined contrivances either.

2416970_99.jpg

18yi5bwptm49wjpg.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I stumbled over this today, news to me but you may have seen it before

I blame Skip, he sent me the video :)

http://www.google.co...190.NXYhXl1nEL0

So I had to buy it

ScreenShot2014-12-05at07_38_29.png

http://www.hiroboy.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=80_43&products_id=6134

and not to be outdone for the Bentley fans...Jay Leno

I thought I might like this kit so I went to ebay. I saw the cost. Not getting it. : (

The Ranger inline 4-cylinder aircooled engine (which powered such trainers as the Fairchild PT-19 and the Ryan STA/PT-22) was a formidible sprint car engine in IMCA for a lot of years, converted from an inverted mouting (aircraft) to upright mounting in race cars.

Automobile engines in aircraft, you say? Well, the Pietenpol Aircamper of circa 1930 was a homebuilt kit plane powered by the Model A Ford 4-cylinder, and there were at least a couple of later kit/homebuilt light planes designed around the 21-stud Ford flathead V8--one even used a mofified '34 Ford grille in front of it's radiator.

Art

The Ranger inline 4-cylinder aircooled engine (which powered such trainers as the Fairchild PT-19 and the Ryan STA/PT-22) was a formidible sprint car engine in IMCA for a lot of years, converted from an inverted mouting (aircraft) to upright mounting in race cars.

Automobile engines in aircraft, you say? Well, the Pietenpol Aircamper of circa 1930 was a homebuilt kit plane powered by the Model A Ford 4-cylinder, and there were at least a couple of later kit/homebuilt light planes designed around the 21-stud Ford flathead V8--one even used a mofified '34 Ford grille in front of it's radiator.

Art

The smaller Ranger engine as used in the PT-19 was an inline 6, the L440. 300px-Ranger_L-440.jpg

Far as car engines in planes, I worked on a project putting a Chevy LS6 in a carbon-fiber Lancair Legacy. The plan was eventually to race it at Reno with an LS9, but a slicker aircraft design, the Nemesis, came out that could run the same class, and there was no reasonable hope of beating it. Project halted and sold.

Legacy_speedmod_lrg.jpg

0112.jpg

It looks a bit....special ;)

I think that it was a bit cooler in the first version.

beast5.jpg

If you google John Dodd The Beast you will find a lot of pictures and more info. There is also some videos of it on youtube.

Edited by Atmobil

The smaller Ranger engine as used in the PT-19 was an inline 6, the L440. 300px-Ranger_L-440.jpg

Far as car engines in planes, I worked on a project putting a Chevy LS6 in a carbon-fiber Lancair Legacy. The plan was eventually to race it at Reno with an LS9, but a slicker aircraft design, the Nemesis, came out that could run the same class, and there was no reasonable hope of beating it. Project halted and sold.

Legacy_speedmod_lrg.jpg

0112.jpg

I should have known that about the inline Ranger! After all, when I was a HS Freshman, taking metal shop--there was a Ranger 6 on an engine stand right there in the shop at West Lafayette High School--brain fade, I think!

Art