Model Cars Magazine Forum

Seeking new modellers ?

But also, when I was young, I firmly believe more people had hobbies.

Agreed. I think that comes from the home environment. My father's hobbies were photography, audio and electronics. He put himself through college photographing weddings, proms and school pictures. He had a dark room in his parent's basement. As I was growing up the darkroom was gone, but he always had good cameras and took a lot of pictures. He had great audio equipment, much of it I still have in the original boxes. He liked cars, but since he was military we moved a lot and that made hobbies difficult for him.

My mother always did crafts, knitting and other pursuits. In the 1960s she made those art kits where she glued down jewels and such to make pictures. So yes, I was brought up in a creative environment and I was encouraged to be interested in things or hobbies. I was always into cars, early on Matchbox cars, which led to models and 1:1 cars as well. I collected coins and still collect stamps.

And that has been passed down to my daughters who always enjoyed crafts and working with their hands.

On the other hand, my wife's family never had any hobbies. Her father and brothers watched sports and TV for entertainment. They never built models or otherwise created or collected things. When they saw my model room they were over whelmed. My eldest brother in law remarked, "That looks like work!"

Edited by Tom Geiger

Revell is reaching out to the next generation with the easy snap kits, they are doing Make and Takes with these at major events. And they will sell Make and Take packs to any organization that asks, low cost, probably at costs. Michaels was doing these too.

TV is way too expensive for the model companies today on their limited budgets. I don't remember any TV ads for kits when I was a kid, they reached out to us through comic book ads. I don't think kids read comics anymore.

Even the ad rates for major car magazines are way off the charts for model companies anymore.

Art

Even the ad rates for major car magazines are way off the charts for model companies anymore.

Art

Yeah. But there are some other, adult-oriented ads in many of them... I guess it pays the bills. Some of the magazines had car model articles or features (or whatever) on occasion. Revell even produced a "Hot Rod" magazine series of kits back in the '80s. I have yet to build the '55 and '57 that were in one box, which also included a '53 that I did build, and I still have the little "Hot Rod" sticker that was included in the box.

And I have to agree that owning a classic is so much better all kids talk about is stance this and turbo sti vtec what ever that, then there's me who brings up a conversation about jaguars or old mustangs and they just look at me

I have to say if you ever drove an STI or an EVO you might change your mind. These cars are fun to drive with a capital F

They might be fun but I've never liked them there's very few Japanese cars I'd drive mostly rare stuff like the 2000gt or a celica gt from the 70s, for new jdm cars to like the gtr I respect it's performance but I can't stand them same with sti and evo

Edited by Jaguar man 21

My dad built model cars, so I started "helping out" when I was 5. After a few years of the so called "helping out" he bought me my first kit. We went to a store and I got to pick my first car myself.

Now, I brought some models to my work, just to show some of them. I work with kids age 10-17. They are really interested, but I constantly have to SHOW that stuff exist. I don't know how many times I've heard "Wow, did you build that?", "Can I build my own model?", "Are there PLANES as well!?!" etc.

I started model building classes at work, bought a few different kits, airplanes, cars, spacecraft, rockets... So far approximately 30 kids boys and girls, that had never ever heard of such a thing as "scale model", have finished their own.

Sometimes it seems like a mix of "If you build it they will come", and "If you show them they will know". A whole bunch of them now, 12 months after the first "class", has shown me their first "Built-without-Robins-help"-models. They actually went home, told mom and dad, and bought their own models.

It makes me feel so happy, because all of this makes me remember the models I shared with my dad, from helping him paint carburetors, to showing him my first finished car.

-
Robin

Adding to my previous post:

I'm a young guy. Mid 20's kinda young guy. My problem with some builders of the "older generation" isn't the fact that I enjoy European and Japanese cars from the the 90's more than American cars from the 60's. After all I'm from Europe. If I build a Toyota and the response on this forum is minimal or even bashing, I don't really care. That particular car is special to me, and it looks great in my shelf.

MY problem is that, for example, I want to put a ford engine in my chevy. I'm going to put a ford engine in it. Who cares? A lot of people apparently.

I would never dare to build a rod out of a 40's Ford, because I would probably do it wrong. I'm scared of doing it. My problem is people that tell me I can't put that tranny on that engine, I can't put that axle on that chassis.

So I stick to modern-ish cars, with modern customization. I stick to rally cars, and GT cars, because I know how they're built, what parts are used.

That way I can't, in some guys point of view, sin by putting a Ford engine in my chevy.

Hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

>I want to put a ford engine in my chevy. I'm going to put a ford engine in it. Who cares? A lot of people apparently.

not Ed Big Daddy Roth, he got a big ford engine from the factory (3 actually; two went in the Mysterion) and he put it in his 56 (55 maybe?) chevy daily driver. so you got a pedigreed precedent there.

jb

>I want to put a ford engine in my chevy. I'm going to put a ford engine in it. Who cares? A lot of people apparently.

not Ed Big Daddy Roth, he got a big ford engine from the factory (3 actually; two went in the Mysterion) and he put it in his 56 (55 maybe?) chevy daily driver. so you got a pedigreed precedent there.

jb

You think that's bad think about how many people flipped tables over the Mustang in Tokyo Drift with the RB26DETT swap. I honestly don't see why people hate non same manufacture engine swaps,if you swap something in that does the task provided more efficiently or better suits the drivers desire then your good to go in my book. I've seen a good deal of FRS/BRZ's with LS swaps that are pretty darn cool.

One thing I got thinking about after reading some of these answers and thoughts, which, for the most part, have been quite constructive and thoughtful.

After all the time I spent teaching and doing some advising of sorts with DeMolay and Rainbow (the girls' counterpart to DeMolay,) I've noticed that most kids like to do stuff with their hands, and modeling is a natural extension of that. If you give them something to build instead of one of those mini electronic babysitters, you might actually start to develop their mental acuity and give them something to do that doesn't require a monthly subscription or to be otherwise plugged in.

Something means almost anything. Legos, Erector/Meccano sets, Tinkertoys, Guillow's balsa gliders, Bristle Blocks if they're really little, or Lincoln Logs, which I played with very happily well past "appropriate" age.

Activities like this, and that includes models, are better brain-builders than almost anything out there. They teach, amongst other things:

1. Patience.

2. Delayed gratification.

3. Planning.

4. Design.

5. Process.

6. An appreciation for doing a job well.

7. The importance of thinking ahead about what you have to work with and how to make it work, or what you need to make it work.

Models can come along, too, as they do the same things, but what I think is most important is that we, as adults (and a couple of you who have posted who are older teens,) can do is teach them the appreciation of a job not only well-done, but well-earned, is paramount to success in life.

When those things are mastered, get a simple snapper and go from there.

Charlie

I think this is a multi-part problem with many different possible solutions.

1 - I have been in some of the local hobby stores and the younger generation wants to build models of their daily drivers but there are very few models available. Yes, there are some Japanese kits available of Japanese cars but not what the kids drive to school and work every day. The kits that are available are mostly older kits from 15-20 years ago that have been recycled. The kids aren't buying those in large quantities. I sell products to car dealers and they ask me for new Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, Mazdas, Subarus, VWs, Chevy Cruze, etc. I have to keep telling them, 'sorry :(' and they don't like that.

2 - the model companies may want to look at other avenues for advertising their products. Facebook and other social media is a great idea. How many of you read the Revell Facebook page on a regular basis? But there are other places to advertise such as car magazines, comics, generic magazines, etc. In the 60s the model companies had ads in car magazines, Time and Life, comics, etc. They may also want to look at having displays at car shows and maybe even shows like 'Comicon' to show their specialty models.

3 - maybe it is time to expand the distribution network. I used to be able to buy a model kit at the local hobby shop but also the hardware store, variety store, drugstore and department store. In Montreal in the 60s, the biggest model car contest was held by 'Morgan's/Hudson's Bay' department store.

Now modelling is only a hobby store item.Not every town has a hobby store but every town has a drugstore and a hardware store and a variety store. I think some online stores work well and others do not. The good ones are reliable while the bad ones are not. In either case, there is no human contact and no one to answer questions the buyer/builder may have. I think human contact grows the hobby.

What this adds up to, in my opinion, is getting the models to the masses, not just the enthusiasts. There are 350 million people in North America, (Canada and U.S.) and a good run of kits is 100,000. The specialty runs are limited to 25,000 kits or less. My calculator doesn't do that small a fraction.

This discussion is also good in that it opens up new ideas to the model manufacturers and to the current hobbyists to expand the network. Let's make sure we all tell the model companies what we think is needed to expand the consumer base.

3 - maybe it is time to expand the distribution network. I used to be able to buy a model kit at the local hobby shop but also the hardware store, variety store, drugstore and department store.

Most of our retail market today is controlled by national chains, employing the exact science of sales per linear foot of shelf space and sales through put of product through their stores. When you talk with the buyer from Walmart, you're pretty much talking to 50% or more of the sales potential across the country. Same with hardware stores (now Lowes and Home Depot) or drug stores (now Walgreens and a handful of others), all managed through central control.

Walmart's efficiency is so great that they have sold the product before they've paid for it. Slow moving items hit the clearance rack, or are returned to vendors for credit, quickly and those SKUs don't get ordered again. There are no old dusty kits on shelves today.

That truly limits the opportunities by jobbers to sell a case of models here and there to mom and pop stores. I would go grocery shopping with my mother because there was a line of kits across the top of the frozen food cases and I could often whine and beg my way into getting one. Not today, I don't think I've seen kits outside of hobby shops and crafts chains like Michael's, AC Moore and Hobby Lobby in a long time.

Some of that sales potential has gone to sales sources that didn't exist when we were kids, like on-line retailers (who have replaced mail order companies) and venues like eBay and Amazon.

Tom - I agree with you about the big box stores. I also think that when you narrow your distribution, you narrow your market. FYI...there are no model kits in any large chain department store in Canada, not Walmart or anyone else. Michaels Arts store does carry them but at $40 for a standard kit, they don't sell too many. There are a few arts and crafts stores that carry model kits but they do not cater to kids, more of an accidental sale. There are a few variety stores that carry diecast but not kits. Yes, online sales are a big thing now but you still have to tell the kids about the kits and then sell them what they want to buy.

but you still have to tell the kids about the kits and then sell them what they want to buy.

Agreed Howard. When we were kids, back in the last century, model kits were on display in stores we frequented. I mentioned above that the Acme Supermarket had them lined up on top of the freezer box. I always begged my way into getting one on each trip. Today they are out of sight and out of mind. I don't know what the answer is.

Revell has come out with their new easy kits that they are sponsoring Make and Takes with at major auto events. Round 2 is still trying to get out from under the investment they made in old tooling. I'd say if there was an affordable way to advertise, they'd be doing it.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Revell sponsored (possibly a joint sponsorship) a contest on Stacy David's "Gearz", that show is no longer on the channels I receive but when it was, I looked forward to any announcements regarding the annual model contest.

Television media car shows could help themselves (and us model builders) by sponsoring and/or holding model contests annually which could capture the interest of the younger audience. I think there are very few model builders (of any type) that were not fascinated by their favorite building subject matter when they were younger and went on to build models as a creative outlet, or a design study or even as a proof of concept.

Media exposure like this is problematic because everyone involved will want "their piece of the pie" in regards to how it benefits them and their "bottom line". Few will want to wait for the target audience (kids) to grow up enough to buy real car parts and very few (if any) model car companies are willing to divert the expense and time to model car contests.

Most, if not all model contests are run/staffed by volunteers and a lot of the awards are paid for (or sponsored) by the host clubs or other interested parties...when I was more involved with a local model club, I helped with judging and sponsored an award for "Best Engineering".

A cooperative effort by larger model clubs or organizations in conjunction with a model car company and a TV or internet media outlet (YouTube, Facebook, Google, etc) could get an influx of young model builders.

I bring the model clubs into this because they will get exposure but they will also be the ones doing the contest judging, this would take some work load off the model car companies, the TV/media will gain viewers and the model car companies should gain sales. I've left the hobby shops out of this because their profit margins are usually so small that they won't want to participate...but they could.

Edited by blunc

That's a good post Mike, I can comment a bit further...

Revell / Gearz Contests - This was a good out reach to the general public. One of the things that troubled me was that "ringers" from our "lunatic fringe" herd were all over this contest. I got crucified on the boards for suggesting we sit it out and allow the contest to run as intended, with lesser experienced modelers. This contest was advertised with flyers on the shelf edge at Michael's so they were looking to involve the casual builders and kids.

Same with hobby shop sponsored contests... a while back there was a guy on one of the board who was bragging that he went to a hobby shop contest and won all the awards! He was quite proud of himself for stealing all the trophies from the little kids and casual modelers who entered. Doing so, absolutely kills the intent of the contests to bring new folks into the hobby. Once they experience something like this, they'll walk away angry and we've lost some potential builders.

People like us should be helping with these contests, holding the seminars during these contests and helping with the judging. It's better to be a role model than a big fish in a little pond.

Note that Revell is doing Make and Take events at major car shows. They have enlisted model car clubs to help with those. So our group is helping!

Sponsoring events for kids is difficult today, since the world went paranoid. Tri-State Scale Model Car Club tried to sponsor an annual kids contest many years ago. We found it impossible to promote the event. The schools, churches and even the scouts wouldn't work with us. Some questioned our motives as if we were pedophiles looking for access to kids. So the event went away after the third year since it was empty other than the kids of our own members.

I've noticed that most kids like to do stuff with their hands, and modeling is a natural extension of that. If you give them something to build instead of one of those mini electronic babysitters, you might actually start to develop their mental acuity and give them something to do that doesn't require a monthly subscription or to be otherwise plugged in.

Something means almost anything. Legos, Erector/Meccano sets, Tinkertoys, Guillow's balsa gliders, Bristle Blocks if they're really little, or Lincoln Logs...

Activities like this, and that includes models, are better brain-builders than almost anything out there. They teach, amongst other things:

1. Patience.

2. Delayed gratification.

3. Planning.

4. Design.

5. Process.

6. An appreciation for doing a job well.

7. The importance of thinking ahead about what you have to work with and how to make it work, or what you need to make it work.

... but what I think is most important is that we...can teach them the appreciation of a job not only well-done, but well-earned, is paramount to success in life.

Charlie

This is very well said.

The point of getting kids involved with building models is about a lot more than simply passing our interests on to another generation.

It's about giving young people a leg up in a world that may be becoming increasingly difficult to really prosper in.

Point-and-click is never going to fully replace the importance of physical, hands-on involvement with reality.

This is very well said.

The point of getting kids involved with building models is about a lot more than simply passing our interests on to another generation.

It's about giving young people a leg up in a world that may be becoming increasingly difficult to really prosper in.

Point-and-click is never going to fully replace the importance of physical, hands-on involvement with reality.

I agree, I think society is worshipping technology & is going too far. When I drive down the street & see 98% of the people with their little phone gadget attached to their face; soaking in radiofrequency energy - I can't help but think it's a bad Star Trek episode.... I'm not sure what the attraction / obsession is; I've done fine so far without. In the future, if all positions are filled by robots; humans will turn into useless lumps; but I'll try and think positive & keep enjoying this great hobby !!

Several years ago one of the local hobby shops ran an annual model car contest. The store owner contacted all the boy scout troops in the area and invited them to attend and enter the contest, knowing that they had a modelling badge award. He offered the scouts a special class and extra awards and free admission. He was turned down because the scouts would not enter a competitive event they did not organize. After trying for a few years, he finally gave up, defeated by some narrow minded thinking :(

Has anyone ever been able to get scout troops to enter their contest?

Has anyone ever been able to get scout troops to enter their contest?

Best I ever did was when my older daughter was a Girl Scout. Each family had to provide a craft meeting for the troop. My wife didn't know what to do, so I suggested we build snap kits. It actually went very well. We caravaned a couple of mini vans full of girls to the Jersey Shore Model Car Club meeting and the members worked with the girls to get the cars together. Everyone finished and took their cars home. My daughter's friends talked about it for years, so it was a success. But I did that as a parent of a troop member, so it wasn't the scouts trusting an outside entity.