Model Cars Magazine Forum

Could you make a business case for upcoming new kit subjects?

Bill is correct these aren't '32 Fords. Being Model A Fords with their straight A and B pillars one couldn't ask for an easier body to chop or channel. Jeff you need to do your home work and look on the H.A.M.B. site for some great 1:1 tutorials as well as some of the dedicated Rod magazines. Man it don't get any more basic than this. When in doubt chop it.

Well I'm not exactly an inexperienced model builder and I can tell you that I've botched this twice... The fact that they are not 32s is not important. What I mean to suggest is that it'd be nice to have a kit of this era that's already chopped and channeled. The chopped 49 was very successful, and I'm sure Revell is smart enough to find the right balance of chopping and channeling for most of us.

As far as a Tucker. My opinion, for what little its worth, is that its an ugly car that 90% of people buying models would not buy. I get why some folks would want to build it, and also why most wouldn't.

Tucker has been done both in resin and die cast. A few seasons ago I had a summer intern named Tucker. He had never heard of the car but I got him into the history and he thought the whole thing was cool. I got him the die cast as a parting gift.

A Tucker would be a disaster as a new kit, but it would be pretty cool to get that helicopter engine on scale!

I have to agree on the Mustang coupe. 64/66 or 67/68 I'd take. My bet is that the 64/66 probably has more options and appeal (though I prefer the 67). The AMT kit really is dated. I mean, Revell is doing the 67 Camaro where the old AMT still exists... So why not the Mustang ? Makes sense to me.

Chopped and Channeled 32 hot Rod. Think of all the variations of body styles you could release. Hood, no hood, copue, sedan, convertible.... Plus the chassis an body would be already chopped and channeled. Kind of like they did with the 49 Merc. I tried and failed to shop an AMT 49... Revell solved that issue. I also failed at chopping and channeling an AMT switchers kit. I bet I'm not alone either... Build it dirty. Build it shiny.... I can see at least 5 releases of this in different variations.

a9e33869724f3b1a3ca67ffefe846b3b.jpgtumblr_lq6t5e6BGb1qzq4jto1_500.jpg

Jeff...those are actually an early ('28/'29) Model A on the left, and a late ('30/'31) Model A on the right, but I fully agree with you, these would make excellent kit topics and particularly the chopped and channelled '31 A Coupe on the right is about THE hottest subject in the 1/1 scale Hot Rod world right now.

I just finished a model build very similar to the one of the right, using the new Replicas and Miniatures body from Norm Veber, and I was extremely pleased with how it turned out.

TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Go to any street rod event and the number one most popular Chevy by a country mile is the '34 Chevy. Ever seen a model of one?

Cheers

Alan

Alan, Cheers yourself, mate!

Fully agree with you on a '34 Chevy series, although from my point of view, I would be happy with anything from a '33-36 model year vintage, Master or DeLuxe series.

I heard a rumor that a kit topic something like this might have been under possible consideration at one point, but that was several years ago and I don't recall where I heard it (it wasn't directly from the model companies, that's for sure, because if it was, I couldn't be mentioning it here!), and I can't remember to what company (if any) the possible development was attributed, either.

A few years back I would have said "no way ever on this face of this earth", but what with chopped '49 Merc and early 50's Hudson kits having been developed and selling successfully, these days a more topical statement might be "Never say never".

TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Well said, Tom.

Imagine having a new, modern, full detail 70 Chevelle LS-6. I think that would rank right up there with the new Revell 70 Cuda. Mechanically and chassis-wise, all the 68 to 72 Chevelles are pretty much identical appearance-wise (a 454 block looks the same as a 402, which looks the same as a 396). I believe the interior remained pretty much unchanged from 70 through 72. So it would be possible to field a whole roster of Chevelles with just body/wheel changes, plus new interiors for the 68 and 69.

If you really want to run with this idea, you could even use the basic chassis for B-O-P variations (new 70 GTO Judge anyone?)

Robert...right on, man! Love that '70 LS6, and would also love to see it as an El Camino (ergo my article in the latest Model Cars magazine).

Not to mention that '70 GTO Judge convertible you suggest, which would also need to include the first-ever in 1/25th scale correct Ram Air IV engine as well. That one is at the top of my personal "new muscle car model kit list" right at the moment, now that the '70 'cuda has made it to the market ...

TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Robert...right on, man! Love that '70 LS6, and would also love to see it as an El Camino (ergo my article in the latest Model Cars magazine).

Not to mention that '70 GTO Judge convertible you suggest, which would also need to include the first-ever in 1/25th scale correct Ram Air IV engine as well. That one is at the top of my new muscle car mode kit list right at the moment now that the '70 'cuda has made it to the market ...

TIM

Not exact the same vehicle but one of it's possible siblings...

http://ideas.revell.de/ideas/item/2630/

Please feel free to share your thoughts and or ad comments Tim & Robert.

1957 -1966 Ford trucks

For the trucks they could make many of the bed options for all three makes. Like a parts pack ,Wrecker, Box, flat bed, utility box, camper and on and on.

Andy....again, fully agree with you on this.

At the top of my pickup list (especially since Moebius is now doing the Bumpside '67-72 series) are the 1957 Ford Styleside and the 1961-63 Unibody F100.

These are both iconic body styles, growing in popularity in the 1/1 scale hot rod world, and capable of many kit derivatives.

The '57 has never been done as a 1/25th scale kit (though you can get one through Holthaus if memory serves), and the '61-63 Unibody has only been done as a LWB annual kit, and the old AMT '63 (due to having been reissued) is the only one you can realistically actually find (albeit with a 3 digit price tag for an touched kit), so I'd probably further narrow the focus to a SWB '61 or '62 Unibody.

The '57 would lend itself (which some clever die design) to later '58, '59, and '60 kit versions, and the '61/'62 could later deliver some Flareside and/or chassis cab (e.g. wrecker) kits although these would be more difficult due to the need for a second body tool (due to the single unibody cab/pickkup design), and a second, longer wheelbase chassis. In that regard, maybe it might be better (from a business case perspective) to do the '64-66 versions, which returned to a separate cab for the Styeside pickup and also have never been done as a 1/25th scale kit. These would more easily support later, derivative kit versions.

TIM

Not exact the same vehicle but one of it's possible siblings...

http://ideas.revell.de/ideas/item/2630/

Please feel free to share your thoughts and or ad comments Tim & Robert.

Yep, Luc, agree fully. The '71 GTO's, particularly the Judge versions, were extremely low production vs. the '70's, but this seems to make them all the more valuable in the 1/1 scale auction world, where I would say they are near to the values for '70 GTO Judge converts. And yes, for a '71, the 455 HO was THE engine to have, and thus would be exactly the right choice for the kit version.

TIM

Another possibility would be a full detail Ford Maverick; the supply of reissues of the Jo-Han kit is drying up, and it had a simple chassis anyway. There should be enough variations to make it worthwhile, like street machine, Pro Stock, and especially Grabber. Would it be cheaper if a company could copy the dimensions of the Jo-Han body and tool up the rest with more detail?

Lots of great ideas here. Tim, Luc: I totally agree on the GTOs: the closest thing we have right now is the MPC 72 GTO, which is a real pig. I think the last time the MPC 70 was available was the late 80s, and it's a challenge to build a decent shelf model out of that one, too.

I personally would love a 78 to 81 Malibu, I like the clean styling of these and they make great street machines and drag cars. One of the drawbacks from a marketing perspective is that there was never a factory performance version of these cars, and I'm not sure if they would have enough appeal to the general public.

I've also owned 1:1 versions of the 77-79 Caprice coupes and 73-77 Chevelles, so I would personally probably buy a case of each if they released a kit, but unfortunately these cars don't seem to be on the radar of the general public very much. Even many "car guys" don't have much appreciation for these. The 2nd car I owned was a 77 Monte Carlo, so I was overjoyed years ago when Revell brought out their snap kit of that one, but it seems like the days of those type of new releases is long gone.

Edited by Robberbaron

I'd make a case for an all-new 62-65 Nova series. Trumpeter's was an overpriced, overengineered and didn't really sell enough pieces to hurt potential demand and AMT never made a modern full-detail kit. You'd be able to get possible sedans, hardtops, convertibles, wagons, SS models, V-8s, inline 6's, all manner of drag racing versions, there's a ton of potential there.

I'd make a case for an all-new 62-65 Nova series. Trumpeter's was an overpriced, overengineered and didn't really sell enough pieces to hurt potential demand and AMT never made a modern full-detail kit. You'd be able to get possible sedans, hardtops, convertibles, wagons, SS models, V-8s, inline 6's, all manner of drag racing versions, there's a ton of potential there.

And they could base it, on their existing 66 nova chassis.

A good subject for Revell to consider.

I've never understood the lack of '73 through '77 GM A and G body cars as models. These cars were big hits in the day. Several I'd love see: 1. '73 Chevelle SS (2-door of course, but the wagon would be cool too). 2. '73 Monte Carlo. 3. '73 Buick Century GS or Regal. 4. Just about any '73 - '77 Cutlass Supreme, Cutlass Salon, or 4-4-2 (Supreme was one of the best selling cars of the 1970's). 5. '73 Pontiac Grand Prix or GTO. These were the last of the mid size GM cars with the 454 and 455 big blocks in them. I'd like them stock. But, many of these cars were raced. Especially in NASCAR.

The other one that needs to be done are the 1977 through 1991 full size Chevrolets. Make mine a '77 Impala coupe. But, here's a car that I think would sell big in just about any body style. Coupe, sedan, or wagon. I don't remember many being raced. But think of all the cop cars, taxis, etc. Plus the "Family Truckster" type station wagons! I would love a Caprice Estate (3-seat version) with the fake wood.

Someone else mentioned the '51 Ford. Again I don't understand why AMT never did this one years ago. Especially the '51 Victoria 2-door hardtop. The Victoria was only offered on the "shoebox" for '51. I like the front end of the '49 and '50s better. But, love that Victoria body style. Being that I mainly like building stock, I need a '51.

My two cents on the Tucker? I think it might sell OK. Looking at all the die casts done over the last twenty years or so, there maybe a market for it. If it's ever done, I know I'll buy one.

Scott Aho

Edited by unclescott58

I was also disappointed with the Trumpeter Chevy II kits.

Art

I've seen very few Trumpeter Nova kits actually built, and the builders deserved an award for patience, perserverance and excellent eyesight! More of the Trumpeter Falcon kits got built because they weren't as difficult to assemble, and had fewer parts.

Also a good one IMHO of course is this one, although I think the whole body has to be re-done together with a '70 but also in 1/25th scale...

Anyway wrote the following back the early 2000,s with help from some friends....if there are mistakes or things to add feel free to comment.

1969 Ford Mustang Boss 302

A’ 69 Mustang Boss 302 based on Revell kit 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1 428CJ.
The basic 428CJ is nicely done kit that has never received its dues, and maybe it has something to do with its marquee which looks a bit odd , still there are lots of things a motivated and skilled modeller can do with this kit, but so can a model company by tooling up a few modified and a few new pieces to add more mileage to an existing tool while having a brand new release, in this case one which is more appealing to the eye , due to the bold graphics combined with a high impact color grabs your attention, just as the ’70 version got mine, while passing on earlier editions of that kit.

Parts which will remain the same between the original and modified tool.

Front and rear suspension, Complete interior including, the front seats, dashboard, steering wheels, etc., The basic body shell, rear fascia, sport mirrors, rear wing, window unit, and other clear parts.

Parts of the original tool which will have to be changed or added.

Completely new engine to replicate a 302.
Non-Shaker (flat) hood., a set of short center cap Magnum 500 wheels, the front clip and grille needs to be re-done, the body mold core piece and side inserts need to be re-done, in a way that both the non as well as the rear fender mounted side scoops Mustang versions can be done.
On the chassis the power cylinder, which is found only on big block cars should be removed and added as a separate part to the mold.

Other possible versions from the original or modified tool.
a) The ’69 Boss 302 can easily be converted into a ’69 Boss 429 with the
change of hoods to a non-Shaker style hood with the opening for the Boss 429 air cleaner, a change of engine from a 302 to a 429 and the addition of the proper hood scoop. This option would also require a set of long center cap Magnum 500 wheels and the proper decals.

B) The ’69 Boss 302 can also be converted into a ’69 Boss 302 T/A racer.
This conversion is more involved than the other as it would require a new interior tub to replicate a gutted racing interior, a new drivers seat, a removable rear seat, a new dashboard with blanks for the HVAC and radio, a proper roll cage, a fire extinguisher, a new racing style exhaust system, blank out
plates for the headlights, a set of Minilite racing wheels, a set of racing slicks and the proper vintage racing decals. Most importantly, the body tool needs new side cavities ($$$$) because of the flared wheel wells. Alternately, this concept can be scaled back considerably, perhaps by releasing a sort of illegal T/A style street racer/canyon carver type of car, with lots of the hardware of the T/A racing version (except body) and the choice between the Minilites on racing tires or more modern style footwear. Let the resin casters do the necessary work for a correct T/A body and the decals. We can do this as the target audience for this version is age 35+ and thus very aware of the aftermarket

c) A much better looking Mustang Mach 1 because of the retooled front.

Packaging :

The Boss 302 release should feature a Bright Yellow picture of a 1 :1 car with the picture being taken from the front ¾ angle down low to accentuate the lines and artwork (striping) of the car. If the Boss 429 is included as an option, then it should be featured prominently on one of the end caps like what Revell has done recently with their ’68 Pontiac Firebird.
The Boss 302 racer should feature either the George Follmer or Parnelli Jones car snaking through the esses at Laguna Seca, done either as artwork or a vintage photo.
The street racer, well half the box art will be smoke hehehe (and the sides will be filled with the obligatory remarks that we do not endorse racing on public roads and that seeing tire smoke on the box art can not be used to sue for ‘secondary smoke’ lawsuits against our company).

slide_1.jpg

Also posted on the site below, as some ex 250K proposals by participants of the former HH site.

http://ideas.revell.de/ideas/item/2632/