Model Cars Magazine Forum

GunMetal Foil?

What exactly do you consider "gunmetal"? To me, gun metal is either a very dark, shiny black (bluing) or a flat medium-dark gray (Parkerizing).

There have been many, many finishes applied to firearms, including various paints. "Gunmetal" isn't very descriptive. :unsure:

What about using chrome BMF and going over it with something like a black felt pen.

Red chrome ?????

Maybe Harry can pipe in -- he occasionally uses black window tint spray to tone down chrome and brass plating, and might work on BMF chrome and matte aluminum. Worked very nicely to darken some red velvet carpeting I'm using.

One of the reasons for the coloured/coated BMF being difficult is that the added colour/coating, gold, black, brass, whatever, is applied on top of the natural aluminum foil. When you add a second coating, the foil, or any other product, becomes thicker and more difficult to use.You would be better off to experiment with adding the colour after you have applied the chrome foil to your model. I have used chrome BMF to replicate a brushed aluminum roof panel, like the 50s Cadillacs, by brushing it after applying it to the roof. It is slow but it works. Try any colour you want and see what happens :)

I just checked BMF's website (you can order direct BTW) and they still make the black foil and the ultra bright chrome. However, my results with the black foil have been about like everybody else says. On the other hand, it's not impossible to work with. Try it and see and if it can do what your project needs.