Contest models that got skunked - show 'em!

• You cannot reply to this topic
135 replies to this topic

#101 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

I've noticed that the type of car you build has a huge impact. I'm 28 and I know most model judges that I've seen are nearly twice that age. They tend to appreciate cars they are familiar with more than cars they know nothing of. A beautifully built GT-R or Toyota AE86 aren't gonna draw the attention of a classic or muscle car. Flat colors are the same way, not many people are in to them. I'm building a 1990 Ford Taurus SHO right now. I know that no matter how great it turns out it will never EVER win anything simply because it's a factory stock Ford Taurus. What appeals to you won't always appeal to the judges. There's just too many factors that are out of your control. Build what you like and have fun. That's probably the best advice I can give.

Ummm, I don't think so.  I am a little bit more than twice your age, I was the head judge at the L.I.A.R.S. Challenge(until we moved to SC) and it doesn't make a difference to me what kind of car I might be judging- they all get judged by the same standards.  You might want to really look at your "factory stock Ford Taurus" to see why  you think it "will never EVER win".

I have judged, been judged, went home with four awards for four entries and I have been skunked more than once.  I have  taken first place in categories in which mine was the only entry(which is kinda embarrassing).  I don't know all about judging but I've been on both sides often enough to have heard it all about judges, judging, contest entrants and their entries.  In my opinion, judging is purely arbitrary, seemingly heavily influenced by tides, astrology, sunspots, phases of the moon and the state of mind of those judges at that time.  IPMS or not, there are no hard and fast rules and regulations that are used by all model contests.  Not all contests are judged; some winners are determined by the popular vote of those who did enter that contest or even those who merely were in attendance at that contest.

I once participated in an event at a MASSCAR exhibition called "You Be the Judge."  Three teams, with three experienced judges per team, checked out three models to determine 1st, 2nd and 3rd.  The results -surprise!!!- differed for each team.  Go figure.

I have seen a judge pick up a model (mine) that was displayed on a clear platform which was raised almost two inches above a clean mirror that was larger than the model itself- you could see everything on the model.  The entry form that was with the model indicated "Please do not touch".  These guys were eating nice, olive-oily NY pizza shortly before judging.  Duhhh...

It wouldn't be fair to offer an opinion as to why a model did or didn't do well at any particular contest by photos alone.  Photos can change a models true appearance- I've seen the results.  The model really needs to be seen up-close-and-personal.

If you really want to know why your model didn't do well at a contest, you should quietly, politely ask the judges.  They should be able to explain their decision and advise what you might have done to obtain better results.

One thing I do know is that you need to have your basic modeling skills nailed down.  A shiny paint job and all the glittery P.E. stuff available won't compensate for loose parts, sloppy glue application or seams where there should be none.

I don't build just for contests.  A majority of my builds are not what would be considered contest-quality, but I enjoyed building them.  When I set out to build a contest-quality model, I put my heart and soul into it.  I'll make pages of notes, find reference material, amass all components and raw material and put my best effort into the build.  If (I realize that) I mess something up, I'll do it again until I get it "right".  It works for me, but it's a lot like work.

Edited by johnbuzzed, 21 June 2013 - 07:51 AM.

#102 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,644 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

.....When I set out to build a contest-quality model, I put my heart and soul into it.  I'll make pages of notes, find reference material, amass all components and raw material and put my best effort into the build.  If (I realize that) I mess something up, I'll do it again until I get it "right".  It works for me, but it's a lot like work.

Hmmmmm.....sounds like the way I end up doing EVERYTHING. No wonder it always seems like work.

#103 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

Hmmmmm.....sounds like the way I end up doing EVERYTHING. No wonder it always seems like work.

All too often lately, that's how a lot of my stuff goes.  I have a simple idea for a nice, easy, fun build, which eventually turns far more complex than I thought it would.  Could this be an obsession or a compulsion?

#104 raisin27

raisin27

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

What an interesting topic!

Here's one that always seemed unappreciated to me. I had so much fun building this one because its such an oddball. Who ever heard of making a street machine from a 4dr Plymouth police car??

P1018648.jpg

P1018638.jpg

Raisin

#105 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,437 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

I totally respect those who build for contests, but I quit building models to try and win contests a long time ago. These days, I build stuff to please myself and I enjoy building a lot more now.

Nice job on the Cougar BTW. It's a neat piece and I'd be happy to have it on much shelf. I wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks very much. I enjoyed building it and am pleased with the results of my work. But I want you to know that I don't build with contests in mind. I never build this or that because it might do well at a contest. One look in my album will prove that. The most frequent comment I get at contests is, "Ive never seen one of those before." I build what I want ........................ but I built it with the care and quality that could win an award. That idea keeps me improving as a builder. And isn't that the whole point? Not to mention it gets me out and meeting you fine folks.

Here's one that always seemed unappreciated to me. I had so much fun building this one because its such an oddball. Who ever heard of making a street machine from a 4dr Plymouth police car??

Michael, it's a great looking model and that two tone looks perfect.

#106 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Full Name:Mike

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

Michael, that is killer! I love the color combo, and the modern HEMI really is a great touch, keep trying, it'll hit the right judges sooner or later!

Rob, I've sat here and looked at that Cougar since this thread started, and if it was mine, I'd add a pinstripe down the sides following the body lines. A bright red, grabber blue, or sublime green would really set it off, getting it some more attention and possibly a win!

#107 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,437 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

Ill agree Mike that would look good or the gold stripes that came with the kit.

#108 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Full Name:Mike

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

Yeah, just some kind of bright color to draw 'em in, then they can drool over the rest of the work on it!

#109 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,759 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

I built this one about 12 years ago. It was my first custom in at least a decade. I used the venerable AMT '49 Merc kit. It has a complete tuck and roll interior I made from Evergreen half round. Window cranks I scratched from beads and wire. I custom mixed flocking to match for the carpet. The engine was transplanted from a Ford Pickup as was the rear end. You can see the body mods.

DSCF0314.jpg

DSCF0315.jpg

DSCF0317.jpg

DSCF0318.jpg

DSCF0319.jpg

Paint is airbrushed MM Enamel, Black and Turquoise polished with Novus. There is no clear on this one. Never got a mention in any show it was entered in. Still it was a huge fun build for me.

G

#110 Lunajammer

Lunajammer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Laliberte

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

"One man's meat is another man's poison." How many models that got skunked at a contest was the talk of the town at another contest? I guess it depends on the company you're in. I use contests as a measure of where I'm at and how much further I need to go vs. how much further I care to go. Contests are my chance to bring and brag. Otherwise I'm pretty much just pullin' for the good door prize.

#111 Jeremy Jon

Jeremy Jon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • Full Name:Jeremy Jon

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

Some really good models in this thread, all winners IMO

I never did really like contest shows, even for 1:1 car shows, to me each car is unique and a different character, and to be enjoyed on that basis IMHO

:)

#112 CemetaryAngel81

CemetaryAngel81

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Full Name:Lorenzo Vargas

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

Contests are not an exact science and the best models don't always win.

You can't really take it personally, it comes down
to the judges decision on that day, another day
would probably yeild another decision. Build for
yourself, if you are Happy that's all that counts.

Your model looks Great, maybe it will win next time... B)

I second this notion

#113 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:59 AM

Wow, lots of great builds here.  To me they are all winners.  I never build for shows nor judges.  I build out of my imagination for myself.  This pretty much guarantees I will enjoy they hobby for a good long time.

#114 tooltas

tooltas

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts
  • Full Name:todd staples

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:59 AM

same here they all winner . we built for fun if we win then is cool if we donot its ok too I have 3 contest car and no winner too but a good one going this year. :wub:

#115 Deathgoblin

Deathgoblin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Wilson

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:09 AM

I think this is why I haven't bothered with any contests yet.  I build for me, mostly.  If the guys at the model car club like them too, great.  I'm really not interested in taking home awards.  But each build gets a little better than the last, and I always try new stuff on each one, so maybe one day I'll try a contest.   

#116 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,089 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

I realize contests are judged, unfortunately, by the Human Being species so  take it all with a grain of salt. I don't feel I build to a level that will place in a contest but if I'm going to a non-NNL show I will usually put something in just to participate and show.

In my younger days, 14 in 1960, I entered a '36 Ford into a contest at the local hobby shop. To my amazement it placer 2nd in the class ... and no adult/minor separation back then. So I started on a build of a '40 Ford Sedan JUST to compete in next year's contest. I did everything I could to lower it, as was the big thing then in the 1:1 custom world ... radically chopped, channeled and sectioned with tiny 13" wheels. It scaled out to 48" high. The bodywork was extensive using Cushenbery's El Matador as inspiration. The final painting started just days before the contest and was my first attempt with Candy Apple paint. The result was pretty disgusting with dark blobs where it ran and pooled at the lower body edges. There were many new things I tried ... striped corduroy upholstery, full wiring, opened doors with working handles, rotating bucket seats.

I was at Boy Scout Camp when it came time to pick it up and see if I had placed anywhere in my second model contest, so my Dad picked it up alone. I was astounded it placed First In the Custom Class ... with that abysmal paint job. I figured all the mods and bodywork over rode the paint. But, I was floored when my Dad said it was up for Best In Show and only lost because they said it was "un-roadable", NOT because the paint sucked! LOW as it'll GO was the thing at the time in 1:1 contests! I would have been much happier if they just said the paint lost it for me .... HUMANS!  :lol:

40ford3a-1.jpg

40ford1b-1.jpg

40fordhood_DSC0343.jpg

Edited by Foxer, 13 July 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#117 uncle potts

uncle potts

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Full Name:paul cowell

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

An incident happened at a local model show around here at the end of last year.  I entered a model in the Curbside Class.  When I put my model on the table, there was another model already there of a Lowrider style build that had an opening hood with fully detailed engine compartment, opening doors, and opening trunk.  It clearly did NOT belong in the Curbside Class.  I mentioned it to a member of the host club who said that they would look into it.  Later on I was told that since it was fairly late in the day, and, since it was Peoples Choice balloting (NNL Style) that it was too late to move the model and to try to get everyone who already cast their ballots to recast them.  That  model won the Curbside Class.  (I also noticed that the person whose model it was, had a large entourage of people with him, who obviously voted for his model.)

Now I'm not complaining because MY model didn't win in Curbside (I took a First Place Award in Replica Stock, a First Place Award in Custom, and Best In Show).  My point is that the Lowrider model did NOT belong in the Curbside Class.  I'm thinking that the builder looked over the entries in Custom Class and didn't feel that his model would win there, so he put it in the Curbside Class where none of the other models had the detail that his did.  

I've seen the same at some of the shows in our area. They bring as many friends as they can so they can "stuff the ballot box". I would just as soon win honestly or not at all. Let the trophy whores do what they do, I'll continue to build what I like and go to the shows that are run well, by people who run as fair a show as they can. If I win , that's great, if not, I still like the experience.

#118 uncle potts

uncle potts

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Full Name:paul cowell

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

P1018648.jpg

P1018638.jpg

Raisin

I appreciate it, a lot!

#119 Dominik

Dominik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts
  • Full Name:Dominik Weitzer

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

Michael,

your 4Dr Policecar blows me away! Wow! Can i cach up this idea for a gluebomb in my stash? Thats amazing and a really really good idea.

For my own, i didn't take on contest.  i build for my own to have fun and relax in this great hobby we share.

When i search the web for contests in your states, i often think :"...could i have a chance?". It doesn't matter for me. If only one of the visiters takes a look, perhaps make some photos and ask some questions, i am on the winning side. that all counts for me.

#120 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

If only one of the visiters takes a look, perhaps make some photos and ask some questions, i am on the winning side. that all counts for me.

I agree with Dominik. Though I visit every Show/Contest I can, the most important thing for me is to see what other guys have built, get new tips, tricks or something. And I bring my models if someone likes to see them. Sometimes I win, that's nice, sometimes I don't, but that's not the thing I'm after. Of course it's fun to win something, but more fun is to meet friends and see other's builds.