Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thames Woody

I found a really neat wood veneer product at Hobby Lobby today.It's called "WOOD-FX".You get (5) 8-1/2"x11"sheets in a package.It is small grained and paper backed.It measures .015" thick.This is real wood so each sheet is different.

The original price had been $ 11.99 but this was in their clearance section(my favorite) so I got it for $ 7.19.I see a lot of uses for this product.It will work perfectly for any flat panel application such as slab sided woody wagons like yours,dash inserts and interior panels.

You can get some really nice wood molding pieces in Basswood in the miniature doll house wood in a well stocked hobby shop, they're already cut just like some of the wood in real woodies, and are real wood you can stain, and use Krylon Crystal Clear for a nice glossy finish. Use the extra thick Glaze clear for your finish, it has a high solids content and is super shiny on some absorbent surfaces since it builds quickly.

• 1 year later...

Lots of woody kits out there now.....Anybody find any good methods for simulating wood recently?

Paint and texture appliques?

This weathered aged cracked wood technique by  bpletcher55 - posted by Foxer is really nice:http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/90111-weathered-wood/

- Used the folkart paints then distress crackle paint, then some light gray and flat black  - ,colors are raw sienna on the large panels ,cinnamon on the trim ,

w9bafm.jpg

Edited by SpeedShift
  • Like 1

I believe the engine used was a 1172 cc Ford 10 hp side-valve engine.  There are some differences, but the 4 cyl. from the Model A wouldn't be a bad place to start.  Although the engine in the picture is a very late engine, note where the upper radiator hose connects to the head in the attached picture.

A search on the 'net should get you the pictures you'd need.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Sidevalve_engine

Ford_Side_valve.thumb.jpg.f6ac619565d4a3

I believe the engine used was a 1172 cc Ford 10 hp side-valve engine.  There are some differences, but the 4 cyl. from the Model A wouldn't be a bad place to start.  Although the engine in the picture is a very late engine, note where the upper radiator hose connects to the head in the attached picture.

A search on the 'net should get you the pictures you'd need.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Sidevalve_engine

Ford_Side_valve.thumb.jpg.f6ac619565d4a3

Wow I remember that engine. My wife had the Ford 100E Popular when we got married in 1968, with that beast under the bonnet. Yes it was as said all 1172cc, three speed manual box with exhaust intake powered windscreen wipers, the faster you went (up to the maximum of 45 miles per hour) the slower they went! Heres a pic of one in the same colour..........

Ford%20100E%20Popular_zpsfaqdlx5x.jpg

The OP hasn't been on here in nearly two years...

Still, for the record, the model A four banger isn't a good subsitute for a stock Anglia/Thames engine.  The 1172cc British Ford is only about a third of the displacement of the model A engine - the bore is only 2.5", so it's tiny in comparison.

Still, for the record, the model A four banger isn't a good subsitute for a stock Anglia/Thames engine.  The 1172cc British Ford is only about a third of the displacement of the model A engine - the bore is only 2.5", so it's tiny in comparison.

And the carb and exhaust are on the wrong side.  About the external dimensions, I don't know for sure, but, as I backed checked the info I found on Wikipedia, it indicated that the engine was developed from the Model A engine.  It is not an unfair assumption to think the outside dimensions and appearance of the engine block could/would be the same despite a large difference in displacement.  Since we're discussing British makes, I would cite the Austin A40.

I did manage to locate another view of this little Ford engine.  Perhaps, when the op gets back, he would like to scale it up, and check the external measurements against that of a  flat-head 4 cyl. from the Model A, and then decide to go on with what ever mods it would need.  I still think is still a pretty good place to start.

Prefect_Motor_1.thumb.JPG.a3f6bfb47c82aa

T

Edited by tedd60

Yep...it has been awhile - but I am the OP - and I tried to get my password reset several times and all my messages went unanswered.

So, I gave up on that - and reintroduced myself recently in the introductions section - but I had to use an entirely new user name to log on to do it.

Nonetheless, I thought I'd pick up this thread were I left off.

Hey Dodge - If you have a better suggestion I'm all ears...I don't know if it makes sense to try and replicate a stock Anglia/Thames motor at this point - if it can be done,  I'll give it a try.

it sounds like the 1172cc British Ford is much smaller than the Ford A - 4cylinder...so it is not equivalent. But it sounds like the Ford A -4 cyl. is more engine than needed?

I would think since hot rod versions of Anglias and Thames have used everything from f.i. small blocks up to a supercharged Rat motor,  - everything is fair game if I consider an engine swap.

Doing a woody and not a dragster, I'm looking at less .

Thanks for the posts everyone.

I want to finish this but the engine is a decision that needs to be made.

Anglia Thames Woody2.jpg

Thames Woody 2.jpg

DSCN1431.jpg

Edited by SpeedShift

spin the head 180deg, change the distributor to a newer style, move the carb, intake and exhaust to the other side of the motor and you'll be close enough for this scale. might have to move the starter too...

it's only plastic, bend it to your will.  ;)

Edited by blunc
edit

Hi Jim. What a great project!  Good to have you back on the forum and digging out this old build.   What did you use for front suspension?  It seems narrower and lower than the kit setup.

The front axle in the kit is a unit that raises the front end  for weight distribution -  typical of dragsters of the time.

I'll need to check a kit box deep in the closet, - but I'm pretty sure both the front dropped axle and the rear axle are from the Old AMT 1929 Model "A" roadster - kit #6572 or a variant.

thames chasis.JPG

thames dropped axle.JPG

The front axle in the kit is a unit that raises the front end  for weight distribution -  typical of dragsters of the time.

I'll need to check a kit box deep in the closet, - but I'm pretty sure both the front dropped axle and the rear axle are from the Old AMT 1929 Model "A" roadster - kit #6572 or a variant.

Thanks Jim - I see you narrowed it!  I've been unable to find one of the right width without resorting to the same solution.

Hi Jim. What a great project!  Good to have you back on the forum and digging out this old build.   What did you use for front suspension?  It seems narrower and lower than the kit setup.

I'll need to check a kit box deep in the closet, - but I'm pretty sure both the front dropped axle and the rear axle are from the old AMT 1929 Model "A" roadster - kit #6572 or a variant.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty sure the tires and steelie wheels are form the 1950 Ford pickup

monogram_1950_ford.thumb.jpg.d607b09b3b5

amt 1929 A.jpg

Edited by SpeedShift

Yep...it has been awhile - but I am the OP - and I tried to get my password reset several times and all my messages went unanswered.

So, I gave up on that - and reintroduced myself recently in the introductions section - but I had to use an entirely new user name to log on to do it.

Nonetheless, I thought I'd pick up this thread were I left off.

Hey Dodge - If you have a better suggestion I'm all ears...I don't know if it makes sense to try and replicate a stock Anglia/Thames motor at this point - if it can be done,  I'll give it a try.

it sounds like the 1172cc British Ford is much smaller than the Ford A - 4cylinder...so it is not equivalent. But it sounds like the Ford A -4 cyl. is more engine than needed?

I would think since hot rod versions of Anglias and Thames have used everything from f.i. small blocks up to a supercharged Rat motor,  - everything is fair game if I consider an engine swap.

Doing a woody and not a dragster, I'm looking at less .

Thanks for the posts everyone.

I want to finish this but the engine is a decision that needs to be made.

Aha, I didn't twig you were the OP., it was late and I'd only skimmed the thread  :)

From what I can find online, the model A block is 19 5/16" x 7 13/16" in plan.  The British sidevalve is about 13" x 5 1/2", so about 2/3 the size of the A engine.  I haven't been able to find anything on the height of the British Ford engine, but obviously it'll be smaller in that dimension as well.  Then, as mentioned, the inlet and exhaust are on the opposite side...  seems is would be as easy to start from scratch.

As long as you're not doing a factory stock replica you can make that motor whatever you want....as long as it fits. Why not start with the 4 Banger with period correct hop up equipment? If a small block Chevy will fit, why not that? The venerable 283 with multiple carbs. Both mills can be sourced from numerous Revell kits.

I'll need to check a kit box deep in the closet, - but I'm pretty sure both the front dropped axle and the rear axle are from the Old AMT 1929 Model "A" roadster - kit #6572 or a variant.monogram_1950_ford.thumb.jpg.d607b09b3b5

• 3 years later...

Hi Speedshift, just found this thread so I'm probably a bit late but.....there is a very small flathead four engine in the Hella Citroen kit.  Don't have anything handy to show you but maybe someone here knows the one I mean - a spindly, boat tailed, solid wheeled 1920's car.  If you want to get close to the size of the original  English banger, this may be the ticket.

Cheers

Alan

23 hours ago, alan barton said:

Hi Speedshift, just found this thread so I'm probably a bit late but.....there is a very small flathead four engine in the Hella Citroen kit.  Don't have anything handy to show you but maybe someone here knows the one I mean - a spindly, boat tailed, solid wheeled 1920's car.  If you want to get close to the size of the original  English banger, this may be the ticket.

Cheers

Alan

F9230312-9BD4-4628-A04A-8ED5611987EC.jpeg.214b2e9b421ce4a3c7798f27d8975f8b.jpeg

Alan, here’s the engine from the Heller Citroen Borden’s Milk truck. Is this the engine you are talking about?

2589F6CC-860B-443A-BFA9-31B741A49CDF.jpeg.471ea159f11ec13192905f97f3b7947c.jpeg

My reference picture of a 1:1