Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1939/1940 Ford Sedan

topher5150

All of the early AMT kits used the same motor mounts and engine swaps were super busy. They were kinda patterned after the Ansen frame mounts that used flathead "biscuits" as the engine mount itself and an adapter for each engine, and one for each different chassis with the biscuit sandwiched between them. The 1971 - 1973 four cylinder Pinto's used almost the same style, and were even a little better since they had a restraining cable through them in case the rubber mount separated. But I digress there.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Looking at two instruction sheets from the original and Spic'n Span Sedan issues it appears there are no stock exhaust manifolds and no exhaust system....at all. :blink: Is that correct?

40sedst.thumb.jpg.5bf21cd53e230170da2c2a0e31cdb54e.jpg

27 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

There is a single muffler and pipes molded into the chassis.:wacko:

.....I can say that even though there is, when I built my gasser 40 coupe, removing it completely and plating the floor with plastic sheet was super easy, and took maybe an hour to complete.....if you look up TROUBLE MAKER in the drag car section, all my photos should appear with a chassis shot to see what I mean...hope this helps...the Ace....^_^

On 4/15/2018 at 1:47 PM, Casey said:

Looking at two instruction sheets from the original and Spic'n Span Sedan issues it appears there are no stock exhaust manifolds and no exhaust system....at all. :blink: Is that correct?

40sedst.thumb.jpg.5bf21cd53e230170da2c2a0e31cdb54e.jpg

Stock exhaust manifolds and crossover pipe are molded to the engine. These go with the molded single system Greg mentioned. 

On 2/15/2018 at 9:17 PM, Dave Darby said:

Thanks. I wish the Revell kit would have been around back in 1992 when I built this one. Hood and grille are much nicer. But the AMTs are more fun.

IMG_9377rt-vi.jpg

20180103_215530-vi.jpg

Thanks for the retro workbench photo. That could have been taken in the 60's except the photo would have probably been a black and white.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2018 at 11:18 PM, Dave Darby said:

Like this?

20180417_221219.jpg

On 4/17/2018 at 8:41 PM, misterNNL said:

Thanks for the retro workbench photo. That could have been taken in the 60's except the photo would have probably been a black and white.

My oldest daughter used to ask me if life in th past was all black and white

I know what that's like as well. I visit our local elementary school annually and share facts about the history if our little village. The teacher shows antique photos on a screen and I explain where they were taken and what we think might be if intrest to them. Most if those images are over 100 years old so they are all black and white. I have been asked if everything was black and white then as these kids have no concept of pictures that are not colored.

• 2 months later...
47 minutes ago, Casey said:

Back to the Sedan, did anyone pick one of these kits up yet? I'm wondering if the decal sheet is similar to or the same as the original issue, like so?:

It didn't come out with the first batch of July stuff (AutoCar, Coke Trailer, Tiger Shark & Gear Hustler El Camino), so it'll probably be a week or so until the rest comes in closer to the end of the month. 

Edited by niteowl7710

Some inspiration found at random on the internet - the Minnesota Orphan.  At least it's inspiring me to rip into the AMT kit.  This thing is just all kinds of cool - the screaming yellow paint, patches of gray primer and red wheels with chrome trim rings.  It says "265 CI" so must be running an early Chevy small-block with what looks like 6 2-barrel carbs. 

40ford-1.jpg

On 7/15/2018 at 5:26 PM, Mike999 said:

Some inspiration found at random on the internet - the Minnesota Orphan.  At least it's inspiring me to rip into the AMT kit.  This thing is just all kinds of cool - the screaming yellow paint, patches of gray primer and red wheels with chrome trim rings.  It says "265 CI" so must be running an early Chevy small-block with what looks like 6 2-barrel carbs. 

40ford-1.jpg

That is pretty cool. Did you find any more photos of it?

8 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

That is pretty cool. Did you find any more photos of it?

No, sorry.  I've searched every which way and that's the only pic I found of it.  And I found that one some time ago, so don't remember where I stole it.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:43 PM, Casey said:

Back to the Sedan, did anyone pick one of these kits up yet? I'm wondering if the decal sheet is similar to or the same as the original issue, like so?:

AMTT27840FordSedanSnS.thumb.jpg.877d8e45492e89661ec042a413faf5de.jpg

Some of the original kits may have had that sheet, but most of the sedan kits had one that matched up with the box art.  The sheet pictured was included in some of the AMT Gasser series kits that had the cartoon-style box art that didn't show any decals ('36 Ford, '57 Chevy, etc.)...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018 at 12:17 AM, Dave Darby said:

I've only seen the Lindberg 40s in pink or blue. Anybody seen a Lindberg 40 kit molded in white? This one has no louvers, like the blue one in a previous post.

The original Lindberg 40 Ford Deluxe 2 in 1 kit with the black and yellow with flames hotrod and the blue stock version on the box was originally molded in blue, then the 3 in 1 kit with the black and yellow with flames version, red stock version and police car version was molded in white. All releases since have been molded in white and it is still easy to find in the Dodge L700 kit with the flatbed trailer and 40 Ford Deluxe as the load, but the 40 Ford Deluxe in the last 3 L700 kits that I've bought has an extreme amount of flash and very heavy seam lines. The L700 tooling is very crisp and clean in all 3 kits.

• 2 weeks later...