Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes Benz 300SL in 1.32nd

peekay

This is my latest effort. It's Tomy of Japan's fantastic kit in 1.32nd scale, which comes with PE parts and the window frames already chromed.

The only parts I've added are the antenna, minimal plumbing and the MB star on the back - there's a PE part in the kit but I preferred this chrome decal from Global Toy.

You have a choice of decals or PE for the scripts - I preferred the decals.

The fit of the "Flügeltüren" (doors) isn't perfect but a more skilled modeler might be able to improve that. There are authentic looking but non-functional chrome stanchions to permanently hold the doors open but I left them off so I can display the car open or closed.

IMG_2855-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_2852-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_2859-vi.jpgHosted on FotkiHosted on Fotki

mcm300SL4-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Here it is next to a 1.24th model...

IMG_2869-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by peekay

Even though I'm not a Mercedes Benz guy, I have to admit that I've always liked this body style. And WOW, this build is excellent! If you didn't say it, I would have never ever guessed that it's 1/32 scale model, to me it looks just like a well detailed 1/25 kit looks. Very nice work all over on it. Nice and smooth paint job with sharp details. Looks very realistic to me.

Maybe this is the best 1/32 scale build I've ever seen. Congrats.

Thanks so much everyone!

BTW  It has become a tradition with me that I screw up the very last detail to go on a model.  I make mistakes randomly throughout a build, as I'm sure most of us do, but I can pretty much rely on the last piece being problematic. In this case it was the decal for the front licence plate loosing a corner. If the model were in 1.25th I would have had a replacement at hand but I don't have spares in this scale.

I also have the Jaguar SS100 from this series and there was a Ferrari 250GTO and an early Porsche, a speedster if memory serves. The Jag is a spectacular, multi-media kit and I've made a start on it: