Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 charger gasser , final assembly

crazyrichard

started on the rolcage , wanted to do that never made a cage ti'll now :)

now please trust me on the close ups the cage looks real thick .. weird because irl on the eye from a normal distace the thickness looks way less and spot on ..

first made a paper template then made the hoop , 2 joints wich are drilles open and haave steel pins inside for stability

drilled holes in the rear box finish

then made 2 bars , filed it round so it wras around the other bar and run them through the parcel shelf

thnx guys !

will be added on ....will run through the front and firewall and tie in with the bars running from there to the front frame and the side of the firewall

started making a brace between the rear bars , didnt do a brace in a angle , the space is quit small and imo this looked better and still tied in the bars

then made bars from the hoop in a bend to the floor just next to the seat area , those also got a brace between them.

the idea it to make  brace from there along the side of the doorpanels to the front to tie in with the front chassis bars .

now i tried just a anged bar direct from the hoop to the front , that would make it hard to get in and out , the way i'm doing it now will keep the bar on the inside of the doors low so they can step over it easy .. just let the interiour guide me on the shape and try to keep it looking like it makes sense

seats will not have this color its a filler layer .. but maybe i will go for one racing seat a real race seat and put only one seat in it .. i kind of dig the racy look

thnx anthony !

went on with the cage .. tried a top cage to the a pillars , that looked horrible ...so i'm keeping a backcage and connect that to the bars on the firewall and front chassis

so made bars from the back to the front keeling them low for getting in and out .. now i thing with a gasser this looks better then going all crazy with x braces

the idea for this fuell cell .. i like it .. could look killer with more detail but i cant cut out the stock tank anymore to much in the way now .....

made a sidebar low behind the seats , this also keeps the bars to the front in line , i have to keep the cage removable for paint

all together

with the front , need to start on that as well make hinges

complete cage out ..

so i made small brackets on the side panels of the interiour tub .. so i can glue there after paint ...doesnt need to look nice all will be hidden

thnx guys !

Interesting project Richard. Your fab work is a joy to watch.

thnx and well this started as a fun build , got this from my ex brother in law who slapped it together without paint and loads of glue all out of line ..

so it started as a fun build thinking apocaliptic gasser .. but as the project went on it grew bigger and more serious then i expected :)

now i thought there would never be a charger gasser like this but i actually found 2 pics of charger gassers with flip front .. found those when i already had this mock up ..

i would never buy this kit and then go this style or gasser .. only happened because it was a glue bomb rescue , in the end thats fun .. then you sometimes build what you would normally dont do ...

a nother fun thing , i was more a ratrod - hotrod - leadsled kind of builder .. this one made me real enthousiastic about gassers and also thinking of  building a pro mod in the future ...

just having fun :)

Edited by crazyrichard

i started a center console , i had one so used that as a base ...filed openings so it would go over the cage bar

i didnt like the console , too small and i wanted to make something custom that fits the rest better .. kind of create a mix between drag and street on the interiour , so i cut the top of and bended a new top from hard plastic ..

made sides and rough filed the edges round ..kept the lines between the panels , later i will scibe those deeper , now they are full of glue

finished the rear end , rough still needs fine sanding

painted the seats

first put medical , cloth tape on the center and cut it out ..

the painted them matt black , now note > its grey outside and no matter what lighting i used it was one black mass on pictures .. bbest was by the window and then i made the pics lighter otherwise you cant see the cloth .. irl they are real dark black

again here the seats look light , i lightened the pic .. much darker irl

maybe i will put a chrome r/t logo on the headrest ?

haha thnx joe  , that medical tape is awsome , you can use it on a floor or  parcel shelf ...

just made a 3 pod gauge holder .. dont know what for yet .. could sit on the hoof with wires and hose .. but its a flip front so then it should sit where the wiper mounts .. or maybe it will go in / on / under the dash

then went on working on the steering column and wheel position , seats will get custom frames now i raised them a bit with some styrene under them , just for testfitting

with the center console

then started on  the dash .. went for how most people would make a custom dash in a drag car , just a straight piece .. but i will add some stuff , first made a roud edge below .. for some depth .. will build in gauges ..

very loose test fit , steering wheel is to far in , just for the idea

somebody here mentioned my gear box looked like a b&m hydro clutch box ... i'm no expert but fter some google searching .. i removed the clutchpedal and went auto ....

then looked at b&m shifters like these

i could not put in the whole unit then i would have to loose my center console and i want that in that will get the same look as the seats with cloth in the center and smooth sodes all black .. now i saw some shifters with consoles over them and mine was pretty high ...

so i made a slot in the console

from real aluminium plate i folded and cut the stick , used a steel bead that fits on top with a white round head from a needle pin

after many faild attempts and glue fingers i could not glue on the micro tiny endle on the stick .. so i folded open the alu and glued in in between like a sandwich ... cost some swearing and patience .. bit of both .. man thats so small

primered the console so i can put on cloth and spray it black later .. the shifter next to it it shows how small it is .. i wanted to make it look like a hinge was there on the handle but my hands are too big lol

thnx dave

went on with the cloth theme from the chairs and upholstered the center of the console

atm the console is sprayed matt black .. for anyone who wants to try the cloth technique .. dont flip when paint is on on the tape it looks weird and rough .. when dryed that is gone .. now i use cue tips and after paint tap the cloth carefully with a semi wet cue tip to get a bit of excess paint off ...pics of the black console will follow later it looks horrible when wet seats where like that as well again after drying its fine

then with lots of patience a small metal file and then sandpaper cleaned up the shifter ...rounded all edges

with a layes of gloss clear

yuup thats pretty tiny .. i made some small stuff in my garage dio ..but this is the smallest detailed thing i made for a car ...

thnx joe ... didnt plan all this but its getting more and more detailed .. so much to do .. also on the engine and underside ...but i hae to finish the interiour and know how to fit it all after paint .. then i can finish the rest and go to primer on the body and chassis ...

the center console is 90% dry .. again hard to photograph looks better irl then you see the difference better between smooth and cloth ..

one thing bothered me ... i hope it wont be too dark when its all together .. like the detail gets lost ... i mean now the doorpanels and rear box thing also needs to be black imo .. i could go with grey carpet on the floor ...but the rest def. needs to be black .. on the parecel shelf i will put cloth tape and on the boxes behind the seats i also want to put cloth on squares ...

cage .. either body color or chrome .. i think i'd like body color better , chrome would be such a big contrast between the black

thnx carl !

i have a cool idea .. to avoid ending up with a too dark interiour ...

by using real aluminium , i had to be carefull with cutting and filing the edges so i wont have scrathes on the nice smooth side ..

on the cobra i sanded it all so it was matte now i use the smooth side , dont toutch it and mount like this >

then it kind of reflects and mirrors a bit .. gies a cool effect , later when i then paint the cage in the bodycolor .. i think a perfect mix

the rear section >

i made one panel just kept it like this not benden and running down , just a square .. on the L+R side next to the one on the pic i want to make 2 small square panels..

then upholster the rest with cloth .. the raised lines keep those smooth .. paint it all black and put the alu panels in .. so then i will have black smooth > black cloth and shiney alu..

then do the top parcel shelf cloth black ..

i tried a alu dash .. hmm didnt look that good tbh .. the width that needs to be makes that the alu isnt really straight after cutting and light hts it and it looked wobbely ..

then tried a strip of alu .. also didnt look great .. so the dash piece i will do black i think .. with chrome gauges