Model Cars Magazine Forum

American 1:25 scale four door sedan and wagon promos and kits

Junkman

I guess to be PC correct.

I am pretty sure Johan did all Mopar promos up to and including 1964 , From there Johan did only the Plymouth's up to 1970.

MPC did the 1965 thru 1970 Dodges, and I think they took over them all after 1970 model year for Ma Mopar.

same thing applies to the kits of the period

AMT did the '66 Barracuda promos, and I assume the '65s too. And weren't there Valiants in there too?

Speaking of which, who did the '67 Barracuda promos? AMT did the kit, but from '68 on the Barracudas were MPC, obviously based on the same molds. Did AMT or MPC originally do them?

AMT did the '66 Barracuda promos, and I assume the '65s too. And weren't there Valiants in there too?

Speaking of which, who did the '67 Barracuda promos? AMT did the kit, but from '68 on the Barracudas were MPC, obviously based on the same molds. Did AMT or MPC originally do them?

I cant answer this in all certainty . The only early Barracuda promos  I have is a 66 and a 69  . And I have an original issue 68 barracuda kit which I know is MPC 

I think the 66 promo may be AMT , and can only assume MPC did the 69 promos

I mainly collect the mid size B body cars . GTX , Chargers etc etc

Jo-Han did some (but not all) Plymouths through 1970.  SMP (a company with separate ownership, but considerable investment by AMT) did the Imperials from '57 or '58 through the sale of SMP to AMT in late '61.  AMT continued through '66, then Jo-Han did the '67 and '68.  A small number of '62 Imperial convertible kits were actually boxed as SMP.  The custom license plates in the AMT-boxed kits might still have "smp" lettering on them, I'm not certain though.

SMP also did the Valiant (a separate make for '60, became a Plymouth for '61).  Again, SMP through '61, AMT '62-'66 for promos ('65 for Craftsman Series kits).  Some '62 Valiant kits (Styline series, in the larger flatter box) are branded SMP, others AMT.  None of the SMP/AMT Valiant kits ever came with an engine.

AMT did Plymouth Barracuda promos and kits through '67.  MPC produced the '68 and '69 from the same tool.  How MPC got it (and the Chevy Fleetside pickup) from AMT between the '67 and '68 is unknown.  These weren't "MPC kit in an AMT box" deals like the '65 Coronet or '28 Ford sedan.  The '67 versions of both were AMT, tires and all (the '67 Barracuda kit used the smaller "compact car" tires similar to those in the Corvair).  Then for '68, both turned up as MPC items.  If anyone knows how or why this came about, they aren't talking.

Jo-Han did the fullsize Plymouths through '68 ('62-'64 were really intermediates, but they were the biggest cars Plymouth offered in those years).  For '69 and '70 they did the GTX (no Roadrunner promo until MPC's '71).  Then it was all over for Chrysler Corporation promos at Jo-Han.  Jo-Han seemed to be a lot more dependent on the promotional model side of the business than MPC or AMT; the loss of the Chrysler business was probably the start of their long decline.  They picked up a couple of pieces of Ford business with the Maverick/Comet and '72 Torino, but Ford quit doing promos after '72 so Jo-Han never really had much of a chance with them.  I remember seeing the first Maverick kit way back when, it was a surprise to see it as a Jo-Han item.   

FOUR-DOOR SEDANS IN CAST IRON:

Arcade did the Ford Model T, as well as Buick, Chevrolet, and Dodge.  Other toy companies offered sedans, too.

FOUR-DOOR SEDANS IN RUBBER AND TIN:

There is a lot to choose from in rubber and tin.  Auburn Rubber made Oldsmobiles, Fords, and others prior to WWII.  The detail is pretty good.  Firestone also made rubber Fords for various expositions and World Fairs.  I don't know much about tin cars, but I did see a nice '30s Packard and a '34 Ford recently up for auction.

FOUR-DOOR SEDANS IN SLUSH CAST ALUMINUM:

Master Caster did Hudson from 1948 to 1955, but only the 1948-49 is common. 

AMT did the Ford fordor in 1948, its only aluminum model toy. 

National Products did Studebaker sedans from 1934-1936, and possibly later.  They also did a '34 Graham, Hupmobile, Chrysler and DeSoto Airflows.  They made Buick sedans from 1939-41 (and possibly earlier), and 1947-1950.  The Pontiac four-door fastback was made in 1947-1948, and the conventional sedan (like Chevy Styline) was made in 1949. 

Banthrico/National Products did the 1949-51 Lincoln and Mercury sedans, some 1949-1956 Chrysler, Dodge and DeSoto sedans, 1953 Mercury, and a Lincoln of the same vintage. 

Banthrico did Buick 4-door sedans in 1952 and 1953, and Cadillac sedans in 1952, 1954, and 1955.  They also did Chevy Styline sedans and Fleetline fastbacks in 1949 and 1950.  They also did some Ford sedans through 1956, and 1953 and 1954 Clipper DeLuxe. 

FOUR-DOOR SEDANS IN PLASTIC:

Besides what was already mentioned, the Chevy 150 sedan was made in 1953 by PMC. 

AMT did the 1951 and 1952 Pontiac Chieftain, and 1954 and 1955 Buick Roadmaster. 

Ideal/Jo-Han did the 1955 Pontiac, DeSoto, and Plymouth.  They also did the DeSoto and Plymouth again in 1956. 

1956 was the year many model cars were done in four-door hardtops for the first time (Star Chief, 98, Roadmaster, Ford Victoria, Dodge Lancer).

I guess that's enough for now.

I wish we could have more 60s 4 doors and wagons available for us all again.  I have several listed all need parts and repairs.  The PMC stuff did warp horribly.

tHE PMC stuff was primarily toys, even sold in the supermarket. havivg said that, styrene can be britle an break easy. Acetate and other rubbery type msterials survive child's play but warp in the end.

The 60 Fairlane was HUBLEY's 1/24 offering Never Jo-Han's.

How about the Town Limo from their 31 Cadillac

It WAS 4dr

I built one many years ago, and have another to build again

Did Not think 1/32 were included as topic title is 1/25..

AMT/Revell did 2 others (4 considering they were 55 & 56 ANNUALS then)

in the 1/32 series

The Mercury Montclair Pheaton, and Buick Roadmaster

I have 1 of each 56

Buick needs parts though (window frames)

• 2 weeks later...

Johan's '61-'62 Oldses were mentioned in the initial list.  They are four-door hardtops, as opposed to being sedans.  The '61 is a Super 88, as is the '62, I believe, not a Ninety-Eight which was a longer body with a different roof.

That said, It would be nice if Moebius could consider doing a two-door sedan version of their '61 Pontiac.  :-)

• 4 years later...

Brookfield have made some four door promos from the 90s.

Chrysler Cirrus

Dodge Stratus

Plymouth Neon

Dodge Neon

Oldsmobile Aurora

They also made some fully opening diecasts in 1/24 like the Dodge Intrepid, Chrysler New Yorker, Chrysler LHS and Chrysler Concorde.

12 minutes ago, pack rat said:

Another promo from the 90's; the AMT/Ertl '98 Olds Intrigue

AMT Ertll 98 Olds Intrigue.JPG

Interesting, I'd never heard of/seen that one before!

Is that the Olds version of the Chevy Corsica? I drove a 4-door Corsica for a while, wouldn't be difficult to paint one of these to match it. 

Edited by Snake45

14 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Interesting, I'd never heard of/seen that one before!

Is that the Olds version of the Chevy Corsica? I drove a 4-door Corsica for a while, wouldn't be difficult to paint one of these to match it. 

It's a "W" body; the Olds version of the Grand Prix/Lumina/Regal etc.  It replaced the Cutlass Supreme in '98.

On 6/3/2020 at 2:18 PM, pack rat said:

It's a "W" body; the Olds version of the Grand Prix/Lumina/Regal etc.  It replaced the Cutlass Supreme in '98.

It's also the last Oldsmobile promotional model.  

Noticed that you're missing from your Oldsmobile list:

1956 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight DeLuxe Holiday Sedan, and

1957 Oldsmobile Starfire 98 Holiday Sedan.

Both promos made by Jo-Han and later re-popped by X-El.

I bought the X-El '57 by mail order circa-1990 (pictured) and I'm still wishing on the '56...

JoHan 57 Olds 98.jpg