Model Cars Magazine Forum

1999 Chevy Dually (Jada Toys Reconstruct)

I recently, found a subject that I'd been looking for the "plastic" model companies to produce to no avail.....Sucks, but I've had to resort to die cast models to get something that I want.....While the Meng F350 kit is an incredible offering, it is a little pricey....I've got 3 of those, but I don't think I'll be able to get to many more of those.....Happily, there is a bit of an alternative.....I found these Jada "Just Trucks" offerings......They're only about $22, and they come with an extra set of custom wheels and tires.....I thought to myself "A truck AND a set of extra wheels for $22 ????" I'm SOLD" There's gotta be something I can do with these.....I found it at Walmart, but the flea market had loads more !!!! Anyway, here's what I did to one of them.....I took it apart, raised the ride height, and widened the stance on this one.....But I couldn't just stop there.....I just had to put my signature orange paint on it.....This is what came off the re assembly line.....It's 1/24 scale, as well....Not some stupid 1/27 off scale Krap.....I'm quite pleased with how it came out.....Semi curb side, but nothing like this in plastic....

20160326_210419_zpsxtcxivb9.jpg

20160323_123447_zps8vikprpc.jpg

20160323_123441_zpsr7cfhnqz.jpg

20160323_123406_zpsmq92bz7c.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

I've had thoughts of picking up a few of these since the truck stops are loaded with them. I can use my fuel points to pick them up for, nothing. 

Great job JT. Maybe a few of these will get me back into the modeling mood. You did a fine job taking it apart and making it your own. I hear ya on the subjects in die-cast are more than plastic. I've also been eyeing one of those Ford F650 or whatever number they are, 5th wheel pullers. 

I've had thoughts of picking up a few of these since the truck stops are loaded with them. I can use my fuel points to pick them up for, nothing. 

Great job JT. Maybe a few of these will get me back into the modeling mood. You did a fine job taking it apart and making it your own. I hear ya on the subjects in die-cast are more than plastic. I've also been eyeing one of those Ford F650 or whatever number they are, 5th wheel pullers. 

Thanks, Buddy......I actually saw some die cast "desert" trucks at a Love's in Dallas.....Not sure why they had them, there, but they had working suspension with decent travel and everything......I ended up buying a couple Dodge Ram trucks instead, but I can't wait to go back later this year to grab a couple of those.....I haven't seen them anywhere else around here, so I'll have to wait till the next tournament to get to them....And I want another one of those Testors F650's, myself....I'll have to check around and see what I can find......I have one....I got it from Hobby Lobby years ago, but never got around to buying any more....Oh well.....

And thank you guys for your interest...... ;)

The truck stops have all sorts of the "compulsive purchase" items. Some guys out for weeks at a time will pick up some "goodies" for the kiddies at home. The Love's seems to have a large selection of die-cast Jada vehicles. The Pilot/Flyin J have all but phased them out. The T/A /Petro have an ok selection in the main store. But the Love's have the largest in my areas at least. That's where I bought my excavators. Maybe my next stop in a Love's will yield a F650 or a Chevy dually pickem up.

The truck stops have all sorts of the "compulsive purchase" items. Some guys out for weeks at a time will pick up some "goodies" for the kiddies at home. The Love's seems to have a large selection of die-cast Jada vehicles. The Pilot/Flyin J have all but phased them out. The T/A /Petro have an ok selection in the main store. But the Love's have the largest in my areas at least. That's where I bought my excavators. Maybe my next stop in a Love's will yield a F650 or a Chevy dually pickem up.

I do like Love's.....All kinds of stuff, as you say.....I got both of my excavators, there, as well.....

They both look very cool. I don't know what it is about diecast, just doesn't seem as 'fun' to work with as plastic but you did a great job on both.

Thanks, Man.....To be honest, it doesn't give the degree of satisfaction as a fully unassembled model would, but it was quite a bit of fun....It's a little more challenging than it may seem.....Once you take it apart, (that's an adventure in itself) you have to remember how to put it back together......I had a BLAST doing it.....Widening the stance, making new axles, raising the ride height......All without breaking something....That was FUN.....I recommend that you try one when you need a little motivation for another project.....I found it very therapeutic...... ;)

Thanks, Boys.....This was so much fun.....I'll be tackling the other one pictured, soon.......And as soon as I get my bed parts for my Meng kit from Scenes Unlimited, I'm going to get started on THAT..... I'm itchin' for some scratchin'.... :D

Good looking truck J.T. I got one of these at wm last week to redo for my galaxy trailer. For some reason they were out of orange paint though!!!

That's what I was thinking when I bought mine......I think it would look great with at Galaxie behind it.....I've got quite a few of those that need trucks to haul them.....