Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Hey Joe, nice to hear from you and appreciate your peeking in on the thread.  The blower I'm replicating is modeled after an Air Research blower from the early/mid 70's.  I have some great pics of the Jade Grenade and a few funny cars that ran this 9 rib case.  What you see today is 6 hours & 4 busted end mills to get the rear plate done.  My intention was to get the bearing plate cover done too but I just ran out of time.  Hopefully tomorrow.  cheers, tim

DSC 0004

DSC 0035

Thanks John, I only wish I could work at a fraction of the speed that you do.  

Leonard, hey man glad you stopped by and checked it out.  What are you working on btw?   Ready to post some pics soon?  

Got the bearing plate done, next I'll add the necessary bolts etc. and do the front plate/blower drive. I've not glued it on yet so it's a wee bit off center in these pics.   Cheers, Tim

DSC 0058

Edited by Codi

Tim... Wow... Is there anything you can't do...lol Man what a work of Ar that rear plate and bearing plate is. You are unstoppable. maybe its for the best I haven't gotten any work done on the funny car. I may need to pack it up and start collecting dolls now... :lol::lol:. Looking good my friend!! I am really blown away by this.

Hi Randy, thanks for the compliment, hope to see an update from you soon........

Dave, thanks too as always.

Chris, you were a HUGE help with the 3D printed pieces you sent to me.  They confirmed various dimensions for me and gave me the confidence to attempt machining them.  BIG thanks!!!

Art, also appreciated.......hope to see that brass midget of yours soon...wink-wink!!  

Got the front blower cover done and just have to glue it all up and add the necessary nuts/bolts.  I can move on now but I will admit I'm very pleased how it turned out.  I want to especially thank Chris Sobak and Dave, comp1839, for their contributions as well.   Cheers, Tim

DSC 0038

DSC 0044

DSC 0079

DSC 0094

Edited by Codi

Tim.... What I can I say my friend but that Blower is so Gorgeous as well as the whole engine. It is looking incredible and so impressive. I still can't believe everything is 100% machined. I am loving this engine. You are welcome for the 3D printed parts, I was glad they were able to help you with making your pieces. When things are designed from 1:1 dimensions and then scaled down, everything should fit up fine....lol. I think the hardest thing for me is that I still can't believe this is 1/25th scale even though I know it is. Just imagining  how much smaller things are compared to my 1/16th scale engine in a sense blows me away. I look forward to you next update and surprise for us. Its not rather a surprise but a treat for us. Thank you for sharing your work with us.

Chris, really appreciate your interest and following along.  I've learned a lot from your Vega build & it must have been my good fortune to have someone building a drag car from the same period.  Still itching to see a new thread get posted by you on the dragster..........or whatever you've got up your sleeve. 

John, my same sentiments when I stare (and I do mean stare) at your threads.  Your current Vette Funny is everything one would expect of your builds.  No pressure huh? :)  I'm still following and enjoying too. 

Dave, all that back and forth months ago trying to decide what style of car to build and now I can see it was the right one as this beast will be front & center.  Soon I'll break out my air brush and start messing around with some paint colors / themes for it as I continue the last bits of body work and supports.  Should be painted by around Labor Day or so.   Thanks again for all your info, suggestions & overall assistance.    

Happy July 4th Guys!     Tim

i'm glad you decided to do the altered. not being a smart a** but, that rear engined funny car (while very cool) just wasn't the right platform for this engine.  i (unfortunately) new the massive undertaking you were heading in to. having this jewel not only covered up by a body but, behind the driver as well. that would have been nothing short of "sinful".

you're going to have a blast with the paint. this era was full of killer paint jobs!!!!

I know you're oh so right Dave.  Glad I had a mentor to point the way.  ;)

Clay, too funny.  Truly enjoying your dragster build & glad you're still checking the bantam out as I get towards the end.

Bob, appreciated too.....I just finished drawing up the idler pulley bracket and should have it machined tomorrow or the next day.   I'm really getting excited even though progress has been slowed up due to summer right now as I can see the end of the road on this build.  I've done some mock-ups of the engine that I've not shared and it's looking pretty sweet if I may say so myself.   50 or so bolts just to detail the blower which took more than half a day to do.  I'll share more pics when the next bracket is done.  I think I only have the front engine mounts & a few other odds and ends to machine then I'm into painting, plating, polishing and assembly.  August will be mostly paint time I hope.  Oh how I wish I had Teresi's skills when it came to paint. 

Cheers, tim

Tim, that is just a stunning piece of work.  I am glad you shared it with us.  You gave me a lot inspiration to get back to the bench and get on with some projects.  Let me know when you will be entering this in any contests.  I will just be coming as a spectator on those occasions.  ;)  Again, great work from a true master machinist!

Thanks Pete, I hope to see more of your Bugatti engine progress soon.......no shows this year but 2018 should be my first. 

I machined the idler pulley bracket out of brass as I want to solder the brass tubes to ensure decent rigidity when it's attached to the block.  I'm probably going to polish and then give the bracket either a chrome finish or I'll do a dychem red or blue color to mimic an anodized finish.  I really enjoy drawing these things up now & figuring out how to machine it to see if it turns out.   Cheers, Tim

DSC 0005

DSC 0008

Tim- Sometimes life gets in the way of modeling.  June was a busy month.  Two weeks on the east coast for nephews birthday, Fathers day, daughter and son in laws birthday and 40th wedding anniversary.  Then the wife decided we needed to have 20 people over for a 4th of July BBQ so the back yard needed to be refreshed.  Phew!  Glad that is done.  I went out in the shop last night and blew the dust off the machines and cleaned up a little.  I needed to replace my sensitive drilling attachment(I actually wore my old one out) and so I stopped by Sherline yesterday and picked up a new one.  Will be back making chips soon.  B)