Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone have any real insider info on Revell's "new" '70 Charger?

Monty

Another board had a quote from some bigwig at Revell saying this kit isn't based off the previous '68 and '69 Chargers, which I found curious.  I've been told it's not a Wheels of Fire (snap) kit, which is a bit of a relief, but I'm still worried that it could be another diecast-based turd.

I wasn't able to tell much from the one picture I saw from the recent model expo, so I'm hoping someone here has the details.  Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller? 

Ed Sexton said the "first" issue will be only the Fast and Furious movie car....

Len,

He told me the same thing at the Milwaukee NNL last weekend. It's an all new tool and to quote Ed "the '68 - '69 kit parts 'may' be interchangeable". He also mentioned another version of this kit would be stock. 

Thanks,

Jim

I got to talk to Ed Sexton in person yesterday at the show and I asked him if the Charger could be built stock. He said no, there are no parts to do a stock version, but as Bill mentioned, it shouldn't be too hard to swap out parts from their earlier Charger kits. 

BTW, Ed is a really nice guy and was very personable! Later on, I have to share with you (probably in another thread) some of the "wish list" items that I saw there on the table next to him. I had an interesting exchange with him on what they really could consider, and it was interesting some of the items I saw written down. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

I got to talk to Ed Sexton in person yesterday at the show and I asked him if the Charger could be built stock. He said no, there are no parts to do a stock version, but as Bill mentioned, it shouldn't be too hard to swap out parts from their earlier Charger kits. 

BTW, Ed is a really nice guy and was very personable! Later on, I have to share with you (probably in another thread) some of the "wish list" items that I saw there on the table next to him. I had an interesting exchange with him on what they really could consider, and it was interesting some of the items I saw written down. ;)

I agree with you, Ed was verybpleasant to talk to.  I was impressed that h remembered me from a recnt email exchange we had.  I would be remiss if I didnt mention I also enjoyed meeting and briefly chatting wit Mr Obsessive, also a class act and nice guy.

I agree with you, Ed was verybpleasant to talk to.  I was impressed that h remembered me from a recnt email exchange we had.  I would be remiss if I didnt mention I also enjoyed meeting and briefly chatting wit Mr Obsessive, also a class act and nice guy.

Why thank you! I met so many folks yesterday there it was a bit overwhelming at times! This was DEFINITELY bigger than last years show, and with extra goodies like Moebius and Revell showing off their latest and greatest, it was just extra icing on the cake! :)

I hear to complaints of the 'stock-only' guys. Despite the fact that Revell is probably leading off with the F&F Charger because it is not aimed at modelers, I have no doubt the "stock" kit will be coming.

As with the Starsky 'Red Tomato', the primary market for the F&F kit is going to to be the Movie Fans and Collectors. Modelers (I suspect) are secondary to the sales numbers for the F&F machine. The stock kit will come later, and most likely be aimed more squarely at "us". :)

That said, I have no doubt that another hit will be made off the tool. It seems to be a pattern with Revell lately. I can't wait to see if Revell 'extends' the S&H Torino tool. I'll bet that by 2020, we will have some other kit to build based on that tooling, however. Revell seems to be playing a sharp, solid game recently so I look forward to good things.

Ed Sexton said the "first" issue will be only the Fast and Furious movie car....

Which I take to mean as it'll be diecast-based.  Can't say what I really want to here, so I'll just say it looks like I'll be saving some money this year.

Monty. Look at the third post in this thread. Mr Sexton said "All New Tool". Not Revised Die Cast tool. I'm pretty sure he'd know the difference. I'm equally sure he would not have called it an all new tool if it was a warmed over diecast.  I could very easily been wrong, but Revell does not seem to be in the habit of shading the truth when discussing new kits.

Out of the 3 years of the original style Charger, the 70 is my least favorite. For anyone wanting to make a stock 70 Charger using parts from the 68 and 69 kits that will work with the exception of the hood. If this new tool 70 comes with a big hole in the hood, the hood from the 68 and 69 may physically fit but they are different than the 70 hood. The recessed scallops are wider on the 70 Charger than the 68/69. I cannot for the life of me see why the kit makers think the movie/TV cars are "fantastic", I avoid them as much as possible.

Out of the 3 years of the original style Charger, the 70 is my least favorite. For anyone wanting to make a stock 70 Charger using parts from the 68 and 69 kits that will work with the exception of the hood. If this new tool 70 comes with a big hole in the hood, the hood from the 68 and 69 may physically fit but they are different than the 70 hood. The recessed scallops are wider on the 70 Charger than the 68/69. I cannot for the life of me see why the kit makers think the movie/TV cars are "fantastic", I avoid them as much as possible.

TV/Movie kits usually sell well, so they are a no-brainer for the kit makers...they bring in a lot of casual/non-serious builders...

Movie cars SELL. To memorabilia people, Vin Diesel/Paul Walker fans, kids who love movie and may start modeling, people who play Forza Horizon Fast and Furious, Forza 6, etc. 

Revell needs to make $$$$. Not satisfy people on this board first. People will buy this, stick it on shelf, and never build it, glue bomb it, whatever. OK. It'll pay for the stock tool of a 46yo car that most kids could care less about, but it'll keep people happy here. 

Let's see what it is before saying it's diecast based I'm out, If curves/details wrong, I'll mutter. But give them a break. 

Rob, you bring up something interesting along the lines of what Ed and I were talking about. There was a super long list of "wants" on a table next to Ed, and he mentioned how "everyone" will say how well a particular kit should sell.

The proof's in the pudding as they say however, and the numbers tell the story. The TV/Movie stuff DOES sell well, and we can only hope that those sales numbers will be good enough to have the folks at Revell make other kits that those of us in the lunatic fringe have been longing for.

Edited by MrObsessive

Here's how I see it: 

1) If Ed Sexton says it's going to be from a new tool, then I think he knows what he's talking about. Personally, I'm hoping that it's at least derived from the '68-'69 tool, as that one was pretty good, and coming from an "all new" tool could allow the opportunity for mistakes. Also, if the parts from the "old" tool interchange with this new tool, then use the hood from the '69 Daytona for a stock build- that hood should be the same as the stock '70 hood, as on the 1:1 cars, it was a production pull-forward. Hood problem solved!

2) if it is derived from the diecast, then all is not lost- the Revell Charger diecasts were pretty good in my estimation. I think they did share some design with the glue '68 and '69's, and while some diecast kits Revell did in the past were slab-sided, the Chargers were not- they simply made the body castings REALLY thick in the areas where the curvature occurred. Built up, they look fine.

3) Judging by the box art and built model they have had on display, I think this one is not derived from the diecast. My reasoning? Look at the seats and the grille. The DC kit had a racing seat, the built sample appears to have stock '70 seats. The DC has a grille which nicely represents the stock grille with the headlight doors open- the box art build shows a stock grille with headlight doors down. I doubt they would make these changes to the Diecast tool; I think this one is being designed as a F'nF car first, with a stock version to come after based on what I see here.

4) I'm sure Revell is watching Jada Toys sell TONS of their Toretto Chargers and figuring that they can get some of that action. You can't blame them for wanting to sell kits and make money- that's what gets us our '57 Fords, after all. I'm hoping that they decide to take a look at their '70 Cuda, tool up some AAR pieces, and offer Letty's Cuda, too...