Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Belair Hardtop Pro-Touring Restomod Custom

RestoModGuy

My first Tri-Five build. This is the old Revell kit with the crummy molded chassis. I did a lot of mods to this version of a Pro-Touring restomod.

Left the body stock - Paint is Duplicolor Graphite top and tail and spear. Front is Duplicolor Gun Metal Gray with Tamiya Clear Red over that. 6-coats of Wet Clear all polished and buffed.

Lot's of BMF where chrome needed to be. Hand made custom side mirrors from tear-drop aluminum stock. PE door handles.

Completely custom made interior. I used the stock tub, molded in a 1991 C4 Vette dash, center console and door panels. Molded in rear buckets with molded console and C4 front buckets. Made my own suede color mix paint for the interior.

Chassis, I built a custom pan and installed the IRS from a C4 rear and front suspension, along with C4 exhaust and custom aluminum tips from tear-drop aluminum stock.

Wheels are stock C4 ZR1 wheel I inserted into Pegasus chrome sleeves, I think it gives it a "stock-custom appearance.

Engine is C4 ZR1 with custom made dual-horn aluminum cold air intake. hand made radiator.

I think I gave this old kit a fresh updated restomod appearance.  

IMG_5397.1.thumb.jpg.a84aedeff7addb5b613

IMG_5404.1.thumb.jpg.cb97d0e6c586e1bc05d

IMG_5398.1.thumb.jpg.1ffc41fab9a7791fb5a

IMG_5401.thumb.JPG.a6cd17eeb3ad186daae16

Before

IMG_4954.thumb.JPG.88e94bfec44545ff914f9

After

IMG_5051.thumb.JPG.6eff0fcf00d5e76b1c69a

Build pic chassis

chmock1.thumb.jpg.5653c216fab3168c919779 

Custom pan, exhaust, fuel tank and C4 IRS

IMG_5420.thumb.JPG.85cbf9c6ee4b426d2ee1a

IMG_5441.thumb.JPG.8b8aaea1d4d3b8c4d8f33

DSCN1369.thumb.JPG.c9da0e2a442dfff230ad4

DSCN1372.thumb.JPG.9e65510c4567d26ec5cea

IMG_5455.1.thumb.jpg.770c6b9bac8dc4f9c72

IMG_5409.JPG

Very cool! Wow, you did a lot of work on this one... nicely done. 

Two small suggestions... the front bumper is sagging. Can you remove it and re-glue it in place correctly? Other suggestion is strictly my opinion, but I would have gone with the graphite colored rear bumper to tie it into the graphite color rear end for a cleaner look... the way you tied in the front bumper color to the color of the front of the car.

Very cool! Wow, you did a lot of work on this one... nicely done. 

Two small suggestions... the front bumper is sagging. Can you remove it and re-glue it in place correctly? Other suggestion is strictly my opinion, but I would have gone with the graphite colored rear bumper to tie it into the graphite color rear end for a cleaner look... the way you tied in the front bumper color to the color of the front of the car.

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, after the picture was taken I noticed and did remove the front bumper and correctly aligned. I will be taking new pics this weekend. 

The rear bumper I painted the lower color to align with the lower cut down of the red along the sides below the chrome trim. The Graphite rear bumper I tried and didn't particularly like the all graphite rear. The red rear bumper added a upper-lower contrast, I prefer.

Harry, I did make custom side mirrors though! 

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, after the picture was taken I noticed and did remove the front bumper and correctly aligned. I will be taking new pics this weekend. 

The rear bumper I painted the lower color to align with the lower cut down of the red along the sides below the chrome trim. The Graphite rear bumper I tried and didn't particularly like the all graphite rear. The red rear bumper added a upper-lower contrast, I prefer.

Harry, I did make custom side mirrors though! 

Yes, I noticed! :D 

Great build. I am doing a similar custom theme but with a 50's ford & modern ford parts The Vette Mods on this are awesome. I will need to acquire that model vette kit now for some ideas of my own, care to share which kit(s) you used for the Wheels, Motor, suspension?

Nice scratch building skills, and very nice build over all.  The two tone body has two of my favorite colors on it!

I don't normally criticize builds, but I find the use of the Work Wheels logo (aftermarket Japanese wheel company) on the engine intake a little confusing on an otherwise well thought out build.  Especially since you used modified OEM C4 wheels on the chassis.