Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 30 Model A Ford Production Halted?

Daddyfink

Ran into a fellow club member up at the Hot Rod Reunion this weekend and asked me if I had any of the Revell 30 Ford kits, I said yes, he said good! I asked why.

Apparently someone in China dropped the tool for it and it is pretty damaged. He told me he was told by a local hobby shop after he tried to order some more and apparently they where trying to get some more for stock. 

So, anyone have anything on this? Shades of the Aurora train wreck?

That makes me wonder a couple of things.  If the tool is trashed, does that mean the '29 is gone forever too?    If the kits were successful enough, since Revell has already invested in the design and measurements, would it be reasonable to reinvest enough to cut a new tool?  With the main tool work all being CNC and CAM, it seems like the tool could be replaced for a lot less than the cost of designing a whole new kit.  Will this prevent any other variations of the kit from ever being released?  (Was still hoping for a sedan!)

On a bigger picture, does Revell have any course of action on this?   I would guess that Revell has no recourse in the matter.   

Not being in the know, but just the fact that there are still unused parts on the common trees tells us that there are further releases already in the works for the series. And as already stated that this series is one of the more successful releases of the past couple of years I'd be willing to bet that if there is any validity at all to the story that the powers that be already have a new tool in the works to replace the damaged one. And who knows, maybe it'll be a good thing, give them a chance to remodel or add another more correct firewall and just maybe it might push up the release of the next variation up a little bit and we'll have something else to drool over.

But then maybe, just maybe,  this is a result of the old axiom "if you don't hear a good rumour by 10:00 a.m.,  start one".

That makes me wonder a couple of things.  If the tool is trashed, does that mean the '29 is gone forever too?

Just saw on the Revell's site yesterday under "On-line store" that the '29 Roadster is listed as "Discontinued". 

My first reaction was "WTF!?! - this was just released!".  The above would be a VERY detailed explaination.

Not sure how accessable the '31 & '29 kits have been to Americans, but they've been down right difficult to aquire here in Canada.  The last two kits I bought, I had to order from California and pay a S&H premium.  Guess its only going to get worse......

Edited by Intmd8r

Let's hope that this isn't like what happened with Franklin Mint and their die cast molds. It would be a shame to lose this series altogether, but if it WAS damaged/destroyed by a disgruntled company, it would be just about the end of it if the CAD files were also destroyed, or "lost". But it might be a good reason for bringing the production back to the U.S. I don't think that any domestic company would result to any childish piracy stunts like that.

Store personnel will occasionally tell tales about something being discontinued, damaged, or otherwise not available when they haven't got any on the shelves.  They're half-hoping you'll grab something else off of the shelf and buy that instead.

One of the Hobby Lobby stores in my area still had the coupe kit when I was there last week.  The other two stores did not, but that isn't out of the ordinary because the coupe is a hot item right now.  And there's no problem getting the roadster version, which shares a ton of parts with the coupe.  Someone is probably just blowing smoke because they haven't got any to sell.

Not going to worry at all about this until Revell officially says something about it. And in today's world, sooner or later, they will have to address this rumor one way or another. Until then, It's just so internet rumormongering. 

After checking the on line store, there are several kits that I know that are still available through regular distribution outlets that are listed as discontinued through the on line outlet. You might also note that the on line store isn't a direct Revell outlet, it's also odd that the coupe isn't even listed there. Not going to run around screaming the sky is falling now that it isn't really clear what's up. Maybe someone from the know at Revell will ease into the conversation and shed a little light on the subject before people start asking ridiculous $50- $100 prices on the auction sites for what is rumoured to be a no longer available kit.

Maybe someone from the know at Revell will ease into the conversation and shed a little light on the subject before people start asking ridiculous $50- $100 prices on the auction sites for what is rumoured to be a no longer available kit.

It has already started

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/30-Ford-Model-A-Coupe-2n1-sk5-/302106538076?hash=item4656f3f05c:g:65IAAOSwpLNYAJrA

After hearing the news last week, I bought another kit. Now I have three. Actually, I probably would have bought more of them anyway, even without the rumor. One can't have too many coupes! Maybe I should get a fourth kit...

Edited by Aaron_F

After hearing the news last week, I bought another kit. Now I have three. Actually, I probably would have bought more of them anyway, even without the rumor. One can't have too many coupes! Maybe I should get a fourth kit...

I have two sealed kits left  - will sell both for a low, low askign price of $150 shipped lol

Even if there was some damage to the tooling or whatever is the reason, I remember the same situation, theories etc... when there were no '70 Cudas to be had. Then we got the Sox and Martin car (and more Cuda kits afterwards) Regardless of what the reasons are I'm sure Revell will produce more. It certainly seems like it's a profitable product for them not to produce more. Tower Hobbies is showing both A's as temporarily unavailable and not discontinued. (Tower is under the same corporate umbrella as Great plains distribution and owns Revell) that's my first go to as far as what any Revell kit status is. My LHS is also a distributor and while out of them, is confident he will have more as soon as they are available. I don't have any of these kits yet, however I will never pay some eBay seller $75 or more for the kits. Patience is a virtue grasshopper.

Edited by Phirewriter

Agreed! I find it too hard to believe that there exists only one set of these Molds anywhere for a global-multi million dollar (assuming) company like Monogram Revell.

I'm sure that they can find a way to fix/repair/replace the mold if the story is true. The vibe I get from this forum, eBay, retail outlets and other enthusiasts is the '31 and '29 kits have got to be some of their top sellers at the moment.

After doing a little checking I was informed by a reputable industry source that the tools were indeed damaged. But are already in the process of being repaired. The tooling will be repaired in a few weeks and new shipments of both kits will resume as normal. But I will be surprised if we see the new kits on the shelves before the New Year, if you have to get one for a gift search around I'm sure that someone with multiple kits would sell you one for a reasonable price, or for a coupon redeemable for a replacement kit from a local shop. After all we're all just trying to make the hobby fun for each other.

I'd be willing to let one go if I hadn't already started on the one of each I have.

Edited by horsepower

Agreed! I find it too hard to believe that there exists only one set of these Molds anywhere for a global-multi million dollar (assuming) company like Monogram Revell.

I'm sure that they can find a way to fix/repair/replace the mold if the story is true. The vibe I get from this forum, eBay, retail outlets and other enthusiasts is the '31 and '29 kits have got to be some of their top sellers at the moment.

You must not work around the tool and die industry, because it's pretty easy for me to imagine that. :rolleyes: One kit, one set of molds (not counting molds or inserts for separate versions of the same base kit). Even a fairly simple injection mold can cost a quarter million dollars to cut. Pair that up with the fact that Revell isn't a huge wealthy company and kit sales ain't what they used to be, repairing a heavily damaged mold might not be feasible, or even possible. Fortunately in this case it appears that things are under control.

Its truly happening..ebay sharks are out.I never did get the coupe which is the one I wanted.I hope if the story is true that Revell can fix the tools.it would seem to me if the damage was on purpose then the company would have to pay for it..or insurance would..I don't know...Chris 

If you like it and can afford it, best to get more then one. You just never know when you might see it again and you can avoid ebay...

I had really wanted to get several of the coupe kits and had saved up a little fund specifically for that. When my local Hobby Lobby got them in, I picked up three with the 40%-off coupons...over several weeks. They didn't disappear from the shelves as fast as I'd thought they would, so I was just lucky. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems pretty obvious both kits were big hits for Revell, and I'm sure they'll do what it takes to get them back in production ASAP. 

The CAD design files most likely exist stateside, whether the tooling is here or not. CAD files are transmitted electronically just like email, and the original documents wouldn't leave...assuming that design work was done in the US. The only possible other issue might be whether the CNC programming for cutting the tools, probably developed by whatever Chinese firm did the work, was copied to stateside.

Keeping secured control of engineering and design documents and programs a company depends on for its survival is kinda manufacturing-business 101. The professionals at Revell wouldn't rationally risk losing all of that, so it should just be a matter of time before we have the kits available again at realistic prices.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• Xingu locked this topic