Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Customizing Boat 3'n1

Casey

........much as I am a big Round2 fan and such, not sure if this was a great choice of  kit's to reissue.....at today's prices and the fact that these are quite easy to grab online, I am skeptical on this one....not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just sayin'...............the Ace.....-_-

This kit can be built three ways and has a Chris Craft engine (relatively few parts, but very detailed engraving).  As stated above, from what I recall it was available once or twice in the 1990's as part of AMT=Ertl's "Buyer's Choice" project.  I doubt it will be a great seller but it is neat to have it back.... AMT Trophy Series Chris Craft built box stock with a mix of stock/custom version parts

DSC 0061

DSC 0063

AMT Trophy Series Chris Craft built in the racing version with the kit's mongrel Y Block Lincoln (valve covers)/sort-of FE engine

Last issue back in the 90s had a gold sticker on the shrink-wrap, saying "Limited Edition/Vintage Series 5."  a/k/a "Buyer's Choice," I think.  I'm looking at one right now.  I still have 2 of those kits sealed and another opened. I've sold 2 more on eBay over the years. I remember buying 5 of them the last time around.

I was about to put another sealed Customizing Boat kit on eBay, but I think the re-issue just changed my mind. 

A quick check shows that one of these recently sold for $39.99 with 19 bids, but that was an outlier.  Other recent Completed Auctions for this kit went from about $20-$25, probably a little less than the retail price of this next re-issue.

So overall, I'd rather keep the kit than go thru all the hassle of writing a listing, taking photos, putting it on eBay, paying the eBay/PayPal fees, packing and shipping it, etc. etc. 

That's happening a lot recently, with the always-rising cost of eBay selling.  I used to sometimes remove parts I wanted from kits, then bundle them into lots and sell them with low starting bids.  But today, that "bundling" means higher shipping costs that some buyers don't want to pay. 

In most cases I'd rather just keep the whole kit and use it for a Painting Trainer or something.  Or to save space with all the boxes - yank the parts I want and store the remains in a big Ziploc bag, inside a plastic storage tub.

Edited by Mike999
error

I wanted this during The Buyer's Choice run, but could NOT find one!

And, I have Not seen any as cheap as $20.oo!!

Last time I looked...........................................

Timing is everything on eBay, as I often find out the hard way. 

I just checked "Completed Auctions" and found these.  Date is when the kit sold and the prices don't include shipping.  I found one that sold for $6.50, but it didn't have the box:

Jan-22 - AMT 3 in 1 Customizing Boat Kit with trailer model kit no. 8125 (reissue) - $18.50 Buy It Now
Feb-23 - AMT VINTAGE 1960 3 IN 1 CUSTOMIZING BOAT KIT Sealed - $17.99 Buy It Now
Feb-26 - SUPER AMT 3 in 1 CUSTOMIZING BOAT KIT, Shrink Wrapped $20.50, 8 bids
Mar-05 - AMT 3 IN 1 CUSTOMIZING BOAT KIT # 8125 LIMITED EDITION BOX OPEN PARTS SEALED  $19.99 Buy It Now

Not a bad kit. Scale looks a little off to me. I built one about two years ago, and I was happy with results. The trailer comes with fender skirts. They look cool, but are a little tight fitting. Not allowing the wheels to roll once they are on. Which is okay with me. The only other problem is the vulnerability of the steering fin thingy under the back of the boat. It's very easy to break off if not careful enough. Need to find a glue that will hold it better, so it doesn't get knocked off as easily again.

Scott

Not a bad kit. Scale looks a little off to me. I built one about two years ago, and I was happy with results. The trailer comes with fender skirts. They look cool, but are a little tight fitting. Not allowing the wheels to roll once they are on. Which is okay with me. The only other problem is the vulnerability of the steering fin thingy under the back of the boat. It's very easy to break off if not careful enough. Need to find a glue that will hold it better, so it doesn't get knocked off as easily again.

Scott

"Steering fin thingy"  LOL. Usually referred  to as a Rudder.