Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 has a few new kits coming!!!

Mr mopar

I've been at this for a while, and there are a few things Round 2 has released that I'm glad I got a second chance.   Not everyone has a basement packed with several lifetimes worth of kits.   The way some people are talking, Round 2, Revell and all those others should just shut their doors, because there's really o point in them making any more models.   Maybe they can use all that injection moulding equipment for making plastic forks, or something.

That said, those kits are going to be in the $40+ range by the time they hit the shelves here, and that much for a '70s vintage kit of a Gremlin? Sorry, not happening.

Have bought 3 or 4 new Revell kits in the last couple of years, The only Round 2 kits I can think of off the top of my head was the 25 T double kit in that time period. Now I have bought stuff from Revell of Germany, ICM, Belkits, Mobeius, Heller, Simil'R, Tamiya, Ebbro, Italeri and several of my weird card model kits. NEW KITS (for the most part) that interest me. So I'm saying Round 2 hopefully have made some profits off all the reissues, so lets see some new tooling; or at least, some major revisions on something. For example, the MPC 29 Ford truck is most of the 28 Ford tudor sedan underneath. Tool up a new tudor body. Same for the 32 Chevy cabriolet.  Heck, I'd been happy to see the Chevy back out as is.

While I am sure there is a reason why, I find it interesting that the prices of their reissues is more then a lot of the new kits from Revell.

Funny thing about that, huh? Combine that with all the "meh" comments here, and... that equals one weird marketing strategy.

I've been at this for a while, and there are a few things Round 2 has released that I'm glad I got a second chance.   Not everyone has a basement packed with several lifetimes worth of kits.   The way some people are talking, Round 2, Revell and all those others should just shut their doors, because there's really o point in them making any more models.   Maybe they can use all that injection moulding equipment for making plastic forks, or something.

That said, those kits are going to be in the $40+ range by the time they hit the shelves here, and that much for a '70s vintage kit of a Gremlin? Sorry, not happening.

$40 is sad considering all the tool front money was paid in 1975 and  it is now being produced by 5 people who get paid $5 a day to make 35 pairs of blue jeans when they are not making models. I have been there; 40 cents for an imperial quart bottle of beer. 

I sure wish it could be this! But it'll never happen................... :(

1968_American_Motors_AMX_GT.thumb.jpg.99

What a shame AMC didn't actually produce this thing. It could have been a real trend-setting crossover. With intelligently designed rear liftover height for making heavy but compact gear (like scuba) easy to get in and out of the available space, and optional roof-racks for surfboards or whatever else, I bet it would have been a strong seller in '69-early '70s to the young, active, upwardly-mobile market.

Honestly, I think it would be a strong seller today. It's got the retro vibe covered, and has a plenty long nose to engineer in 2017 crashworthiness. That handsome skin could even be built on a "modern" FWD platform.

Thanks for putting this one up again, Bill. I'd forgotten just how good that design is, and I'll certainly be putting a model of it on the future for-sure to-do list.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks Bob, I miss y'all as well, ACME's members are some of the best modelers and fine bunch of fellas. I certainly am planning on November show. Please tell everyone I said hello and that I miss the monthly Sunday meetings.

To your point, I don't mind spending the 30 bucks on a kit if it's detailed, and although I have not gotten the new BMW 2002 kit, I am certain it's worth the money even though it's a curbside. With that being said, Round 2 (at least Revell is smart enough to produce some modified re-issues: i.e. the new 66 Suburban and the upcoming 70 Charger) is obviously making some profits on re-issuing re-issues of re-issues of the same old kits.  You would think they would give us t least one new tool of a subject we have not seen, or a modified re-issue of an some of their later detailed kits (yes, the new Camaros are very well done!). 

Now for an example, if Round 2 has the tooling for the MPC 65 Dodge Coronet or any other annual that we haven't seen for years and has never been re-issued, I would be glad to pay 30 bucks instead of the high prices on eBay.   

I think their marketing strategy is reissue kits they think would boost sales and revenue, but many of us have these old regurgitated kits that are nothing new and asking crazy prices that newly tooled kits are getting, ridiculous! I get it with the new Camaro, which is a nice kit. But how many times are they going to repackage the same old stuff that many of us do not want, their plan can back fire with loads of these kits sitting in a warehouse, while that wasted cost could be allocated to at least one new tool.I just wish they would invest in new tools or at least modified tools for new versions!

Thanks Bob, I miss y'all as well, ACME's members are some of the best modelers and fine bunch of fellas. I certainly am planning on November show. Please tell everyone I said hello and that I miss the monthly Sunday meetings.

To your point, I don't mind spending the 30 bucks on a kit if it's detailed, and although I have not gotten the new BMW 2002 kit, I am certain it's worth the money even though it's a curbside. With that being said, Round 2 (at least Revell is smart enough to produce some modified re-issues: i.e. the new 66 Suburban and the upcoming 70 Charger) is obviously making some profits on re-issuing re-issues of re-issues of the same old kits.  You would think they would give us t least one new tool of a subject we have not seen, or a modified re-issue of an some of their later detailed kits (yes, the new Camaros are very well done!). 

Now for an example, if Round 2 has the tooling for the MPC 65 Dodge Coronet or any other annual that we haven't seen for years and has never been re-issued, I would be glad to pay 30 bucks instead of the high prices on eBay.   

Yawn...just a bunch of reissues of reissues..the Gremlin was already out a few years ago as a '75 and '76, '74 might have some minor differences? 

I think their marketing strategy is reissue kits they think would boost sales and revenue, but many of us have these old regurgitated kits that are nothing new and asking crazy prices that newly tooled kits are getting, ridiculous! I get it with the new Camaro, which is a nice kit. But how many times are they going to repackage the same old stuff that many of us do not want, their plan can back fire with loads of these kits sitting in a warehouse, while that wasted cost could be allocated to at least one new tool.I just wish they would invest in new tools or at least modified tools for new versions!

What a shame AMC didn't actually produce this thing. It could have been a real trend-setting crossover. With intelligently designed rear liftover height for making heavy but compact gear (like scuba) easy to get in and out of the available space, and optional roof-racks for surfboards or whatever else, I bet it would have been a strong seller in '69-early '70s to the young, active, upwardly-mobile market.

Honestly, I think it would be a strong seller today. It's got the retro vibe covered, and has a plenty long nose to engineer in 2017 crashworthiness. That handsome skin could even be built on a "modern" FWD platform.

Thanks for putting this one up again, Bill. I'd forgotten just how good that design is, and I'll certainly be putting a model of it on the future for-sure to-do list.

You may be on to something.  It's not that far off from what Ferarri did with their FF:

http://auto.ferrari.com/en_EN/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2013/07/Ferrari-FF-lateral-960x320.jpg

Why do we seemingly have to have this same circular debate every quarter?  When Revell or Round2 reissues a kit, it's not for the majority of this forum, or any of the other 5%ers out there.  It's to put the kits back on the shelves at retailers, so they can sell more of them.

Neither get any benefit from there being "a bunch of them on eBay", or "easily available at model shows".  What's more there's a fair number of you guys here who refuse to deal with eBay/Paypal or go to model shows.

Take the 1950 Chevy P/U as an example.  The last time that kit was out was 2011 in the Texaco Service Truck boxing.  Before that it was the Coca-Cola boxing in 1997, and the kit's initial release in 1994 (discounting that weird street machine version entirely).  So if you don't eBay or Model Show, how do you obtain this 6 year old release?  

Another thing to consider it the popularity of Hobby Lobby.  Whether you PERSONALLY agree with the "politics" of that chain, the fact is a lot of people live, breathe and bathe in those 40% coupons, you see them brought up here in pretty much every review thread.  That's 750+ stores of inventory.  Even if H.L. split the cases up to ONE kit per store, that's 62 1/2 cases of kits that Round2 is going to insta-sell.  That of course is ridiculously low, and it's probably a half case per store or there abouts, and now you're talking about 4,500 model kits which pretty much an entire production run - for ONE vendor.  Why wouldn't you reissue an old kit, that really is printing money at that point.  

There is something to be said for supporting your your local hobby store.  II'll deal with eBay if there's no other way, but between waiting for the mail, dodgy sellers and "shipping charges' that are three times the price of the model, I'd just as soon use my money to help keep the local stores in business.

Sorry Rob I don't know what  happened, for some reason my messenger also duplicated.

Yawn...just a bunch of reissues of reissues..the Gremlin was already out a few years ago as a '75 and '76, '74 might have some minor differences? 

Guess I'm going against the grain here or missing the point...  Round Two is not reissuing kits for the group that doesn't want them...  I think they also make tanks and ships and planes and I'm good with that - I'm not interested but there are other people that want them.

For me the reissued kits fill a hole in my model building hobby.  The new plastic is easy to work with and beats some of the issues with flexible or brittle materials that didn't take paint well.  - and most of them are molded in white.  It's much more fun to work with the current reissue.  The reissues have filled in missing parts for some of my old rebuilds.  The current reissues have the best tires and decals that these kits have ever had. Parts that we haven't seen in years have been restored to the tooling. I wouldn't change a thing they are doing.

I don't know why they don't reissue the '63 Vette roadster. And better yet, they should restore ALL the tops it ever came with--the hard top, the all-clear hard top, the panel wagon top, and the custom fastback top. Maybe the cut-down wraparound windshield and the slot car tonneau cover w/driver, too. How cool would THAT be? I'd have to buy three or four more of them.

Bob, to echo what you said, I've been going to a number of car shows since it's been warm. One thing I definitely notice are more and more '70's and '80's cars showing up. For example, I saw a very nice and clean '78 or '79 Ford Fairmont at one particular show. Now that car was as plain as all get out when it was new, and I wouldn't have thought twice about owning one. Yet, the car had a crowd around it, and they weren't all "old" folks either.

As time goes on, we're going to see those '50's and '60's cars fade away, and you'll see the likes of '70's, '80's and yes the '90's cars become collectible and in the shows. I'm sure in the early '60's, people scoffed at the idea of '55-'57 Chevy's ever being worth more than they were then. Back in those days, they were just another car. Now look at the prices for them.............although I dare say the price for them has peaked. Let's face it-------as you said, the demographics of people who remember those cars that we're familiar with will change. Time marches on, and there will come a point someday that no one will know what a '57 Chevy, or a '69 Camaro looks like, save for the 'net.

Bill,

Actually, the '55-'57 Chevy was a very popular used car all throughout the 1960s.  It's ironic that the all-new Ford outsold the '57 Chevy that year.  My Dad traded in his '57 Bel Air hardtop in 1963 and got $1200 for it, which was a lot of money for a used car.  Five years later, when he went to trade in his '63 LeSabre hardtop, the dealer only offered $500.00.  The LeSabre looked like new and the Bel Air was rusting out!   

I don't know why they don't reissue the '63 Vette roadster. And better yet, they should restore ALL the tops it ever came with--the hard top, the all-clear hard top, the panel wagon top, and the custom fastback top. Maybe the cut-down wraparound windshield and the slot car tonneau cover w/driver, too. How cool would THAT be? I'd have to buy three or four more of them.

Agreed!  And clean up the molds, as they've done on most re-issues. I pulled out a "Prestige" '63 Vette roadster recently and started fooling with it. It was issued somewhere around 1987-89.  The body is pretty clean, with just the usual flash on the tops of the front & rear fenders, and the body "dip" into the doors.  But the stock hood had some gaps at the rear and on the right (passenger) side of the hood.  Almost like a short-shot, but not quite as bad.  Also quite a bit of flash on some of the smaller parts. 

I'll probably build it out of the box. But I also started fooling with the chassis from an MPC '75 Vette.  Looks like the wheelbase is right on.  Getting it to fit under the floor pan is a bigger problem. Was even thinking of try to mate the MPC chassis with the cut-away AMT floor pan. I'd like to have the separate front and rear suspension, instead of the one-piece AMT chassis.  Think I'll probably chicken out and use the AMT.  I would like this to be simple, fun build. Not one of the hair-pullers where I end up ruining the kit.

Guess I'm going against the grain here or missing the point...  Round Two is not reissuing kits for the group that doesn't want them...  I think they also make tanks and ships and planes and I'm good with that - I'm not interested but there are other people that want them.

For me the reissued kits fill a hole in my model building hobby.  The new plastic is easy to work with and beats some of the issues with flexible or brittle materials that didn't take paint well.  - and most of them are molded in white.  It's much more fun to work with the current reissue.  The reissues have filled in missing parts for some of my old rebuilds.  The current reissues have the best tires and decals that these kits have ever had. Parts that we haven't seen in years have been restored to the tooling. I wouldn't change a thing they are doing.

No, you got the point exactly.  Some people just have3 trouble wrapping their heads around the idea that people might like something that they don't.  Maybe they just like to pretend that they speak for all of us.

Yes, there are a lot of people out there who like those old AMT kits, and since the molds are already bought and paid for, even if one of them might not sell as many as a possible new kit, it's all pure profit.   I think it's already been well established that injection moulds aren't cheap, so whatever your ibrilliant idea is for a new kit, it's going to have to sell a lot of them before you start seeing any profit.  Guess wrong, and yu are out a lot of money.  Guess wrong enough times, and you may not have a company anymore.   I can't blame the kitmakers for being cautious, and kudos to the ones who do take the plunge with new kits.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

Agreed!  And clean up the molds, as they've done on most re-issues. I pulled out a "Prestige" '63 Vette roadster recently and started fooling with it. It was issued somewhere around 1987-89.  The body is pretty clean, with just the usual flash on the tops of the front & rear fenders, and the body "dip" into the doors.  But the stock hood had some gaps at the rear and on the right (passenger) side of the hood.  Almost like a short-shot, but not quite as bad.  Also quite a bit of flash on some of the smaller parts. 

I'll probably build it out of the box. But I also started fooling with the chassis from an MPC '75 Vette.  Looks like the wheelbase is right on.  Getting it to fit under the floor pan is a bigger problem. Was even thinking of try to mate the MPC chassis with the cut-away AMT floor pan. I'd like to have the separate front and rear suspension, instead of the one-piece AMT chassis.  Think I'll probably chicken out and use the AMT.  I would like this to be simple, fun build. Not one of the hair-pullers where I end up ruining the kit.

MPC's 67 Stingray chassis will fit under that AMT body and interior like a glove. L-R Original 1964 issue, 65-67 annual with working springs, and the Streaker Vette/Night Stalker/Sting Ray issues from 1974-1988. (Just like the 64 minus the stock exhaust system.)

IMG 1660rt

What would we do if R2 went bust & didnt produce or reproduce anything ??? 

Im happy to see reissues n buy them if i want or pass them by. 57 Chevys are always cool with me, spesh the PS reissue but hey I might be a tad biased lol. As discussed many times, a wagon or 4 door would be great but thats more money than a box & decal set up.

I'll plunk my hard earned down for 2 PS 57's.

What would we do if R2 went bust & didnt produce or reproduce anything ??? 

Im happy to see reissues n buy them if i want or pass them by. 57 Chevys are always cool with me, spesh the PS reissue but hey I might be a tad biased lol. As discussed many times, a wagon or 4 door would be great but thats more money than a box & decal set up.

I'll plunk my hard earned down for 2 PS 57's.

If R2 went bust, it would have NO effect on me at all.