Model Cars Magazine Forum

Signs of getting old...... at modeling

You have to keep your model room at 65 degrees, cause you use so much light to see, you almost melt the model,   NASA can see the glow from your room,

your glasses are a half inch thick, and you have three magifing lenses to see,  you try to us your kids telescope to see them some parts,

you went to 1/16 scale cause 1/24 is to small to see any more,, or 1/18.

you fall asleep in you chair , and have model pieces glued to your chest,,    You wear depends cause to can't make it to the bathroom that quick any more..( I use a port a pot chair.).)  you accidently super glue your walker to the table,,,, Takes 5 minutes to bend over and pick up the part that fell...

you build a Camaro thinking it was the 66 mustang you dreamed about...  forget what your building, so you start another model.. 

Sorry, but most of this is my life story,  and  I'm sticking to it,,,         

Tell me your story,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(( this was not meant to be a exercise or start a fight column ,, I honor them who can,, but in my case, 5 pds of steel plates, screws, and wire holding me together, and a bottle of pills, shuffling is a honor for me,))

Edited by rel14

Hmmmmm....I must be doing something wrong. I don't seem to have any of those problems.  :huh:

I know these "getting old" threads are all in fun, but getting regular exercise (and I don't mean shuffling around the mall once a month), eating right, and watching your weight can all go a LONG way towards making you feel 40 when you're pushing 70.  B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

12 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Hmmmmm....I must be doing something wrong. I don't seem to have any of those problems.  :huh:

I know these "getting old" threads are all in fun, but getting regular exercise (and I don't mean shuffling around the mall once a month), eating right, and watching your weight can all go a LONG way towards making you feel 40 when you're pushing 70.  B)

Feeling 40 when you're pushin' 70? Ha that'll never happen.

I just turned 44, and I still fee lpretty good. Don't do anything to excess, stay active, cut negativity from your life. I find it pretty simple.

Without getting too preachy...

The active part always seems to be the hardest for people i know. It doesn't take much. Instead of sitting at a desk at lunch, go for a walk. After dinner, go do something that doesn't involve sitting. If one can't find the time to get 15 minuites of activity in their day, then I think there's a something bigger going on that needs to be addressed. Same goes for eating better. If you don't have the extra 10 minutes to prepare something healthier for yourself, it's time to re-evaluate.

:)

Does being 70 plus and spending half a day climbing up and down a 12' ladder putting up Christmas lights and cleaning leafs out of the gutters qualify ?  I have definitely slowed down in the last few years but there isn't a Toe Tag on me yet.

In my case I bike in the summer (1150 km this last summer) , I cut brush and deadfalls in our snowmobile trail network in the fall and try to snowshoe 1-2 hours three or four times a week. As far as the modelling, I use a special pair of glasses the optometrist made me for that purpose, I need to use pliers to open several of my paint jars, I seem to spend a lot of time on all fours under the table looking for something, I knock a lot of stuff over reaching for something else, I never remember from which supplier I bought stuff from but I'm having a lot of fun. I'm 66.

You buy a kit "just to have for a spare," get home a put it on the pile and discover you already have 3 "spares."

Building curbside gets more and more attractive because you hate fooling with fiddly little engine bits. 

You get way more anal about certain "factory correct" colors, details, etc.--while simultaneously quitting caring altogether about others. :lol:

You look for a magazine for reference you could swear you just read "a couple months ago," and when you find it, discover it was published in the last century:blink:

6 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I just turned 44, and I still fee lpretty good. Don't do anything to excess, stay active, cut negativity from your life. I find it pretty simple.

Without getting too preachy...

The active part always seems to be the hardest for people i know. It doesn't take much. Instead of sitting at a desk at lunch, go for a walk. After dinner, go do something that doesn't involve sitting. If one can't find the time to get 15 minuites of activity in their day, then I think there's a something bigger going on that needs to be addressed. Same goes for eating better. If you don't have the extra 10 minutes to prepare something healthier for yourself, it's time to re-evaluate.

:)

Your 44? You don't know what old is. Talk to us in another 15 years. Then maybe we can you serious on this subject. These young pups! ?

7 hours ago, Alix Bernard said:

I wear contacts so I have to wait a bit for the astigmatism straightens out so I can glue valve covers on straight!!!!

I have been wearing contacts (1 eye with astigmatism) for several decades & learned long, long ago I had to remove them to do any serious modeling details. Its the only way I get a clear up close view but now cataracts are beginning to affect my vision & I'm concerned that when it's time for surgery my modeling vision will be compromised.:unsure: Just hope I can get the projects done I most want to complete before then. (& I have have just barely started 2 of the 5-7 on that list, and I'm slow! :()

I used to bicycle quite a bit but hardly ever put in any saddle time anymore (mostly I guess I moved to a less than bike friendly  part of Ia.) I really need to get more physical again! I do go for walks occasionally, but it seems there is much to do before I become too feeble & that time seems to be approaching quicker than I...  

Some of you guys really need to push yourselves a little harder. 

Most people don't HAVE to deteriorate and become shuffling, fat, easily winded old fossils.

It's a choice.

Every time I sit on my butt for a while (anything longer than a few days) it's that much harder to get back in some kind of reasonable shape...and every time it hurts more to do it.

But you know what? I can STILL hike 15 miles in a day, and put in a full week's work on cars...usually accomplishing at least as much as men half my age.

Sure, I hurt at the end of the day, and I hurt like hell in the mornings, but it beats being an old blob living on prescription meds and whining about "I can't".

And after some coffee, a couple of aspirin, and a long hot shower, I feel pretty much as good as I ever did...most days anyway.  

And vision? Strenuous exercise increases the blood flow to everything, and my vision is ALWAYS sharper when I've been active.

Exercise also releases endorphins...naturally occurring "feel good" chemicals. Better mood, less fatigue and pain.

If you're not already completely over the hill from inactivity, you can most likely improve the quality of your life (dramatically) by working up a regular sweat.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I am 76 and enjoy relatively good health, have a few ongoing issues like knees and hips that can aggravate me now and then, but not serious enough to keep from doing pretty much whatever I want to do.  Have bi-annual physicals to make sure nothing "sneaks" up on me and so far these show me to be in "very good" physical condition.  My Medicare supplement insurance pays for the monthly fee for membership at a local gym and I go at least 3 times a week for about 45 minutes of exercise on cardiovascular machines and free weights.  I walk frequently, not a planned exercise program, but I don't hesitate to park at the far corner of parking lots or a block or two away from a store.  I could do better about my diet but at the same time I don't indulge in high calorie or high fat food.

Used to have about 12 classmates that got together once a month but in the last 5 years or so we have become a group of 4 and I don't have much hope of that lasting much longer.  I see people in my kid's generation that are so far out of shape, overweight and generally inactive that I find it hard to believe that actuarial tables indicate that "we are living longer"....... and around here it is commonplace to see some 40 year old to pop out of a vehicle parked in handicapped parking right in front of a store and stroll inside.

I still enjoy building car and truck kits very much but do find that it takes me a little longer as my attention span seems to have shortened.

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Some of you guys really need to push yourselves a little harder. 

Most people don't HAVE to deteriorate and become shuffling, fat, easily winded old fossils.

It's a choice.

Every time I sit on my butt for a while (anything longer than a few days) it's that much harder to get back in some kind of reasonable shape...and every time it hurts more to do it.

But you know what? I can STILL hike 15 miles in a day, and put in a full week's work on cars...usually accomplishing at least as much as men half my age.

Sure, I hurt at the end of the day, and I hurt like hell in the mornings, but it beats being an old blob living on prescription meds and whining about "I can't".

And after some coffee, a couple of aspirin, and a long hot shower, I feel pretty much as good as I ever did...most days anyway.  

And vision? Strenuous exercise increases the blood flow to everything, and my vision is ALWAYS sharper when I've been active.

Exercise also releases endorphins...naturally occurring "feel good" chemicals. Better mood, less fatigue and pain.

If you're not already completely over the hill from inactivity, you can most likely improve the quality of your life (dramatically) by working up a regular sweat.

I do seem to have more energy than a lot of people half my age, as they only seem to get exercise on their game controllers & the like. As for vision cateracts come with age according to my eye doc, if we're "lucky enough to live that long''.

I have to agree that exercising, aspirin, caffeine & hot showers do keep me going as well. Even at that I do become easily winded of late. I used to ride 25 mi+ 4 -5 days a week on bike (longer in the summer up to 100 in a day) but this summer 10 mi. 2 days a week seemed to be all I had time or interest in doing.  (And I used to do RAGBRAI - a week long ride across Iowa, sometimes even riding to the starting point & back home at the end).

I do put under the hood (or Chassis) time in on my '50s 1:1 cars (and what I can on my & my gf modern cars)

Being a couch potato is not on my bucket list but, bottom line - Getting old sucks! 

48 minutes ago, Ben said:

In my case, I see an old model kit I want and buy it,  just to go into one of the model rooms and see three sitting there. LOL

I did an inventory a while back and found out that I had a dozen of some of my favorite kits.   I'd go to shows and see one at a cheap price I couldn't pass up.  I just didn't realize I did that 12 times!