Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Silverado

1 minute ago, iamsuperdan said:

Just wait.

This is the Trail Boss trim level. The SIlverado will also have LS, LT, and LTZ trim levels, all of which will have chrome bumpers, grilles, and/or door handles!

Yeah, I know,  I was just saying I think the all black fits the overall truck better than the all the faux chrome , just my opinion of course.

26 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'd buy this. I'd even sell off a couple of other vehicles to do it. Put a little shorter rubber on it, I'd be a happy guy. And it looks like it wouldn't mind getting all muddy.

Image result for jeep prototype truck

You know, there is supposedly a pickup version of the new JL Wrangler, if somebody offers that NuKaiser style nose for it, you could probably do the conversion on it youself with minimal issues! You could even buy a used 4dr JK and make it a Scrambler style Jeep Truck, then that pic is probably something UAV put together, they offer a more traditional style pickup conversion for TJ and JK Wranglers.

2 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

You know, there is supposedly a pickup version of the new JL Wrangler, if somebody offers that NuKaiser style nose for it, you could probably do the conversion on it youself with minimal issues! You could even buy a used 4dr JK and make it a Scrambler style Jeep Truck, then that pic is probably something UAV put together, they offer a more traditional style pickup conversion for TJ and JK Wranglers.

2019 is suppose to be the model year and will debut in 2018 sometime.

43 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'd buy this. I'd even sell off a couple of other vehicles to do it. Put a little shorter rubber on it, I'd be a happy guy. And it looks like it wouldn't mind getting all muddy.

Image result for jeep prototype truck

My opinion of course, the wheels/tires dont really fit the overall look, maybe a lower sidewall profile tire and it would look better, so long on short of it, I agree with you.

44 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

AND made of nasty aluminum too!!!!!:D Oh the horrors!!!! Full disclosure I have a 16 F-150 and love it....but do think GM could be more original. 

How much of it is aluminum vs plastic or steel. If I were them, I'd look at a steel bed with easily replaced plastic bed sides and tailgate outter skin, ala Cameo and Sportside trucks as well as aluminum hood and plastic front fenders and maybe door skins, ala Saturn.

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

Ah, that's right, couldn't remember when that was to hit!

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

My opinion of course, the wheels/tires dont really fit the overall look, maybe a lower sidewall profile tire and it would look better, so long on short of it, I agree with you.

I'd keep the sidewall profile, but go with a shorter rim and tire that is closer to stock diameter but wider than what ever is stock, I'd probably look at a Rubicon to base it off of.

1 hour ago, Joe Handley said:

I'd keep the sidewall profile, but go with a shorter rim and tire that is closer to stock diameter but wider than what ever is stock, I'd probably look at a Rubicon to base it off of.

That could work too, maybe a little bit wider tire/wheel,  it looks way too much like a train or stagecoach wheel.

8 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

That could work too, maybe a little bit wider tire/wheel,  it looks way too much like a train or stagecoach wheel.

I think tjat's the problem, they went for the tall and skinny Army Truck  Tire look, but the extra skinny Bro-Truck wheels and tires that look more Deuce and a Half sized vs Jeep and Light Truck sized throw it off, something about the right size for a Rubicon, or next size taller and wider would look better, especially with the stock car style steelies that many Jeepers like.

2 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

I think tjat's the problem, they went for the tall and skinny Army Truck  Tire look, but the extra skinny Bro-Truck wheels and tires that look more Deuce and a Half sized vs Jeep and Light Truck sized throw it off, something about the right size for a Rubicon, or next size taller and wider would look better, especially with the stock car style steelies that many Jeepers like.

I am going to agree with this .   I do think wider with the taller would look soooo much better.

9 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

I am going to agree with this .   I do think wider with the taller would look soooo much better.

Looks like the stock size is 255/75R17 and those are about 32" or so tall, I would probably stay with a 17" rim and the stock diameter or see what is slighy taller and wider, but within reason in an A/T tire, or a touch more aggressive if I was converting a Rubicon and still planned on using it as one after the work was done

7 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

Looks like the stock size is 255/75R17 and those are about 32" or so tall, I would probably stay with a 17" rim and the stock diameter or see what is slighy taller and wider, but within reason in an A/T tire, or a touch more aggressive if I was converting a Rubicon and still planned on using it as one after the work was done

17 inch rim, yes, that would be a good size to stick with,  darn, 32" tall, wow,  I was not thinking they would be that tall.

Edited by martinfan5

9 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

The problem with trucks now (and most vehicles for that matter) is that they are overstyled. Too many crease and curves and edges. Crazy shapes on grilles and lights. Needlessly complex.

I think Lexus is the worst offender for that.

As for the wheel well gaps, this particular truck is the Trail Boss trim level, meaning it's the "offroad" edition, therefore has a factory lift. The standard GM half tons are significantly lower. In fact, the half tons from all manufacturers are quite low, with very little wheel well gap visible. The HD trucks are a different story all together.

Sorry Dan, but I still disagree.  2-wheel drive and 4-wheel drive versions of trucks have bodies that are unnecessarily too high (typically 6-8").  The only trucks that should have bodies high off of the tires are empty 1-ton, 4-wheel drive, and that is only so a heavy load will compress the HD springs to provide a correct load height.  The standard GM trucks are not significantly lower - not the Colorado, not the larger Chevy or GMC.  It's the same with the other brands  I was considering buying a Colorado, but the body is ridiculously high in all configurations.  Look at a 2-wheel drive GM truck prior to 1973 and you will see what I'm talking about.  ACE had it right about compensating for something.  It's supposed to look bad-ass and aggressive, but like I said, who wants to look at the fuel and brake lines, inner wheelhouse, and other stuff that shouldn't be seen unless you are under a truck or have it on a hoist.  

5 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

5 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

The JL Jeep Wrangler goes into production early in 2018 as a 2018 model. The JL truck goes into production in fall as a 2019, should be here in about a year. It will look more like the AEV Brute than the NuKizer concept.

https://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/brute-double-cab

43 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

The JL Jeep Wrangler goes into production early in 2018 as a 2018 model. The JL truck goes into production in fall as a 2019, should be here in about a year. It will look more like the AEV Brute than the NuKizer concept.

https://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/brute-double-cab

That's what I said, I just didnt say "truck" but I thought it was clear that is what I was talking about^_^:D

Edited by martinfan5

• 4 weeks later...

So it was a big day around here yesterday. The Detroit auto show is in full swing, and the 2019 Silverado made it's full debut yesterday. 

I like the specs, I like the tech, I'm on the fence about that front end.

I think the Trail Boss trim level works for me, but the other trim levels? Umm...

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1114795_2019-chevrolet-silverado-video-preview

2019-chevrolet-silverado.jpg

2019-chevrolet-silverado-004.jpg

2019-chevrolet-silverado-008-1515888914.jpg

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-012-1021x580.jpg

2019-chevrolet-silverado-1500_100639395_l.jpg

autocontentexp.com2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-16639c5b4c03a598b634b4c7b294cb973428be9b.jpg

6 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

So it was a big day around here yesterday. The Detroit auto show is in full swing, and the 2019 Silverado made it's full debut yesterday. 

I like the specs, I like the tech, I'm on the fence about that front end.

I think the Trail Boss trim level works for me, but the other trim levels? Umm...

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1114795_2019-chevrolet-silverado-video-preview

2019-chevrolet-silverado-1500_100639395_l.jpg

trevino-head-shake.gif

I'm kind of amazed at how both Toyota and Chevy have now both adopted the same "tech" styling that Ford was doing in 2010 and earlier. RAM still stands apart in their form language, for better or worse. 

So here's my annual sneak peek doodle of what these trucks will look like in another couple years:

2020Chevy_Jan162018small-vi.jpg