Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why doesn't anyone market a specific Carburetor color paint ?

Rust, Rubber, Jet exhaust, but no dedicated color for automotive carburetors.

When looking at builds on contest tables, here on the board, and just about anywhere you'll find a myriad of different colors representing the automotive carburetor, from a definite gold to a definite silver and chrome too, and everything in between. Now granted, carbs come in a few different colors, but for the most part we tend to go to the lightly tinted gold color representing the  typical cast zinc or aluminum material carbs are made from.

But why , with so many colors available for other things easily mixed don't we have a designated Carburetor Paint ?

carburetors.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers

Ummmmm.....maybe because just as your picture shows, there is no SPECIFIC carburetor color!! :rolleyes:

Black, pale gold, and aluminum are all colors I can easily find in my paint color selection, and even Tamiya X-32 Titanium Silver as on the catalytic converters on this is a pale gold hue. 

HPIM3123.thumb.JPG.04a7be214dbdbe2f19a8a840716ada09.JPG

I worked at Eastwood and the bronze is pretty awesome. They also make a silver for Ford carbs. However, I have found hobby paints that work better and in smaller quantities. This being said their wheel colors like Rally Wheel paint can't be beat! They have a nice Chevy and Pontiac wheel paint that is all I'll ever use!

Edited by George Bojaciuk

8 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

Tamiya Titanium Gold comes pretty close, Available in enamel and acrylic. :D

There are a variety of other metallic colours available. I really like the the Vallejo acrylic line called "Metal Color".

Tamiya Titanium Gold.jpg

Also

f3b619b89454819326bd6a2f6903af0b.image.724x579.jpg

The transaxle on the engine below was painted TS-87 airbrushed.

Dscf8752.jpg

Edited by 935k3

I think you answered your own question with the photo in the initial post. There is no standard carburetor color. The gold anodized carbs are a pretty recent thing and in the day when virtually all cars had carbs the "standard" color was just a sort of grungy, dull gray. Having said all that, there's no shortage of colors available to model whatever color of carb is correct for your particular build and era. Google images can be a great help at finding out the right color for any particular vehicle.

I think you're also marketing something towards higher-end builders, the casual Friday guys don't care what color their carbs are compared to the 1:1 factory specs, they'd probably not even dechrome them.  So you're marketing towards guys with airbrushes, and you're directly competing with Tamiya, Alclad, & Vallejo Metal Colors for a specific use product; that you would really have to have like a dozen or so carbs you needed to mass paint.  Because otherwise it would be a ridiculous waste of time to set-up and then tear down an airbrush to paint 1-3 carbs "Holly Light Gold" or whatever. (Especially when that Holly carb is pretty much out of the bottle X-31, with XF-16 base, X-12 linkages, and XF-56 butterfly)

Edited by niteowl7710

17 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I think you're also marketing something towards higher-end builders, the casual Friday guys don't care what color their carbs are compared to the 1:1 factory specs, they'd probably not even dechrome them.  So you're marketing towards guys with airbrushes, and you're directly competing with Tamiya, Alclad, & Vallejo Metal Colors for a specific use product; that you would really have to have like a dozen or so carbs you needed to mass paint.  Because otherwise it would be a ridiculous waste of time to set-up and then tear down an airbrush to paint 1-3 carbs "Holly Light Gold" or whatever. (Especially when that Holly carb is pretty much out of the bottle X-31, with XF-16 base, X-12 linkages, and XF-56 butterfly)

Holley 

3370_HolleyCarb-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'd say the reason nobody markets a specific carburetor paint is due to demand and the volume of paint that would be sold. Think of how small a 1:25 carburetor is. Now think of how many carburetors you can paint with an ounce of paint. Also factor in that once a model is built, you can barely see the carburetor(s). So the demand is so terribly low, there is little market for the product.

• 3 weeks later...