Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galaxie trailer. Has anyone biult one?

426 pack

They're pretty much what you see is what you get.  They're basically giant slabs of riveted styrene sheets with ends caps, a roof, and a chassis.  The interiors are pretty spartan and showing them with the roof off requires sanding a battalion of ejector pins - unless that sorta thing doesn't bother you.  There is no engraving on the inner side walls, but the floor is cast with a diamond plate pattern. The gooseneck has options for landing gear raised or lowered, and the smaller trailers allow for the tongue dolly wheel to be raised or stowed.  The goosenecks have an engine hoist that you can mount coming out of the side door which is designed to be functional along with the rear door.    The axles are just more or less straight beam axles (styrene) that glue onto the bottom of the floor, there's no other suspension represented.  All of the marker lights are molded in, there is no chrome plating, and the decal sheets include the DOT tape for the sides and rear along with a slew of different plates, Galaxie Limited logos, a couple of shop logos, and NOT FOR HIRE, et al.

The side door on the 21 footer is not molded in place. It's a separate part and you'll need to cut a hole for it. Not a huge deal. Actually a good idea, in case you don't want a door. I haven't built it. I'm chopping it up to make a sleeper for a custom toy hauler rig.

The advice given me from a well-meaning club mate upon my buying one, was to pay attention to the vertical sides  of the floor/chassis part. Apparently they are angled a little bit for mold release purposes. And if you just  glue the sides onto there like the instructions say, and let it set - the it can get hard to get the roof to fit right. I never got to it myself, but that's what he told me. For what it is worth..

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, I know this is an old topic but I figured I'd ask here instead of starting a new thread. I've been looking at the 38ft gooseneck trailer for a project but I need to find out how wide/high the interior of these are before I order one. So if anyone has one built and can check that I would greatly appreciate it.  

On 6/18/2019 at 7:31 PM, iamsuperdan said:

I built the 21ft trailer and have the 38ft in the stash. Can track down pics for you, or take new ones. I believe interior height is the same on both. WIll figure it out.

That would be great! I primarily need to know the width inside, especially between the wheel arches. I'm trying to see if a sprint car will fit inside and the rear tires have been just barely too wide to fit on most of my trailers.

On 2/25/2018 at 8:29 PM, 426 pack said:

I have been wanting to get a galaxie trailer for a wile but I would like to know if they are any good and what they look like on the inside. It doesn’t matter or it is the 21 foot bumper pull or the 38 foot gooseneck. 

131E8E35-8932-4C55-9AE6-EA1F28D3CCBE.png

A1DCE93C-FECE-4786-8884-10681AD04F06.png

They can be detailed as far as you wish to detail. This one is the 3 axle 5th wheel . Its a nice kit as far as trailers go. The smallest version would be great as a concession trailer or landscapers trailer

IMGP0194-vi.jpg

A lot of race cars are hauled with narrow tires on them to fit in a trailer.  I have one built.  not sure if I can get to it, but I'll try over hte weekend and see if I can get that measurement  for you.  If I don't forget.

• 1 year later...

They are nice kits, especially being a common 1:1 item, but something that you don’t see often in the hobby world. They represent a 96” wide trailer in 1/24 scale, a 100” wide trailer in 1/25. Both are realistic widths, the 100” being a more common modern trailer width.

If anyone wants other dimensions, like the OP, I’d be happy to measure it.

The downside of the kit is a large amount of injector pin marks, but they are on the inside and underneath, so they are easily covered up if you add any wall decoration. I got tired of sanding the ones on the ceiling, so I covered the ceiling with a extra-thin sheet of styrene. Problem solved. Same could be done with the walls, painted for a finished interior trailer, plywood decals for a basic one.

Otherwise, the baby moon wheels that come with them don’t look anything like trailer wheels. They should be replaced with a set of wagons, mags, or something, unless you like the moons.

The best part is you can customize the heck out of them, just like the real world.

BCS Trading makes a 3d printed cabinet set that happens to fit perfectly in the front cap. I cut mine up mainly to cover up the generator box, but that could be easily omitted.

78F27B24-21C0-4121-B659-4456EC63D874.thumb.jpeg.2496ebb65e7eec4774b0388244044c13.jpegA0932D54-1D8A-4991-B7E1-74433F29564D.thumb.jpeg.913513c18553e49ec0cd4cac54d4eea1.jpegC924BF61-9F87-46A2-9C03-77C81423118C.thumb.jpeg.8cb1901f7b09ae77a4deb76bfda3ee1e.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

After Gary Schmidt passed away the remaining inventory (trailers and Chevy kits) were sold to a few distributors. Galaxie LTD is no longer in business however the tooling was sold but until something is announced we'll have to wait to see what happens. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

After Gary Schmidt passed away the remaining inventory (trailers and Chevy kits) were sold to a few distributors. Galaxie LTD is no longer in business however the tooling was sold but until something is announced we'll have to wait to see what happens. 

I've been wondering about this myself. I guess it's stay tuned for further developments at this points.

Charlie Larkin

It is too bad that the Galaxie car and delivery sedan kits are not readily available for builders today.  I have built both car models and the delivery sedan and they are impressive models when built.  Being 82 years old I remember these vehicles being around when I was a kid (a couple of neighbors had the cars) and the kits accuracy and proportions were perfect.

IMG_1455 (1).JPG

IMG_7653.JPG

IMG_7685.JPG