Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cheap and easy "braided hose"

This technique may not be contest quality, but it will give you a cheap and easy representation of braided lines, without having to fumbl with separate hose ends and line.  I actually use kite string that I paint with Testors "chrome" for the steel braid and simply paint red and blue bands around the ends to simulate the A/N fittings.  I use a small drop of Devcon epoxy to make tees.  

Frank

69engine2.JPG

69enginefrontbest.jpg

better69engine.jpg

carbs.jpg

carbs2.jpg

19 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Check out the sewing area of the craft store....they sell chrome thread great for fuel and oil lines. 

You beat me to it. Ask for "piping." It's available in several sizes and different silvery finishes. You can buy it by the foot or yard. A yard will last a long time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Try an electronics supplier for thin screened wires. Once the outer plastic sheathing is stripped off you have the screening metal mesh exposed. Basically I would guess that it is what model suppliers of scale braided hose use and cut into short lengths and package to resell as a scale model product.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

The WalMart "craft" section has a fair choice of sizes of braided wrapping string (for lack of a better name - see picture).  Also Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and A. C. Moore has some different size braided wires in their jewelry section.  Those two spools of braid are quite small and makes excellent NOS, brake, or fuel lines

ModelingStuff001.jpg

Edited by TarheelRick

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Metaldrumm said:

You could use solder ,or really the best to use is pro tech braided line.

I agree this technique looks nothing like braided hose, and craft thread, round beads, etc. don't cut it, either. Pre-made braided line, hex fittings, etc. aren't crazy expensive. Unfortunately, quality over quantity is hard thing to learn when someone doesn't understand value. Save money, live better, right? :rolleyes:

Edited by Casey

13 hours ago, Casey said:

I agree this technique looks nothing like braided hose, and craft thread, round beads, etc. don't cut it, either. Pre-made braided line, hex fittings, etc. aren't crazy expensive. Unfortunately, quality over quantity is hard thing to learn when someone doesn't understand value. Save money, live better, right? :rolleyes:

It looks not bad to me. Not everyone wants to buy purpose-made details for their models, or wait six weeks for delivery. Don't get me wrong, it's GREAT that these suppliers exist for those who enter contests or are obsessed with realism. But to me, part of the fun is being resourceful and finding common things that are close enough to pass as real. Scale IS one thing that is very important to me, wires and hoses should be "close" to proper scale size.

Edited by NOBLNG

There are many modelers out there and we all have different standards. What passes for a braided hose for one modeler will not be satisfactory to another modeler.

I agree that the material shown in the beginning of this thread looks nothing like braided hose. It looks like hose someone wrapped in aluminum foil.  There is no braid pattern on it. That is my opinion.  In my experience the Pro-Tech braided scale hoses are the best representation of the real thing.  And I'm lucky enough to over the years  have accumulated a large range of detailing parts (not to mention a good stash of plastic kits), so when I need some item for the car I'm building I usually have it in my workshop, so no ordering and and then waiting for the item to arrive. And even if I do not have some item, I don't mind waiting few days (nowadays we no longer have to wait 4-6 weeks for mail order delivery). :)  It is not like I'm engaged in a speed-building competition.