Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 Chevy Nomad

Rusty Irons

This AMT Nomad kit was the second model car I have built. I like the older cars and I wanted to try a two tone paint job. I don't think this is a Chevy color scheme but this is how I remember a friends nomad was painted. I mixed the colors from liqutex artists acrlyics and Tamiya acrylic thinner. I used waterborne varnish for a clear coat. Along with two tone paint, I wanted to have the tailgate open and close.
 The kit had a broken hinge for the tailgate so I wanted to fix that. The tailgate hinge was a challenge, but I learned alot in the process of reworking it. I made a pair of hinges from brass wire bent to make a pair of small eye bolts to accept the plastic pins molded into the original plastic hinge.
Overall, I am happy with the outcome. I have a two color paint job and the tailgate works.
 Now back to my 67 Camaro build with a swinging door and a jukebox.

P1010023.JPG

P1010018.JPG

P1010020.JPG

P1010039.JPG

P1010041.JPG

P1010044.JPG

P1010026.JPG

P1010007.JPG

Edited by Rusty Irons

It should be a requirement, that when one posts a car with lots of chrome, that you tell us Bare Metal foil, or Molotov pen was used!  :P  I'm amazed you used water-based paints, I've been bitterly clinging to using enamels, but for some things like interior parts, am using acrylics.

Nice job!

21 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking build. I like the way you hinged the tail gate, that adds a great deal to the finished model.

Thanks David !  Working on the hinge was my favorite part of the build.

21 hours ago, cobraman said:

Love a Nomad !

Me too  Ray.  Now I want to try a 57 

Thanks David !

Thanks Joe !

Thanks Bob !

19 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

It should be a requirement, that when one posts a car with lots of chrome, that you tell us Bare Metal foil, or Molotov pen was used!  :P  I'm amazed you used water-based paints, I've been bitterly clinging to using enamels, but for some things like interior parts, am using acrylics.

Nice job!

Thanks Kurt !  I used Bare Metal Foil for most of the chrome.  I used acrylic paint because it was all I had on hand at the time. I should mention that the waterborne varnish I used is a super hard exterior grade clear coat that polishes very well after a week of curing.

Thanks Snake !

Thanks Patrick !

12 hours ago, Mahogany Rush said:

Nice job. I have one just moved to my workbench. Gonna be a modded version. Of course...lol

Thanks Max !  I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Thanks Scott !

Thanks David !