Model Cars Magazine Forum

Box Stock Accurate Miniatures Grand Sport Corvette

Hooked on Chaparral

These kits weren't the easiest to work with. The packaging was really nice the actual parts were very nice and crisp though the "top" of the frame required filling with bondo, model putty, scrap pieces of styrene whatever you could use that would fill the gapped area. Parts fit nice it was just such a well laid out kit BUT there were a "lot" of adjustments needed. I especially liked the photo etched pieces for the hood, and the Corvette logo on the right rear corner. If you look very carefully Accurate Miniatures left just enough depth in the etching to add color sharpies for a more realistic look. the tires and engine were great also I just wasn't in the mood at that time to buy another kit to cannibalize. If memory serves me there were 8 different shades ob black underneath the car that I used. Of course this is the Jim Hall /Roger Penske car;)!

Thanks for looking I hope you enjoy!                                                                                                                                                                                

019.JPG

020.JPG

021.JPG

022.JPG

023.JPG

024.JPG

025.JPG

026.JPG

027.JPG

028.JPG

030.JPG

031.JPG

033.JPG

034.JPG

Edited by Hooked on Chaparral

12 hours ago, Bainford said:

Very nice build. It's the first I've seen built in this livery, and it looks great. Those PE bits in the hood scoop vents look finicky. Did you have any problems with those?

They were a bit tricky if I recall, I would use the tip of a round toothpick to make sure they were running true until the Super Glue set up. I would assemble the section and gently run the tip between the surfaces to keep them in line. As far as stance, this kit was bad on that account. I had to do a lot of shaving and filing, sand and dry fitting. Also thanks for the compliments on the window, too many times you really cannot get a good look at the interior so that was my reasoning for that, also I was VERY lucky, I had dry brushed the gauges and placed a drop of of 5 minute epoxy over them to resemble glass, that technique works great. I have NO idea were I read that but it was certainly not my idea!