Model Cars Magazine Forum

Desirable Reissues

GerN

Put the Thomas and Stutz in a double kit box. Sell as a pair. Generally, anybody who wants one, wants the other. Put Black, Red & White pinstripes in the Stutz kit, and maybe try to add some fenders to the Thomas for "Stock-ish" look. Even just a spare set of Stutz Fenders might work, as per a Dean Milano Conversion 33-35 years ago.

• Like 2

That’s unfortunate, it’s not too bad of a kit from what I’ve heard. Good thing is if there’s enough demand then without a doubt it’ll be on shelves wearing a “Retro Deluxe” sticker. The folks at Round2 have proven themselves more than capable of bringing long-lost kits back as of late.

I like Alan’s idea of a combo kit. With how little parts there are in antique car kits, it’s nice to be able to build 2 from one box, like with AMT’s Ford Model T and Model A kits. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

The Flyer would be cool to see as well. I think MPC did a couple older cars like that in 1/32, as well as Lindberg. 

Put my vote in for a Flyer as well.  MPC did release some Airfix kits, and that included some 1/32 vintage subjects.

That's too bad about the sales on the Flyer sale sales, because it and the Stutz were some of the nicest kits ever made of pre WWI cars.  Granted, most of them were originally made back in the '50s, so it wasn't a particularly high bar.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

17 hours ago, iBorg said:

What's interesting is that thirty years ago when the Thomas Flyer was released, it was viewed as possibly AMT's worst selling kit EVER.

45 years ago..(issued in '76)..the brass era subjects probably have a very, very small following.  I kind of like them, something different from the same ol', same ol'.  I have an unbuilt Thomas Flyer, wouldn't mind having the Stutz to go with it.

Edited by Rob Hall

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

45 years ago..(issued in '76)..the brass era subjects probably have a very, very small following.  I kind of like them, something different from the same ol', same ol'.  I have an unbuilt Thomas Flyer, wouldn't mind having the Stutz to go with it.

The folks at ICM seem to think there's a market, so maybe things have changed?

47 minutes ago, blizzy63 said:

How 'bout this for a WhatEverHappenedTo:

SMP (AMT) 1911 Chevrolet from 1961-62.

Rare-1962-SMP-1-25-Scale-Model-Kit-1911.jpg

1911_Chevrolet-fvr1.jpg

That would be nice to see back, though from what I understand, the original moulds were made from aluminum, and were destroyed after the inital run, so you'd have to make a new set of moulds.  I suppose you'd have to show that the numbers would work.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

7 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

They aren't a US company, so they have a global audience they are playing to...and low volume niche subjects seems to be their thing...

Edited by Rob Hall

6 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Last I heard, US companies were still allowed to sell to the rest of the world too.

Yeah, but Round 2 is probably 90% US or more.  So they play to what the boomers want with their reissues. Which is successful for them. 

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

That would be nice to see back, though from what I understand, the original moulds were made from aluminum, and were destroyed after the inital run, so you'd have to make a new set of moulds.  I suppose you'd have to show that the numbers would work.

I offered Round2 an original unbuilt 1911 Chevy to master a new kit from. They said there wouldn't be enough interest in that subject. 

spacer.png

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

I offered Round2 an original unbuilt 1911 Chevy to master a new kit from. They said there wouldn't be enough interest in that subject. 

spacer.png

They probably could have sold at least a half dozen to people on MCM.  I’d get one. 

• Haha 1

Mike's Miniature Motors (Mike Watgen) offered a complete copy of the 1911 Chevrolet.  I believe he also offered a "rod" version (minus stock wheels) and a panel truck version also.  I traded some of my own stuff to Mike for one of the stock kits not long before he passed in 1993.  I also have a disassembled promo...first thing I ever won on eBay, when I went online in 1999.

Round 2 is probably right about the kit...not many of the 1:1 version were built, only one complete one still exists (and a partial one).

4 hours ago, Mark said:

Mike's Miniature Motors (Mike Watgen) offered a complete copy of the 1911 Chevrolet.  I believe he also offered a "rod" version (minus stock wheels) and a panel truck version also.  I traded some of my own stuff to Mike for one of the stock kits not long before he passed in 1993.  I also have a disassembled promo...first thing I ever won on eBay, when I went online in 1999.

Round 2 is probably right about the kit...not many of the 1:1 version were built, only one complete one still exists (and a partial one).

I also recall that it was Mike's Miniature Motors who did the resin rebop. 

Personally I have seen two of these.....one owned by Dennis Doty and the other by Tom Woodruff.  Tom also had (and may still have) a 1962 Chevrolet Dealer Sales contest award placque that had both the 1911 and 1962 Impala hardtop as built-up promotionals under a clear dome of sorts....I photographed Tom's version and if I am recalling correctly, included a sidebar about and photo of the unassembled kit in my 2001 book "Collecting Model Car and Truck Kits" under the MBI/Motorbooks inprint.  TIM  

Somebody on the board was casting this kit within the last 3 years or so. I remember talking to him by PM and wanting to order one.

The idea of putting both kits in one box,is, I think, the only way to justify trying to sell or run the kits, here in the third decade of the 21st century. Both cars are over 110 years old, so the appeal IS limited. But, as has been pointed out, ICM is having much success with 1913-14 Model T Fords, so there is a market.

But, If I were to be in charge, I would surely try to put some options in the box. Black, Red & White Pinstripes for the Stutz, along with Some Pre-WW1 Racing Numbers. (Pre War Fonts are very distinctive). And, some instructions on how to Build the Stutz as a Fenderless Racer. For the Thomas, It's hard to come up with options. Best I can think of, is Shiny and New at the Starting line vs Weatherbeaten and Worn in Paris at the end. Maybe, an attempt to build it as a Fenderless Racer also.  In other words, the Racer variants would be taking parts OFF the kit, rather than tooling up anything new. It would be nice to have some tread and sidewall names on the Thomas tires though. They are smooth, featureless blobs now. Simple Inner tube like donuts. Some detail would really help.

I think a "One Run of Fun" deal would be the best way to sell some, and maybe only run 1500-2000 kits, if that.

I'd give my Left #*t to work on these kits to get them ready to market.

I remember the thread from when the resin '11 Chevy was offered; I mentioned back then that the wheels weren't correct but the ones from the Stutz could fix that. When you look at photos of the real car, it's apparent that the AMT kit wasn't that great a replica anyway; besides the wheels, the radiator shape was way off:

986982772_11chevy.jpg.c68ce4b554b87971e0da60f5412fb49f.jpg

1538028943_1911-Louis-Chevrolet-51249(1).jpg.df13282c126cf000cfe1bbfeb84342e2.jpg

Of course, it was probably banged out in a hurry for a one-and-done issue, so perfection wasn't expected.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

On 11/10/2021 at 3:00 PM, Michael jones said:

Will we ever see the Revell Datsun 510 racer again? Thanks

I know it was re-issued a few years ago (Scalemates says 2014) but I missed it or rather I never saw it.  https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=revell+datsun+510*  I agree its due for another go-around.  I've got a couple old decal sets from Penngwen with alternate colors for the BRE team cars that they used for "guest" drivers.

Edited by The Junkman
  • Like 1