Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your favourite Box art

3 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

OK, my bad, it was 1/24th :P

lindberg-fordcobracoupe.JPG

This is what you get from the Lindberg 1/24 Cobra Dayton.  It is modeled on the prototype CSX 2287 with the low windshield.  Not much to it and the plastic tires need to be replaced.  This model was built when dinosaurs roomed the earth.

Cobra_Daytona_CSX2287_1.jpg.8d43d683930570b5bc570208665c6c41.jpgCobra_Daytona_CSX2287_3.jpg.51592957fed4dc6f63ad74a1ff22bb53.jpg

6 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

This is what you get from the Lindberg 1/24 Cobra Dayton.  It is modeled on the prototype CSX 2287 with the low windshield.  Not much to it and the plastic tires need to be replaced.  This model was built when dinosaurs roomed the earth.

Cobra_Daytona_CSX2287_1.jpg.8d43d683930570b5bc570208665c6c41.jpgCobra_Daytona_CSX2287_3.jpg.51592957fed4dc6f63ad74a1ff22bb53.jpg

Other than the headlights, it looks pretty good to me. But, than again. I'm no Cobra coupe expert.

Edited by unclescott58

36 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

I really liked all the Jo-Han "flat" boxes.  They really grabbed my attention as a kid.  No, I do NOT have this kit, but sure wish I did.

joh_chr.jpg

I have the Marlin and the Rambler American. Yup, cool boxes! 

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I'll have to take a look at my Lindberg Cobra (molded in bright, almost Day-glo pink) and see if it's the same. 

Your Aurora Cobra seems to be molded in the same dark metallic blue that my Aurora Mako Shark is in. I think their 1/48 F9F Panther Jet might be made of the same stuff. 

The Lindberg 1/32 Cobra is different. It has two piece main body with an upper and lower section.

I have one of the Lindbergh 1/24 Cobras as well.  It would be a good starting point for a decent kit for those that want to build a few examples and do not want to spend over $100 for the Gunze Sanyo kit and almost $200 for the HRM resin kit.

The original art for those ARII '58 Cadillacs was great.  At least for the 2 convertibles, the hardtop art was kind of blah, IMO.  For those who don't know these kits, 3 were released with different tops:  top down with boot, top up with convertible top and the hardtop, with the roof as a separate part.  These were not options.  If you wanted a top boot and an up-top, you had to buy 2 kits.

My favorite was the art for the top-up convertible.  This art really says "Los Angeles 1958."  The palm trees reaching for the sky. That split-level Futurama house, probably in a very wealthy neighborhood.  Though sharp-eyed people will notice the Caddy has blue-and-yellow California license plates, which didn't exist until 1969. 

58cad_arii.jpg

Anything Tamiya!  They do great art work for their boxes.  This is my favorite.  When I visited the factory, Mr Sano honored me by pulling the original painting(yes they are paintings)out to show me.  The original is about 3'X4' and is just stunning.  All hand done.  

935 box art.jpg

Der Guber Wagen reminded me of this Revell box art. It always made me laugh.  From 1965, I think.  The "little old ladies from Pasadena" are yelling at Ed Roth, including one in a nicely-drawn vintage Packard.  Looking around the internet just now, I saw that Monsters In Motion sells a resin copy of the Roth figure and wheels from this kit.

bossfink.jpg

Great box art, with those tanks and troops in the background.  Not such a great kit.  "1/32 Precise Scale?"  It's bigger than that, closer to something like 1/30, but I guess the boxtop couldn't say "Sloppy Scale."  It's also motorized, so it has very little chassis/interior detail.  The electric motor took up most of that space.  No figures are included.

Released in the mid-1970s.  For the long-gone "Military Modeler" magazine, someone built this back then and added a ton of detail, including an engine IIRC.  It was in a diorama, showing the Mercedes abandoned on the Eastern Front in winter, with one of the back windows knocked out and replaced by wood.

According to the Experten on armor modeling sites, this is a 1935 Mercedes of a type often used as a Berlin taxicab.  Emperor Hirohito bought one, and had the Mercedes hood ornament replaced with the royal Japanese chrysanthemum.  The Experten also say it's highly unlikely any of these were ever used as German staff cars.

These kits can bring insane prices on eBay, though a couple sold recently for fairly low prices.  If you want one cheaper, there's an even older kit of Hirohito's car released by the Japanese company Paramount. It's identical to the "Kommandeurwagen" except for the flag-posts on the front. Those are easily made. I suspect Fujimi got the Paramount molds at some point, and turned that Hirohito kit into the Kommandeurwagen.

fuji_mb.jpg

Edited by Mike999
omit

27 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Great box art, with those tanks and troops in the background.  Not such a great kit.  "1/32 Precise Scale?"  It's bigger than that, closer to something like 1/30, but I guess the boxtop couldn't say "Sloppy Scale."  It's also motorized, so it has very little chassis/interior detail.  The electric motor took up most of that space.  No figures are included.

Released in the mid-1970s.  For the long-gone "Military Modeler" magazine, someone built this back then and added a ton of detail, including an engine IIRC.  It was in a diorama, showing the Mercedes abandoned on the Eastern Front in winter, with one of the back windows knocked out and replaced by wood.

According to the Experten on armor modeling sites, this is a 1935 Mercedes of a type often used as a Berlin taxicab.  Emperor Hirohito bought one, and had the Mercedes hood ornament replaced with the royal Japanese chrysanthemum.  The Experten also say it's highly unlikely any of these were ever used as German staff cars.

These kits can bring insane prices on eBay, though a couple sold recently for fairly low prices.  If you want one cheaper, there's an even older kit of Hirohito's car released by the Japanese company Paramount. It's identical to the "Kommandeurwagen" except for the flag-posts on the front. Those are easily made. I suspect Fujimi got the Paramount molds at some point, and turned that Hirohito kit into the Kommandeurwagen.

fuji_mb.jpg

Creeping looking box art IMO. 

49 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

fuji_mb.jpg

It's actually a 770, which was Mercedes-Benz's  top of the line luxury model, so probably no a lot of them were taxicabs.  The one Hirohito had is a '35, though it was built from 1930 until 1938, when it was replaced by a more modern version, which is the one we usually see Hitler being driven around in.

Edited by Richard Bartrop