Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm going to try and re-engineer that old Scout kit.

I saw a Scout II with the roof off and though I should try that with the old AMT/ERTL kit, so I dug it out.

Well it's pretty simplified, but I can change all that!

The interior and frame are all one, that's not good.

The front and rear suspension, axle, driveshafts, each one part, again, that won't do!

So I carefully cut everything apart, now I have what appears to be a more detailed kit to work with.

IMG_3311.JPG

IMG_3317.JPG

IMG_3323.JPG

You are doing a great job working with the old Ertl Scout kit.   I didn't separate the chassis from the floor, but here's a shot showing the open areas between this unit and the body. This was first step in filling those in.

IMG 1780

I thought the kit bucket seats were large and clunky, and in my research I found a lot of them had bench seats like this:

bench seat

So I made the bench seat from two AMT 1955 Chevy pickup seats.  You only need one seat bottom, but two seat backs to create this.

IMG 1784

The engine bay is completely bare in the kit.  Here's the left side of the bay. The master cylinder on power brakes, windshield washer fluid and battery are on this side. Also note the hood latch receiver on the firewall:

image.thumb.png.b29c3736da57584e92e388fd30e3bfeb.png

And on the right side is the emissions charcoal canister (I've seen vehicles without this, I believe this was a 1973 addition), the radiator overflow and heater blower:

image.png.d8b79a518c9bfa29b11bcc87646e30f5.png

Here's a cleaner view of the heater blower and coolant overflow. Note the charcoal canister isn't on this truck. Also this photo as a good view of the unusual master cylinder:

image.thumb.png.969c99c414c64bd9f616b9a1a6ad3491.png

I hope this post is helpful.

• Like 1

Okay, well mine won't be totally correct, but I have started making some of that "stuff" to fill the engine bay, however, I'm still a long way from fitting any of it!

I chose the tires from the Chevy Big Country kit, but want to keep the wheel backs out of the Scout kit. They have plastic inner tire sidwalls as part of them!

So I shaved them down to fit the Big tires, and wrapped some styrene around them to make more of a glueing surface.

I like the wheel fronts from the Monogram Land Rover, and I got some resin Warn hubs.

Then I drilled out all the centers to fit the front hubs.

IMG_3351.JPG

IMG_3446.JPG

IMG_3413.JPG

IMG_3419.JPG

Although Dino said his won't be technically correct, I dare any one who thinks they are an expert on International Scouts out there who would know..Its supurb craftsman ship and no one would know if its not authentically correct..This Scout will be a stand out no matter what anyone thinks..The shop of Ezmerlain do fantastic work on anything they touch..Well done Dino and looking forward to seeing it complete..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This kit is like the ultimate blank canvas. It blows my mind that Ertl pulled out all the stops on their International heavy truck kits, then phoned it in for the Scout II kits. The body isn't bad other than some missing panel gaps, the missing hood peak, and the curved front edge of the hood and grille. Years ago I built one with a detailed engine bay and corrected body- one of these days I'll have to take some new photos. I've always wondered about cutting away the molded chassis to make it separate- nice to see someone do something other than wonder about it! :)

• Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 11:44 PM, Chuck Most said:

This kit is like the ultimate blank canvas. It blows my mind that Ertl pulled out all the stops on their International heavy truck kits, then phoned it in for the Scout II kits. The body isn't bad other than some missing panel gaps, the missing hood peak, and the curved front edge of the hood and grille. Years ago I built one with a detailed engine bay and corrected body- one of these days I'll have to take some new photos. I've always wondered about cutting away the molded chassis to make it separate- nice to see someone do something other than wonder about it! :)

Yeah, I was certainly disappointed when I saw the kit for the first time and realized how simplified it was!

I added styrene to make the floor pan fit closer to the body.

Then I covered the rear area with a thin sheet.

I glued evenly spaced strips on to simulate a corrugated sheet metal floor. (not correct for a Scout, but I like it)

With the other parts sitting on, it looks acceptable, for now.

IMG_3652 (Large).JPG

IMG_3654 (Large).JPG

IMG_3657 (Large).JPG

IMG_3669 (Large).JPG