Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell "Eldorado" model

Motor City

Pre Walmart there was very little in the way of internet sales or even mail order. Internet sales went up substantially in the Walmart era. Post Walmart there was a recession. I fail to see what effect losing Walmart had on Revell. I'm willing to bet that a lot of manufacturers wish for Walmart to drop sales of their product type across the board. As a manufacturer would you rather the market dictate your product range, quality, and retail price or would you rather one single retailer dictate your product range, product quality, wholesale price etc..? Yes if a Revell employee only knew of the product quantities shipped to Walmart as compared to quantities shipped to other retailers then they would "think" losing Walmart would devastate the company. But Walmart isn't an end user, therefore, the demand is still there for the product. It would be interesting to me to see a complete list of New Revell tooling(only of the type carried by Walmart) released in the 10 years prior to the Walmart era, new tooling released during the Walmart era as well as new tooling released post-Walmart. 

6 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Nope. Same result attempting to respond as with trying to send one to you.

Just did a test with another member.

He sent me a PM.

I received his & responded minutes ago, but have yet to hear back.

Feel free to email me if necessary Joe.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

49 minutes ago, Bert said:

yea the foose truck was so unwanted it was going for 100-150 on ebay as far as the caddy, what can I say,hmmm.

I've been hearing the price thing about the Foose truck for a while.

I think that we all realize that the reasoning for that is because Revell has basically stopped production at the moment and speculators are hoping that they do not resume so that they can get ridiculous prices for a kit which would then be considered rare.

Those prices have very little to do with the popularity of the kit.

It's pretty obvious that once Revell resumes production of that kit, which is highly likely if they get back on their feet, the prices will return to normal.

Prices of a lot of Revell kits have taken a jump lately, it's not just the truck.

Anybody that paid $150.00 for that kit will be taking a pretty big loss when they start selling for twenty some dollars again.

The price you pay for taking a gamble.

Steve

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I've been hearing the price thing about the Foose truck for a while.

I think that we all realize that the reasoning for that is because Revell has basically stopped production at the moment and speculators are hoping that they do not resume so that they can get ridiculous prices for a kit which would then be considered rare.

Those prices have very little to do with the popularity of the kit.

It's pretty obvious that once Revell resumes production of that kit, which is highly likely if they get back on their feet, the prices will return to normal.

Prices of a lot of Revell kits have taken a jump lately, it's not just the truck.

Anybody that paid $150.00 for that kit will be taking a pretty big loss when they start selling for twenty some dollars again.

The price you pay for taking a gamble.

Steve

I just recently paid $80 for the '30 Ford Model A Coupe. I didn't realize how awesome of a kit it was until they were impossible to buy for a regular price. I searched for 18 months and finally found a brand new sealed kit (from China of course). It was WAYYYY more than I wanted to pay for it, but this was a couple months ago before any talk of possible production starting again in the future. 

I made up for it by selling a couple other "rare" Revell kits. The '29 Ford and the Caddy Lowrider made up for it. ?

On 20.8.2018 at 5:25 PM, dino246gt said:

That old kit does have some funky proportions and no chassis, no open hood.

I lengthened the front and since the body is multi-piece, I chose to add to the fender tops above the wheel opening, but to keep that opening in tact, I lengthened the lower body at the door to fender seam.

I opened the hood and hinged it to flip forward, had to lengthen the hood as well, then added the Foose underhood stuff.

I cut away the bottom and added the Foose floor pan, so the Foose chassis fits perfectly.

IMG_0668.JPG

Thanks for sharing pictures. Fantastic work.

Curious but did you add between the door and fender also to lenghten the fender?

19 minutes ago, Againmikewins said:

I just recently paid $80 for the '30 Ford Model A Coupe. I didn't realize how awesome of a kit it was until they were impossible to buy for a regular price. I searched for 18 months and finally found a brand new sealed kit (from China of course). It was WAYYYY more than I wanted to pay for it, but this was a couple months ago before any talk of possible production starting again in the future. 

I made up for it by selling a couple other "rare" Revell kits. The '29 Ford and the Caddy Lowrider made up for it. ?

Yup, there are a couple of the '30 Ford kits listed on ebay right now for well over $200.00!

Another perfect example of people trying to get in a good "gouge" before Revell resumes production.

I really hope that nobody is falling for this scam!

Steve

58 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Yup, there are a couple of the '30 Ford kits listed on ebay right now for well over $200.00!

Another perfect example of people trying to get in a good "gouge" before Revell resumes production.

I really hope that nobody is falling for this scam!

Steve

Good thing I got my copy when they were available at retail prices..

18216551_400567113661480_381369836249864

Just now, StevenGuthmiller said:

Some real gems there Luc!

I have one of the '66 Bonnevilles & the '67 Ford.

I also have a convertible version of the '66 Plymouth.

Models that might actually be worth $200.00! ;)

Steve

Thanks, and yes indeed some of the annuals are getting way up there.

I'm one of those gripers. :D 

I have no problem shelling out mazooma for a super detailed car kit with loads o' parts a la armor kits. However, I ain't dumping 200 bucks on what amounts to an unassembled promo, no matter how rare it is. I might like to own one; but, not at that kind of price.

28 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

I'm one of those gripers. :D 

I have no problem shelling out mazooma for a super detailed car kit with loads o' parts a la armor kits. However, I ain't dumping 200 bucks on what amounts to an unassembled promo, no matter how rare it is. I might like to own one; but, not at that kind of price.

I'm the opposite.

I have no problem plunking down a fair amount of cash for a rare old kit if it is subject matter that I am interested in & something that is not available in a newer kit & probably never will be.

For example, I'm not spending $150.00 on a vintage AMT '60 Ford Starliner because I can get the new one for $20.00.

But I will, and have paid good money for a Johan '65 Chrysler 300 because if you want one, it's the only opportunity to build one, and chances are extremely high that there will never be another.

I too will spend a "fair price" for a new kit if the kit warrants it, but to spend $100.00 to $200.00 on a kit that has just been released like the Foose '56 Ford is just pure foolishness!

The amount of detail, or the parts count is of little interest to me.

It's all about subject matter.

You can always add as much detail as you would like.

Steve

42 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I'm the opposite.

I have no problem plunking down a fair amount of cash for a rare old kit if it is subject matter that I am interested in & something that is not available in a newer kit & probably never will be.

For example, I'm not spending $150.00 on a vintage AMT '60 Ford Starliner because I can get the new one for $20.00.

But I will, and have paid good money for a Johan '65 Chrysler 300 because if you want one, it's the only opportunity to build one, and chances are extremely high that there will never be another.

I too will spend a "fair price" for a new kit if the kit warrants it, but to spend $100.00 to $200.00 on a kit that has just been released like the Foose '56 Ford is just pure foolishness!

The amount of detail, or the parts count is of little interest to me.

It's all about subject matter.

You can always add as much detail as you would like.

Steve

My thinking exactly. 

18 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Good thing I got my copy when they were available at retail prices..

Buy it when you see it because it might not be there tomorrow is my motto.  Unfortunately I didn't get a Foose FD-100 when I had the chance and I'm not paying $70 on eBay.  Heck, I don't pay retail anyway ^_^