Model Cars Magazine Forum

All Japan Model & Hobby Show 2018

niteowl7710

The people who constantly rip on Chad in the Round2 videos have rubbed off on me, because I really don't care for this young kid they brought on board at all.  He appeared back in May during the Shizouka Show Coverage video, and he hasn't gotten any better in terms of knowledge or camera presence since then.  I frankly enjoyed Brian and Scott goofing around at the shows trying to cover stuff that wasn't in their comfort area, Brian is Armor, and Scott is Aircraft - then usually they'd split up the car stuff.  They seem to have brought the kid in to do the car stuff, but as seen in this video he doesn't have an idea what he's talking about - in his short screen time in the Aoshima booth he both made a bad joke & mispronunciation of Huracan (not Hurricane), and doesn't know which Liberty Walk GT-R kit is the new one.  Then proceeded to basically tell all their customers the 1/32 line is full of boring uninteresting Japanese cars. :huh::rolleyes:

I mean lets face it everyone here has known about these kits for months because Jonathan, I and others feed the forum this information, so the HLJ crew should be equally (if not better informed since at least Brian and Scott can both read and speak Japanese) but the new guy manages to make me unexcited about anything he talks about...

Edited by niteowl7710

On 10/2/2018 at 8:47 PM, Roncla said:

That Audi has Buy Me written all over it.  HLJ have put a video up covering the show.

I just blew through this, didn't see any mention of that tractor?  I'm not much into imports but it looks like the hobby is alive and well!

On 9/29/2018 at 10:38 AM, The Creative Explorer said:

This should be the glue version, the 356 coupe that is due in september/oktober is a snap-kit.

From the first look on the part-count; I can't say I am very excited, it seems quite simplefied.

I took a closer look at that photo as I was putting together my recap video and it occurs to me that not all of the parts runners are there. For example there are no doors, nor the interior door panels. Looks like it's just an assortment of example pieces rather than the entire kit.

Couple more things to throw in this thread before I dispatch these photos to the circular file and wait on the actual models to arrive.  This stuff all from the Hasegawa booth.

The parts layout map for the R-91CP

10556862b7.jpg.3b3065e6240f5e9e0cce4df1514f619a.jpg

The earlier Irmsher Turbo Gemini

10556871b4.jpg.8ecd828f08e120d90d515fdd517de4fa.jpg10556871b5.jpg.18536bc3fc825de5071b71d8c7dc4e08.jpg

The next street R31 - this the NiSMO 30th Anniversary Skyline GTS

10556877b5.jpg.60998c78f82802d8023cc07125f32e96.jpg

The new parts map for the '72 Monte Carlo Rally 240Z, significant for it's LHD components which are new to the kit platform.

10556869b3.jpg.39ce01794c5886a616c53d5e7d21336f.jpg

Built Production examples of the Ricoh Skyline GTS-R JTCC car, and Mitsubishi Colt Galant 2000 GSR

10556831b2.jpg.923dbf23f0e810d4ac740da8d6cf61fc.jpg10556846a.jpg.d3642b7ab091efe6176fdb34e5a18394.jpg10556846a2.jpg.4da0f6a5dd900d411085f68f740209a2.jpg

A wide spectrum parts board shot that shows the two above kits in a little more detail in terms of new parts.  It does appear the Ricoh car is going to require a two-tone paint job.

42803589_2190503754567737_5821580624992927744_o.jpg.531f0cce16e8786ad55fa4d15b38b082.jpg

Lastly the built production shots of the Lowrider "C" and Lowrider "T" 

10556867a.jpg.a3556c7a836afa1bbcf2b6e1b851b71d.jpg10556868a.jpg.8ebc803b535068d37962ce29e35981e2.jpg

Aaaaaand that wraps up another All-Japan Model & Hobby Show.  The next big show in Japan is Shizouka in May 2019, although there are a few smaller trade shows in Japan and Southeast Asia in the meantime that might feed out new kit announcements from Aoshima, Hasegawa & Fujimi for the 1Q and early 2Q of 2019.  In general the next big things to look forward to will be the annual (presuming the new management continues the tradition) New Years Day announcement of the Revell kits for 2019.  Should be interesting to see how they handle the Revell U.S. side announcements going forward in 2019.  Then of course it will be time for the Nuremburg Toy Faire (January 30th-February 3rd).

The first of the All-Japan stuff will start in a few days when the Ricoh JTCC Skyline is released and Beemax/NuNu Hobby stuff aside all of it is supposed to be released before the end of the year.

1 hour ago, Don Sikora II said:

Interesting that the Hasegawa R91 CP has separate nose and tail sections. From memory, the much earlier Hasegawa Group C kits had one-piece shells. Looks like more suspension detail than the old kits too. 

I suspect Hasegawa has learned something from the past 25 years since their original Group C kits were introduced.  Tooling the nose and rear sections separately give them a great deal more flexibility to make different season and race variations without either great expense of an entire body shell and/or just chucking it out there as is with new decals.  Several of their reissued Gr. C kits have been clunkers to the more serious hobbyist who realized that they aren't anywhere near accurate for the subject matter they represent - since reference material of the cars is so much more readily available.  They also got a lot of heat last month when they reissued their TWR Jaguar XJS Gr. A Touring car with 1982 decals but with the 1984 season wheels.  Studio27 had already made the livery months ago, and not including the correct BBS wheels just made it a head scratcher of a purchase considering you still need to go out and source wheels.

On 7-10-2018 at 5:38 PM, niteowl7710 said:

I took a closer look at that photo as I was putting together my recap video and it occurs to me that not all of the parts runners are there. For example there are no doors, nor the interior door panels. Looks like it's just an assortment of example pieces rather than the entire kit.

I was looking focussed on the engine, from pictures I've seen of the snap-version, the snap has a almost-all-parts molded in 1 engine. But when I look at the engine of this glue-kit, it also seems quite simplified.
But we'll wait and see when it is due and on our desks :-) I will get them both anyway.

9 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

I didnt get my pre order in time for the Ford GT at HLJ, I gots the sad face.

Bummer... speaking of HLJ and preorders, it will be interesting to see what kits meet their scheduled release month and what ones don't ...I have 20 pre-orders w/ HLJ through the end of the year, and several are Aug or Sept items that slipped...

Edited by Rob Hall

26 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Bummer... speaking of HLJ and preorders, it will be interesting to see what kits meet their scheduled release month and what ones don't ...I have 20 pre-orders w/ HLJ through the end of the year, and several are Aug or Sept items that slipped...

Ive lost count as to all the open orders I have, but what is funny is now that HLJ is using their new site, they are sending out "Open Order" reminder emails,  not sure what they want us to do, its not like we can get the kits released any faster :lol:.  

I have feeling as this happens it seems like every year, a majority of the new kits that get announced during Q1/Q3 get pushed back and then released all within days of each other, causing our wallets to crash :lol::lol:

Edited by martinfan5

3 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

Ive lost count as to all the open orders I have, but what is funny is now that HLJ is using their new site, they are sending out "Open Order" reminder emails,  not sure what they want us to do, its not like we can get the kits released any faster :lol:.  

I have feeling as this happens it seems like every year, a majority of the new kits that get announced during Q1/Q3 get pushed back and then released all within days of each other, causing our wallets to crash :lol::lol:

Yeah, overall I like the new site, but I don't like how the Private Warehouse and Open Orders all seem to run together and how you can't see the release month of items in the Open Orders view.  I've found I have to search on the individual item to see it's release month.  The old site was more convenient to see a list of Open Orders (pre-orders) and their project release months.

6 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Yeah, overall I like the new site, but I don't like how the Private Warehouse and Open Orders all seem to run together and how you can't see the release month of items in the Open Orders view.  I've found I have to search on the individual item to see it's release month.  The old site was more convenient to see a list of Open Orders (pre-orders) and their project release months.

I completely agree with you Rob, I liked being able to to scroll down thru the open orders and see what months the kits were "scheduled" to be release.

I do like the addition of the wish list, that will come in handy , I use as sort of like bookmarks for items that I am interested in getting at a later date.

Edited by martinfan5

2 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

I completely agree with you Rob, I liked being able to to scroll down thru the open orders and see what months the kits were "scheduled" to be release.

I do like the addition of the wish list, that will come in handy , I use as sort of like bookmarks for items that I am interested in getting at a later date.

Of course, I can also always check the scheduled month on my release spreadsheet (I maintain a spreadsheet of new releases I'm interested in and enter the date and source from which I pre-order them) or on other vendor sites like Hobby Search. 

• 5 weeks later...

I guess I'll toss this in here, since creating a new thread seems silly, and it was featured at the show. This will be the next modified reissue from Beemax based on the TA64 Celina Rally kit. Decemberish release.

10574740b4.jpg.d799e6dae8f69f09ccfa9f2136265435.jpg

Aside from the two new livery schemes, this kit also has newly tooled wheels for the '84 Oman Rally version. This is basically a combination of the two previous TA64 kits with the body from the tarmac rally kit with the suspension from the gravel kit. I had planned to pull two kits together specifically to make the Oman version, but bless those folks in Macau they did it for me at effectively half the cost.

I already have Tabu aftermarket Oman markings, but I'm wondering how Beemax will handle the Tobacco liveries they chose to do here. The Haspengouw livery is Belga (Belgium cigarette brand) and the Oman is Marlboro. Pretty sure Studio27 did the Belga set, so the wording exists out there if nothing else. Because the P/E set they're calling out is the older Portugal Rally set which wouldn't have the tobacco liveries concealed within...

Edited by niteowl7710

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

The Haspengouw livery is Belga (Belgium cigarette brand) and the Oman is Marlboro. Pretty sure Studio27 did the Belga set, so the wording exists out there if nothing else. Because the P/E set they're calling out is the older Portugal Rally set which wouldn't have the tobacco liveries concealed within...

Belga was indeed a Belgian cigarette brand, both my parents used to smoke it, and I wonder what the legislation says about  defunct brands, it's not like you can be lured into smoking, many youngsters will have to google it to find out what the brand name was all about...