Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '59 El Camino-Now Under Glass-11/21

mustang1989

This one came out of nowhere but I'll be working on this one for a friend of my son. His name is Jonathan and he received this for a birthday gift a few months ago. He's been over to our house a time or two and has seen the stuff that I build and seemed interested. He's asked me kindly to build this one for him so while the Willy's is in and out of the paint booth and being polished here and there I'll have this to work on.

Here's the kit:

• 0250ff23a5a99ef55ba96ad2d2fa736b.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

Cool kit, cool car, cool options within. This kit looks great no matter how you choose to build it! Can you tell it's one of my all-time favorites? Have fun, and get as much input and "help" ( color choices, style, etc.) from Jonathan as you can; let him feel like this is HIS project, and you will create a modeler!

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:53 PM, espo said:

What sort of style was young Jonathan wanting ?  Sounds like a cool idea for your son's friend. 

Thanks Dave. He was sort of leaving that up to me but I'm trying to include him in on the options. Like me, he didn't like the kit wheels or tires but I had alternatives for both that he liked. Same for the powerplant.

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:02 PM, bisc63 said:

Cool kit, cool car, cool options within. This kit looks great no matter how you choose to build it! Can you tell it's one of my all-time favorites? Have fun, and get as much input and "help" ( color choices, style, etc.) from Jonathan as you can; let him feel like this is HIS project, and you will create a modeler!

I've done everything but color which I need to ask him about. And yes I can tell it's your favorite kit! Got any of your build photos on this one?

After discussing with Jonathan about the wheels and tires we both decided that it would be better off with something of a different style.  I found a spare set of tires from a Revell T/A Challenger kit and a spare set of Rallye wheels from a Camaro kit that I had in stock  to help out here:

Yeah...…………..that's more like it.

So what sort of engine are you two thinking of ? I can see not using the Cadillac, never did figure out what AMT had in mind on that one. The 348 engine would be a great nostalgia type engine. Or maybe a Big Block or even an LS engine.  

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:53 AM, afx said:

Always been a fan of the '59 - looking forward to the build Joe.

Thanks JC. Hope I don't disappoint. :D

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:27 PM, espo said:

So what sort of engine are you two thinking of ? I can see not using the Cadillac, never did figure out what AMT had in mind on that one. The 348 engine would be a great nostalgia type engine. Or maybe a Big Block or even an LS engine.  

Definitely not the Caddy engine and I really don't like the look of the kit supplied 348. Just seems like a basic no frills engine that's supplied. I've got a 350 SBC out of a 73 Camaro that I'm gonna go with.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:31 PM, ratdoggy said:

Just picked up one last month...Back when I was a kid it was one of the first I did. 

Painted it with Q-Tip.. I had no clue obviously..I think when I do build it it will be nicer than the last

I remember those days. Looking forward to your go at the kit.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 6:56 PM, KWT said:

Oh yeah... Joe's building an Elky. Can't wait to see this one progress.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Jeremy.

I talked with Jonathan about this build and he wanted something different that the Rallye wheel and tire configuration that I was going with and asked if I could put white walls on it with some baby moon wheels. Initially he wanted to paint the car white. After explaining to him that I could paint it white but that the chrome would stand out more if I painted it a more contrasting color such as blue or maroon, he decided to go with maroon.

This is a good thing because after doing a little research on the internet I found this photo from Cal Car Cover. I showed the photo to him and he fell in love with it. So ............we'll be going with this theme.

-fKCBk3dcYJU.JPG

-SskXNa5Ua14.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:00 AM, espo said:

That is a beautiful looking prototype. I really like that look. The 350 engine idea would give you wider possibilities for the induction system. Most of these were 283's back in the day anyway. 

Thanks Dave. Still bouncing around with this one....

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:11 AM, ewetwo said:

What a nice thing to do Joe. 

I couldn't say no. He's a good kid.

15 minutes ago, gearhedjon said:

I have a Revell 59/60 348 engine. It is quite detailed. Comes with 3 carbs as well power streering

Man.........you're really tempting me with that offer.....PM sent.

Reminds me of a 1:1 car my dad restored for a customer around 30 years ago. I don't have pics handy but the one you showed was basically the car dad restored. That particular car was off because it was a stock Blue Flame 6 that the owner didn't want to change. I'll post some pics if you're interested. I'm definitely on board for the nostalgia.  This will be excellent just like your other builds.

Edited by wrecker388

56 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

Do you need a set of deep dish chrome wheels with dog dish hubcaps like the photo. Send me a PM and I will get them in the mail to you.

Thanks a TON Gary!! PM sent....

52 minutes ago, wrecker388 said:

Reminds me of a 1:1 car my dad restored for a customer around 30 years ago. I don't have pics handy but the one you showed was basically the car dad restored. That particular car was off because it was a stock Blue Flame 6 that the owner didn't want to change. I'll post some pics if you're interested. I'm definitely on board for the nostalgia.  This will be excellent just like your other builds.

Thanks for coming on board Riley and thanks for the vote of confidence. Heck yeah I'd like to see those pictures!

The old scanned in picture has to be from around 1988 or 1989, 10 years before I was born. The modern day pictures are from 2012 at a local car show. Sorry that they are such strange views, I was too young and stupid to use a camera lol. The car was completely untouched from the day my dad last touched it. Dad recognized it almost immediately. The color is regularly for a Chevy Beretta, and is the same as is on my mom's 65 GTO.

IMG_5031.JPG

IMG_5032.JPG

IMG_5033.JPG

IMG_5034.JPG

IMG_5035.JPG

IMG_5036.JPG

IMG_5082.JPG

41708219_2178690675497343_310492067820208128_n.jpg