Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1968 Chevelle

Exotics_Builder

A couple thoughts...

1.  I’m EXCITED about this kit... I have been lamenting the lack of a good Chevelle kit of this era.  The AMT 69 is awful and the old Monogram 70 is mostly unavailable, 1/24 scale and simplistic as those old kits were.  I’d LOVE if they could use some of this tooling to someday give us a good 71-72 SS 454, but this is a fantastic start!  I’m already thinking about colors/plan for my first one. 

2.  Does it say on the FB preview or the preorder how many pieces this is?  The body and interior look fantastic, but the engine compartment seems sparse.  The special edition kits are high piece count, so I was wondering.

3.  If they don’t make that version, some styrene could be used to make a post coupe.  I see either a 2nd of these or the 69 when it comes out being kit-bashed with a COPO Camaro kit... use the 427 and the dog dish caps on the Chevelle.

1 hour ago, MrObsessive said:

Aaaah!  A separate frame! Excellent, and trying to paint frame rails is one of my pet peeves when it comes to chassis detailing! Makes things so much easier...........

That wouldn't be too hard if that never comes about to convert the hardtop into a coupe. They shared the same roofline, so one would only need to add the vent windows, and proper plastic stock for the window frames and posts.

The exterior stuff would be easy ; it's the 300's upholstery that *may* present a *problem* . 

1 hour ago, Kmb0319 said:

A couple thoughts...

2.  Does it say on the FB preview or the preorder how many pieces this is?  The body and interior look fantastic, but the engine compartment seems sparse.  The special edition kits are high piece count, so I was wondering.

As has been discussed elsewhere before there's nothing special about the Special Edition kits, it's just one of Revell's many marketing "segments" that allows retailers to order mixed case assortments of kits.  They have no higher or lower parts count than any other new tool offering.

4 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Eh - maybe. Seems like the folks at Revell are all too happy to do a better job and tell AMT/Round2 to suck it!

Yeah, 58 Impala, 69 Nova, 66 Impala instantly come to mind.

even thou they did 3 different tools of a 70 Cuda. I didn't mind the first 70 AAR. It's not perfect but I liked it. The newest tool I really like. The other one that I didn't understand was why two different tools of a 70 TA Challenger? 

This 68 kit I like what I see so far and will get one even though I built a resin 68 convertible and have another 68 conversion kit for the AMT.

6 hours ago, Sport Suburban said:

even thou they did 3 different tools of a 70 Cuda. I didn't mind the first 70 AAR. It's not perfect but I liked it. The newest tool I really like. The other one that I didn't understand was why two different tools of a 70 TA Challenger? 

The one '70 Challenger is the 1980s 1/24 Monogram kit, the newer one is 1/25, and as I recall is plastic run through a diecast tool.

15 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I wouldn't count on that either.

How do you interpret the below comment?:

On 9/12/2018 at 11:09 AM, Casey said:

Robert Glucksman This is a Brand new tool of the 68, then 69 Chevelle 

Why mention a '69 if that wasn't in the plans from the start, which would follow the M.O. for Revell's previous new releases? Granted there's no guarantee there will be a '69 given what Revell has gone through over the last year, but if the '68 kit is due within the next few months, I feel pretty confident a '69 Chevelle SS will be announced before the end of 2019.

Edited by Casey

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

Why mention a '69 if that wasn't in the plans from the start, which would follow the M.O. for Revell's previous new releases? Granted there's no guarantee there will be a '69 given what Revell has gone through over the last year, but if the '68 kit is due within the next few months, I feel pretty confident a '69 Chevelle SS will be announced before the end of 2019.

The tooling for all the versions would have been cut by pre-bankruptcy Hobbico Revell given it was in test shot phase before the wheels came off.

It would be somewhat silly to not run what is basically a free new tool mold considering if they sell out a run of the '68 if would effectively pay for the entire cost of the U.S. tooling & company trademarks/licensing. 

We are getting an all new, brand new kit from a company most had given up for dead 6 months ago and the best we can do is start guessing which part of it is going to be inaccurate? Jump to conclusions on what the next version of it will be?

People! Let's be grateful we have this new kit which, at first glance, appears to be fairly accurate. Secondly, history has taught us that most new tools from Revell in the last 20 years will yield several versions and we need to let them play out. Who knows, maybe a 68 Malibu wagon is on the horizon!

I am just glad to see new tooling coming forward, it gives me hope that we are being listened to and some of our wishful thinking is turning into reality.

3 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

The tooling for all the versions would have been cut by pre-bankruptcy Hobbico Revell given it was in test shot phase before the wheels came off.

It would be somewhat silly to not run what is basically a free new tool mold considering if they sell out a run of the '68 if would effectively pay for the entire cost of the U.S. tooling & company trademarks/licensing. 

Yup, what he said! This should help pave the way for more kits.

34 minutes ago, Casey said:

How do you interpret the below comment?:

I hope you're right.

But I don't take anything for granted anymore.

Personally, I refuse to get all wound up about any future plans until the kit hits the shelves.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this sort of thing has happened before.

Things are presumed to be concrete, & then they never come to fruition.

We should probably focus on one thing at a time.

Let's see what happens with the '68 before we leap to the next conclusion.

Steve

It would also be nice if Revell would make a 68 and 69 Impala.Those would be a great addition to their Impala line as the Produce 58,59,60,62,63,64,65,&66's  We really need to fill the gap here ! As AMT makes the 62,63,64,67 and the impala, while Lindberg (now AMT) produced the 1961 Impala's

2 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

We are getting an all new, brand new kit from a company most had given up for dead 6 months ago and the best we can do is start guessing which part of it is going to be inaccurate? Jump to conclusions on what the next version of it will be?

People! Let's be grateful we have this new kit which, at first glance, appears to be fairly accurate. Secondly, history has taught us that most new tools from Revell in the last 20 years will yield several versions and we need to let them play out. Who knows, maybe a 68 Malibu wagon is on the horizon!

I am just glad to see new tooling coming forward, it gives me hope that we are being listened to and some of our wishful thinking is turning into reality.

Well said. You just have to remember that some people are going to complain even if they were getting hung with a new rope as my mother used to say. 

45 minutes ago, ranma said:

It would also be nice if Revell would make a 68 and 69 Impala.

This is one of those examples of a "logical next step" that never materialized when AMT produced the '67 Impala.

Another reason why I will not get overly excited about a '69 Chevelle.

Not that I'm all that excited about a new '69 anyway.

The AMT kit is good enough for me.

Steve

Well word 'round the campfire is, easy conversion to a '69 was a design factor - independent of what Casey quoted above.  The parts count is listed at 126 - which I believe, although looking at the boxcover car, I do get the impression of maybe around 105-110 parts in that version with perhaps the balance going to another.

Bit more than a boxcover mock-up at a trade show going on here if you're paying attention. I think the odds of a '69 follow-up are better than fair.

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

This is one of those examples of a "logical next step" that never materialized when AMT produced the '67 Impala.

Well, sticking with Revell for a minute, their recent history has shown that when they develop a new tool, there is usually another variant planned from the beginning-- '69 Novas, '50 Olds, '72 Cutlass, '83 Olds Cutlass, '90 Mustang LX The Kit Which Shall Not Be Named, etc. --- so I wouldn't have expected them to do a one-eighty and only release a '68 this time around. Factor in a '69 was specifically mentioned without any prompting, and while everything is speculation until it appears to our eyes, I feel rather confident a '69 variant is forthcoming...and I have zero interest in any '68-'69 Chevy A-bodies. 

15 minutes ago, Casey said:

Well, sticking with Revell for a minute, their recent history has shown that when they develop a new tool, there is usually another variant planned from the beginning-- '69 Novas, '50 Olds, '72 Cutlass, '83 Olds Cutlass, '90 Mustang LX The Kit Which Shall Not Be Named, etc. --- so I wouldn't have expected them to do a one-eighty and only release a '68 this time around. Factor in a '69 was specifically mentioned without any prompting, and while everything is speculation until it appears to our eyes, I feel rather confident a '69 variant is forthcoming...and I have zero interest in any '68-'69 Chevy A-bodies. 

I would expect three or more considering they're carrying around all that Yenko and Baldwin-Motion licensing still.  '68, '69, Yenko, BM, and something that can feature a drag racing version ala the '69 Nova with the SBC

6 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Mike , BEAUTIFULLY SAID!!!!! I see the armchair engineers here with little time on their hands and sweaty fingers ready to apply hate in the model boards haven't stopped since I began focusing on my Facebook account the last couple of years . While they toil at pulling their calipers over a millimeter of plastic , I'm out measuring 90 year old service stations in hopes of getting a decent slot in an Art museum

• Xingu locked this topic