Model Cars Magazine Forum

58 Chevy.... with Audi Power ! !

Lowlife ! !

Hi guys...    :D

Been a bit quiet on the model car front lately round here, but ive finally hit on a project thats got me hooked again !

Had this 58 ready for a Lowrider build, but it rapidly veered off course and is now Audi powered !

First i was playing around with wheels, and tried Audi rims and tyres.......

42136002260_c14b125bff_b.jpg

Liked this, so the  Audi R8 chassis was stretched and narrowed, and each suspension component altered to narrow and lower it further. There is a bit of camber added too to help fit it all in......

30375598388_0e24691663_b.jpg

The Audi mid mounted 32 valve V8 is a squeeze but does fit ! !  Might be adding twin turbos in the boot too !

43131136235_0896cd792b_b.jpg

More soon,  and thanks for looking..........:)

Edited by Lowlife ! !

Well at least Jim likes it,  thankyou !

The 58 kit has a seperate interior floor to the chassis floor, so i altered this to fit the Audi chassis pan ...

42282850830_60cccb7f32_b.jpg

The boot floor was then seperated, and i slightly channelled the interior panels to fit level with the body again, as the it sat too low..

43711336365_ace8d95a2a_b.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !

Once the boot floor was added again, it left room for a big diffuser...

30079837897_9256389e08_b.jpg

And here it is mocked up with side skirts, im undecided about these. 

44105000175_1d4066705b_b.jpg

45016044961_bdea45ac1a_b.jpg

Still waiting for more tubes to continue the cage work, but this is now up to date !

Thanks for looking....more soon !

Pretty cool. Odds are you'll never see another mid-engined Audi-powered '58 Chebby. Most excellent. :D

Something I've always thought would be great fun in 1:1 is to do all-carbon monocoque or tube-frame lookalike land yachts that weighed very little and went like real road-racers. 

You're on the same page here.  B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks for your comments guys, 

The original plan in my head was to keep the outside of the car totally standard, two tone paint with all the chrome intact 

So thanks Russel,  I like the idea of adding air scoops ( it was also suggested changing the rear roof scoop as the engine is below it !  )   But I'm still thinking of keeping it standard.  Don't think the side skirts will stay either...

Although things might change, I'll get the rest finished , and leave the body until last  !

Nice work Martin. Good to see you're still thinking outside the box.! I love this type of 'off the wall' build. I always fancied building a 50's or 60's bodied car with an exotic mid-engine. I may still do one, one day.

Are you hoping to have the engine visible through the rear screen? Will the boot lid still open? it might be a cool way of showing off a custom exhaust!

This is tight, what an insane concept. I think the skirts are too sharp. The rest of the body has more gentler edges in general. Are the skirts going to be flush with the body or over? what is the cage made of? awesome build ill be watching.

Edited by Filthysanches
premature click

Thanks guys !

Gary... The Audi R8 kit I've used is by Tamiya.

Sonny... Good to hear from you, bout time you impressed us all with another build !  Yes the engine can be seen through the rear window, the boot opens , and I'm hopefully adding twin turbos in there !

Jason... Think the skirts are being left off, your right they don't really match !  As for the cage it's just plastic tube but I think it's a bit thin. I've run out of tubes so I'm waiting for more to arrive !

Edited by Lowlife ! !